Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2005, 10:40 am

I think it would be neat to open an interactive Church. More or less a Church for people who can't sit for long periods of time. The Pastor could hand out Character Scripts for each member to read out. And there could be a Stage that the Church Goers get onto and as the Pastor reads the Bible, members of the audience act out their assigned parts on Stage. I'm one of these people who has too much energy to be sitting there for two hours, never mind 15 minutes, and that's why this thought popped into my head. Than I would go to Church every Sunday. I want everbodys' input. Do you think it's a wonderful idea, or do you think I'm nuts?

queerpuppy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Mar 2005, 11:01 am

Surely the reason for going to church should be because you follow the religion, not because the sermons are fun.

I mean, surely you can believe in God, and be a good Christian (or whatever) without actually attending a church anyway.

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2005, 11:22 am

there are a lot of spiritual paths ( i'm shying away from the "religion" word) which use such psychodrama techniques. we used to in my church, when i was a catholic (so don't tell me about christianity, people - i KNOW). and they can be extremely powerful spiritual experiences.

as it is said in my own path - mirth and reverence.

Young_fogey
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Mar 2005, 11:23 am

See my answer under the other copy of your post.

*edit: here it is :)

Young_fogey wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:57 pm
The Catholic religion has beat you to it, Rebel! It's called liturgy. You've got scripts, costumes, music, smoke, repetitions - a glimpse of heaven for my kind of AS person. (And for lots of normal people historically and even a few today.)

I remember as a kid the talky Protestant service centred on the sermon, the 'hymn sandwich' with songs opening and closing it, bored the hell (LOL) out of me!

Last edited by Young_fogey on 22 Mar 2005, 1:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Feste-Fenris
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2005, 12:13 pm

That sounds very interesting...

A church LARP...

I get to be Satan... I'm lean and hairy and my clothing smells bad...

Young_fogey
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Mar 2005, 1:52 pm

The postmodern or 'emergent' church phenom seems to be partly what you want too.

thechadmaster
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2005, 3:15 pm

Thats interesting Cockney Rebel, During Palm Sunday Mass, we have 4 readers on the altar (i got to be one) and we had a "narrative" a script if you will, and we read the Passion as a Play

Paula
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2005, 6:21 pm

Great Idea CockneyRebel, and there are churches that are doing that more because of what you mentioned. It helps people remember the sermon alot better. I have heard of churches that do that. My church dosn't but then again we clap our hands, and dance and have a great time, so it's hard to get bored. The bible says to, so we do. Psalms 150. You will find what you suggested more in the Charasmatic or Pentecostal (No they are not all holy rollers) churches. Calvary Chapels I think tend to do that too, but I'm not 100% sure. You'd have to check, visit alot of different places and see where you fit. And best to you. Who knows maybe you'll find a church and you'll be the one to start what you suggested. Probably with the Youth Group first. I do that with my Sunday school class. God Bless

echospectra
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Mar 2005, 7:38 pm

Oh, yes yes!!

They could read the scripts from this book... These plays (they're radio plays) make the story very alive, and make it easier to see the big picture of what's going on.

TAFKASH
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2005, 7:49 pm

Entertainment in church????! !?!?!?!?? Heresy!! !! !! ! Old Jesus'd be spinning in his grave fast enough to run a decent sized generator off of.....

The whole point of going to church is to be made to feel bored, cold, miserable, uncomfortable and unhappy (and several emotionally blackmailed out of pounds poorer, naturally), and to go home afterwards knowing what a crummy, worthless, serial-sinning little speck of sputum you are......

Entertainment in church, indeed...... :roll:

Paula
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2005, 7:51 pm

Do you have a scripture to back that up? funny I've never felt that way, and I go to church regularly. So sorry you feel that way.

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2005, 7:56 pm

Well I think the idea of church service as drama/spectacle is very much part of the catholic (and probably orthodox) mass. Possibly that's why catholicism is so appealing to gays and closet cases. The THEATRE dahling! Protestant services are rather plain, but then protestantism is a revolt against the high drama of those faiths.

I like your idea, and I can see why an aspie would like that, but it's probably something you could do as part of a bible study or fellowship group.

Myself, I don't think you need to go to church to be a christian, the real 'church' is an invisible web of believers.

Last edited by Postperson on 22 Mar 2005, 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TAFKASH
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2005, 7:56 pm

queerpuppy wrote:
I mean, surely you can believe in God, and be a good Christian (or whatever) without actually attending a church anyway.

....but how on earth are the church going to rich, and powerful, and greedy, and corrupted unless you're going to them and giving them money to become so every week? God wants you to make the church rich, he doesn't care a monkey's about any of that "living a good life" business.... Come on guy, get with the program..... :wink:

Young_fogey
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Mar 2005, 10:12 am

Quote:
Well I think the idea of church service as drama/spectacle is very much part of the catholic (and probably orthodox) mass. Possibly that's why catholicism is so appealing to gays and closet cases. The THEATRE dahling!

Well, yes.

Which is exactly why I though straight and not a closet case have several gay friends.

So religion not only gives me a rule book but also the fringe benefit of these gateway acquaintances for experiencing and understanding the larger, secular world.

axelkat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2005, 10:48 am

a lot of churches tend to have small groups which is more of a discussion.
A

echospectra
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Mar 2005, 9:05 pm

TAFKASH - go be bitter someplace else, okay? You don't really have an opinion about combining church and drama; you only have an opinion about christianity in general, and we all know what it is. You're only spoiling this thread for the people who care by repeating it.

I'm seriously thinking of leaving WrongPlanet because of this sort of thing.

- Ella