Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

echospectra
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Mar 2005, 9:05 pm

TAFKASH - go be bitter someplace else, okay? You don't really have an opinion about combining church and drama; you only have an opinion about christianity in general, and we all know what it is. You're only spoiling this thread for the people who care by repeating it.

I'm seriously thinking of leaving WrongPlanet because of this sort of thing.

- Ella

TAFKASH
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2005, 9:13 pm

echospectra wrote:
I'm seriously thinking of leaving WrongPlanet because of this sort of thing.

Oh please don't - you'd be so badly missed.....

TAFKASH
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2005, 9:25 pm

echospectra wrote:
TAFKASH - go be bitter someplace else, okay? You don't really have an opinion about combining church and drama; you only have an opinion about christianity in general, and we all know what it is. You're only spoiling this thread for the people who care by repeating it.

You're absolutely right, of course. How absolutely unspeakable it is of me to be expressing my puny opinions - please accept my unreserved apologies and assurance that I will never express an opinion here ever again unless you deign to vet it for me first via PM.

Mithrandir
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2005, 2:31 am

TAFKASH wrote:
Entertainment in church????! !?!?!?!?? Heresy!! !! !! ! Old Jesus'd be spinning in his grave fast enough to run a decent sized generator off of.....

The whole point of going to church is to be made to feel bored, cold, miserable, uncomfortable and unhappy (and several emotionally blackmailed out of pounds poorer, naturally), and to go home afterwards knowing what a crummy, worthless, serial-sinning little speck of sputum you are......

Entertainment in church, indeed...... :roll:

That is unless you go to a church with gospel singing.
Then it becomes fun!

In the past people used to think that we should all suffer to gain a good entrance into heavy. They also believed in self mutilation and whippings.
I don't see anywhere in the Bible where it condones the whipping of yourself.

An interesting thing is one of the ten commandments is no idols of worship yet we have signs of the apostles everywhere.

As for Christianity itself and what I believe in, I am an agnostic.

TAFKASH
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2005, 6:46 am

Mithrandir wrote:
That is unless you go to a church with gospel singing.
Then it becomes fun!

In the past people used to think that we should all suffer to gain a good entrance into heavy. They also believed in self mutilation and whippings.
I don't see anywhere in the Bible where it condones the whipping of yourself.

An interesting thing is one of the ten commandments is no idols of worship yet we have signs of the apostles everywhere.

As for Christianity itself and what I believe in, I am an agnostic.

Indeed - the Anglican tradition, that futile attempts were made to be forced upon me, is very much of the "thou shalt suffer for thy sin of existence" school, which only ever made me hate it even more. This is what religion means to me I'm afraid, and what it has traditionally stood for - after all, most forms of entertainment are seen as sinful in so many religious belief systems anyway...... It just seems to me that adding "entertainment" into the mix is just a tacit acceptance by religion that its lost - in the (relatively) enlightened 21st century religion can't just bully people into accepting its doctrine, but has to now entice them in via other, disguised and underhand means.... This all seems a part of a long, slow evolutionary process religion has been going through - steadily selling its soul in order to survive.

And don't get me started on the "no idols" thing..... :roll: I think that's another topic for another day.

Paula
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2005, 6:15 pm

As a devout born again Christian, one thing I have noticed in Scripture...it was the religious teachers who were Christ's biggest critics. Religion is one thing faith is another. Neither my husband nor myself are involved in the faiths we were raised in, nothing against them it's just not our thing. Have I been hurt by church people? YES, is it Jesus's fault? No, my faith is in him, not in human beings who are capable of making mistakes or twisting scripture to condone their own personal issues. At the end of the day, I did my best, for me, my walk with Jesus actually brought on a freedom I didn't know I could have. Is he done with me yet? NO, I still need work. But hey, works for me.

echospectra
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Mar 2005, 7:24 am

TAFKASH wrote:
Oh please don't - you'd be so badly missed.....

You have my sympathy.

TAFKASH wrote:
You're absolutely right, of course. How absolutely unspeakable it is of me to be expressing my puny opinions - please accept my unreserved apologies and assurance that I will never express an opinion here ever again unless you deign to vet it for me first via PM.

You have missed the point.

TAFKASH
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2005, 7:43 am

echospectra wrote:

No - I got the point entirely: namely your seemingly paper-thin faith which appears incapable of brooking even the slightest questioning without throwing you into a hissy fit...... If your beliefs are really that weak then you have my sincere pity - other people are more than welcome to question the legitimacy of own beliefs without causing me to start irrationally and wildly slagging them off for it......

echospectra
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Mar 2005, 7:53 am

TAFKASH wrote:
echospectra wrote:

No - I got the point entirely: namely your seemingly paper-thin faith which appears incapable of brooking even the slightest questioning without throwing you into a hissy fit...... If your beliefs are really that weak then you have my sincere pity - other people are more than welcome to question the legitimacy of own beliefs without causing me to start irrationally and wildly slagging them off for it......

And yet again. Let's stop this.

TAFKASH
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2005, 8:04 am

echospectra wrote:
And yet again. Let's stop this.

Yes, let's.....

duncvis
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2005, 4:51 pm

...and the referee steps in and sends the protagonists back to their corners. Enough! TAFKASH has the right to consider religion to be twaddle. Echospectra has the right to disagree. That doesn't justify personal attacks or telling other members which threads they may post a dissenting opinion on - this forum is for debating. End this bickering now please. :shameonyou:

Dunc

www.last.fm/user/nursethescreams <<my last.fm thingy

FOR THE HORDE!

AegNuddel
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Mar 2006, 8:31 pm

Our Lutheran (yes that's a PROTESTANT denomination) often has people doing readings and when we had a full time music director did some full blown musicals.