Compulsory abortion for DS foetuses, says UKIP candidate

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2013, 3:14 pm

I do my best to give UKIP the benefit of the doubt, then I read about howlers such as this and wonder if they are any better than the BNP-lite. Presumably he would also be fine for autistic foetuses to be aborted.

Whats interesting is that this individual was never reprimanded or expelled from the party. Mr Farrage thinks its fine to have these sorts of individuals in government.

Quote:
Mothers with foetuses detected to have Down’s syndrome and other disabilities should be forced into a compulsory abortion, according to a UKIP candidate’s ‘personal manifesto’.

http://www.gravesendreporter.co.uk/news ... _1_1745952

My deviant art profile

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2013, 3:24 pm

Why are you digging up a story from six months ago?

This man was kicked out of the party and won't be allowed to stand again. But I shouldn't be surprised that you lie about your opponents.

I was horrified by this as anyone.

(Hint: there are stories that you could find out there that could possibly make UKIP look less than completely white, but I'm not going to help you.)

Last edited by Tequila on 05 May 2013, 3:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2013, 3:30 pm

To prove that you are an ideologically-driven liar:

Quote:
UKIP suspends Down's syndrome abortion call candidate

A UKIP candidate who called for an NHS review to look at compulsory abortion of foetuses with Down's syndrome or spina bifida has been suspended.

The party said Geoffrey Clark, who is standing for Kent County Council, would not be a UKIP councillor if elected.

"Mr Clark has been formally suspended as a UKIP candidate and will not be standing for the party again.

This was a day or two after his comments. I can imagine he was booted out forthwith.

If you like, I can e-mail UKIP South East on the matter?

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

05 May 2013, 3:44 pm

Do you support abortion Thomas? If you can see the immorality of this disgusting belief then how could you rationalize abortion for the purposes of convenience?

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2013, 3:51 pm

Tequila wrote:
Why are you digging up a story from six months ago?

This man was kicked out of the party and won't be allowed to stand again. So you lie, once again. But I shouldn't be surprised that you lie about your opponents.

I was horrified by this as anyone.

Right, and was it before or after the public backlash that they finally backed down?

Official UKIP reaction at the time:
UKIP spokesperson wrote:
He said: “The comments in Geoff Clark’s personal manifesto regarding abortion do not represent party policy. As in any party, our members have a range of views and opinions which may not always accord with party policy. Geoff makes clear that this is a personal manifesto, not a party document. Geoff is a hard-working local activist who would make an excellent councillor.”

Either way, UKIP is having a hard time batting back a tirade of individuals with shady credentials from the party. No other 'moderate' party is having these issues. If they truly were a legitimate, respectable party this wouldn't be an issue. No smoke without fire, as they say.

http://www.eadt.co.uk/news/politics/wic ... _1_2171716

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... alute.html

http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/U ... z2RrMmN59k

My deviant art profile

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2013, 4:00 pm

thomas81 wrote:
Right, and was it before or after the public backlash that they finally backed down?

I agree that they were slightly slow in coming to grips with what was happening, but I'd put that down more to incompetence than malice.

thomas81 wrote:
Official UKIP reaction at the time:
UKIP spokesperson wrote:
He said: “The comments in Geoff Clark’s personal manifesto regarding abortion do not represent party policy. As in any party, our members have a range of views and opinions which may not always accord with party policy. Geoff makes clear that this is a personal manifesto, not a party document. Geoff is a hard-working local activist who would make an excellent councillor.”

So even immediately, his views were soundly rejected by UKIP.

It took them a day or two to suspend him. Big deal.

thomas81 wrote:
Either way, UKIP is having a hard time batting back a tirade of individuals with shady crudentials from the party.

Because they appeal to a wide range of people.

If a left-wing populist party was searing in the polls, they would have precisely the same problem. And it's not the vast bulk of candidates. Out of, what, 1,500+ candidates, the Conservatives managed to find six that might have been iffy. Hardly a show of massive bigotry within UKIP now, was it? And remember that the Tories had every reason to go for broke in trying to find dirt on these candidates. (In fact, I believe some local UKIP councillors have actually been smeared by Tories.)

thomas81 wrote:
No other 'moderate' party is having these issues.

Piss off. Labour allows former avowed neo-Nazis into their party, so I'll take no poxy lectures from a terrorist supporter like yourself.

thomas81 wrote:
If they truly were a legitimate, respectable party this wouldn't be an issue.

Or perhaps they're a rapidly growing party experiencing teething problems. As I have explained, UKIP are more threadbare organisationally than they look.

thomas81 wrote:
No smoke without fire, as they say.

Which is a fallacy, as you should know.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2013, 10:35 am

I should think that both pro-lifers and pro-choicers would agree that no woman should be forced to have an abortion.
So, who did that crazy man think his idea would appeal to?

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2013, 10:40 am

YippySkippy wrote:
I should think that both pro-lifers and pro-choicers would agree that no woman should be forced to have an abortion.
So, who did that crazy man think his idea would appeal to?

Eugenicists? Nazi supporters?

Of more concern, however, is that another eugenicist, Colin Brewer, actually was re-elected to Cornwall County Council. This is the man who said that disabled kids should be put down.

I'm strongly in favour of free speech, and I'd be interested to find out why people would vote for him. He was only re-elected by something like 4 votes though. If it were me, and there was another Independent (or UKIP) candidate I liked, I'd be campaigning for them.

Last edited by Tequila on 06 May 2013, 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2013, 10:45 am

Sadly, he only speaks aloud what some people really think. In the discussion of an online newspaper article of a german moderate newspaper, that was about prediagnostic, people also stated this messages. As example that people that get disabled babies, when prediagnostic should have given them the chance to abort it, should be refused from social funding, because of them getting a disabled baby "on purpose" and asocially thinking that the society should support them as other parents that have disabled babies "without purpose".

I simply couldnt believe, that those people really thought themselves to be the good ones, that need to protect society from "asocial parents", getting disabled babies "on purpose" because of not aborting them. I was simply ashamed and sad beyond believe. Sadly noone kicked these people out of anywhere. :(

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2013, 11:21 am

Sadly, the average Down's Syndrome baby is far more likely to be aborted than kept these days anyway ie theres no need for compulsion as parents will willingly abort anyway :(

It's highly ironic as the people who are a drain on the system are the genetically 'perfect' NTs who produce endless babies and don't bring their children up with any morals, so they end up in the criminal justice system and needing support from the public sector all their lives - these people are the real drain on society!

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2013, 11:25 am

Schneekugel wrote:
Sadly, he only speaks aloud what some people really think. In the discussion of an online newspaper article of a german moderate newspaper, that was about prediagnostic, people also stated this messages. As example that people that get disabled babies, when prediagnostic should have given them the chance to abort it, should be refused from social funding, because of them getting a disabled baby "on purpose" and asocially thinking that the society should support them as other parents that have disabled babies "without purpose".

I simply couldnt believe, that those people really thought themselves to be the good ones, that need to protect society from "asocial parents", getting disabled babies "on purpose" because of not aborting them. I was simply ashamed and sad beyond believe. Sadly noone kicked these people out of anywhere. :(

Erk!

Shades of Aktion T4 coming through there!

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2013, 12:52 pm

Jacoby wrote:
Do you support abortion Thomas? If you can see the immorality of this disgusting belief then how could you rationalize abortion for the purposes of convenience?

completely irrelevant tangent.

My deviant art profile

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2013, 2:35 pm

On the one hand, I am very mindful of the fact that this little gem was contained in a "personal manifesto" and that the party distanced itself from it as soon as the issue presented itself.

On the other hand, I am equally mindful of the aphorism, "you will be judged by the company you keep." The party severed its link to this creature, but before it did so, he was one of the candidates that the party would have seen elected.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2013, 4:22 pm

visagrunt wrote:
On the one hand, I am very mindful of the fact that this little gem was contained in a "personal manifesto" and that the party distanced itself from it as soon as the issue presented itself.

On the other hand, I am equally mindful of the aphorism, "you will be judged by the company you keep." The party severed its link to this creature, but before it did so, he was one of the candidates that the party would have seen elected.

This happens a lot with new political parties. The old ones such as Labour and the Conservatives have had decades to build up enough dependable manpower through local politics and youth organisations and so on. The new parties often have to go on a rapid recruitment drive to be able to fill up the seats they expect to gain in an election. This happened in the Netherlands with the parties of Pim Fortuyn and Geert Wilders. A whole bunch of them had to leave because they had done some questionable things in the past, or made unfornate comments. There was even a secretary of state who had to leave hours after she was sworn in.

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2013, 7:45 pm

Jacoby wrote:

Uh, did you miss the word "compulsory"? You do know that "compulsory" abortions are not pro-choice, right?

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2013, 2:54 am

trollcatman wrote:
This happens a lot with new political parties. The old ones such as Labour and the Conservatives have had decades to build up enough dependable manpower through local politics and youth organisations and so on.

They can much more easily laugh off or ignore their bigots (even when these bigots are in parliament!). A party like UKIP (I would have said the Greens if they were as popular as UKIP) cannot really afford to do that. So the standards for UKIP are being set are lot higher.

trollcatman wrote:
The new parties often have to go on a rapid recruitment drive to be able to fill up the seats they expect to gain in an election. This happened in the Netherlands with the parties of Pim Fortuyn and Geert Wilders. A whole bunch of them had to leave because they had done some questionable things in the past, or made unfornate comments. There was even a secretary of state who had to leave hours after she was sworn in.

Yes, the PVV is a good example. Actually, a member of the European Parliament (Daniël van der Stoep) for the PVV was expelled from their delegation because he had killed someone drunk driving.

UKIP, especially in its earlier days, have had the same problems with MEPs who have been found to have defrauded the system.

Similarly, in The Finns Party, officials - even elected ones I believe - have said some awful things. There may be more, but a newly-elected councillor for them said that a man who murdered a Moroccan-born pizza restaurant worker should be given a medal.

Any political party that is rapidly trying to expand on little has the issue of perhaps having problems with a small minority of their candidates.