Veteran

18 Feb 2016, 6:01 am

Meistersinger wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
AspieOtaku wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
AspieOtaku wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Most of them are all from the same group of genes which leads me to believe they are pretty much related to each other. I have no problem with them except for the fact so many are in awe of them. This friend I since broke up with was absolutely head-over-heels in love with Amish people and I am like, why??? I just don't get it. I really don't. Why do people like to put them on such a pedestal?
I dont, I think they are primitive and boring people! They might think im a warlock because im left handed too!

Another thing I don't understand, every exclusive, separate group that frowns upon outsiders and is mostly made of one gene pool gets called racist by outsiders none of them escape that label but I have never in my life heard anyone call the Amish racist. They always talk about how wonderful and graceful they are and admire them for behaving like what they accuse others of being COMMUNISTS. Come on, members of the same community going to another's house and building a barn just for the fun of it and to help another out is basically communism yet when Amish do it all the other Christian Europeans talk about how great, wonderful and gracious the Amish are and we as mere mortals cannot compete with such high standards. Why are they so worshiped?
I never hear or see any bad press.
Once, on Animal Planet, they had this draft horse, he was really nice and pretty only he had been nearly worked to death and was very sick and beat up from heavy, chafing harnesses and neglect. His feet were in really bad shape and he was in danger of being sold as dog meat. A horse rescuer was able to get him from the auction due to donations and she had to pay for his vet bills and everything. She said he came from Amish farms. If he had come from any other place, everyone would be all pissed off and made quite a commotion but everyone seems to feel duty bound to excuse the Amish for what others get a ton of flack for.
Thats no excuse to be cruel to animals I wouldnt be surprised if they beat their wives and kids either!

They follow "spare the rod spoil the child" edict from the Holy Bible and are firm exercisers of corporal punishment and everyone praises them like they are the only good people left on earth. They are descendants of German anabaptists fleeing religious prosecution in Europe in the 1700s and they have had the same gene pool since.

And believe me, from all of the line breeding through marriage (first cousin to first cousin, etc.), that goes on in Southern Lancaster county, they have plenty of problems in a rapidly diminishing gene pool. I'm surprised autism hasn't cropped up in their genetic makeup. Of course, we're only talking about a small segment of the Amish population, namely the so-called Old-Order Amish. The newer orders of Amish, you couldn't tell the difference between them and the Mennonites. As an aside, at least the Mennonites are willing to give their fellow humans a helping hand in times of disaster.

I am from a Mennonite family in a small rural community who has married within their local Mennonite church for 150 years until my generation. (I told my husband when I first met him, that if he was in our local history/geneology book tracing my family line that I couldn't date him. It sounded like a joke, but I meant it.) Myself and most of my cousins have married spouses outside of our local gene pool. My brother's wife's family is in our local geneology book though.

My parents are double third cousins (3rd cousins through my paternal grandmother's lineage and also through my maternal grandfather's lineage) and while we are not all diagnosed, it is pretty safe to say there is most definitely autism in our gene pool. I have 1 kid diagnosed and 1 that I suspect but have chosen not to pursue diagnosis for, for various reasons; my cousin has 2 kids with autism; my dad's cousins have at least 2 kids diagnosed with autism (these children would be my 2nd cousins). If you did a study on my dad's family, a good case could be made for my great-grandparents (both my grandmother's parents had aspergers-like symptoms that severely disrupted their lives at times, my grandmother, and at least 5 of her 7 children having some degree of aspergers or high functioning autism. My dad and my youngest aunt seem to be the most severely affected of their generation.

There are doctors who specialize in the genetic diseases of the Amish. I have friends from Amish background whose cousins have been seen by a Lancaster area dr for a liver condition that is prevalent to the Amish genetic pool. I forget his name though.

The cases such as my family do not receive a lot of attention because, in the greater scheme of things, the medical community don't really care or don't see the possibilities. A lot of Mennonites don't go to the dr unless they absolutely need to.

It might be an interesting study, but is it going to help anyone a lot? Well, maybe. My family is not unique to the Mennonite community; I think there are other genetic studies that could be done amongst those of us with straighter family trees. Mennonite communities would be great for this because a lot are interested in history and geneology and there is a lot of data on such things.

and his pride won't let him
do things to make you think he's right."
-Ed Bruce

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2016, 8:25 am

I think you're a good, sensible, smart woman.

Your husband is lucky to have you as his wife.

probly.an.aspie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2016, 2:00 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I think you're a good, sensible, smart woman.

Your husband is lucky to have you as his wife.

Well, thanks! I am not sure if that is on topic, but thank you for the nice compliment. I think he agrees with you...at least most of the time. Lol.

-Ed Bruce

probly.an.aspie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2016, 2:07 pm

Meistersinger, I thought the first cousin marriages, even among the Old Order Amish, were nixed by now. As in, legally can't happen. I could be wrong. However, since up till a very few generations ago, they were common, the damage is done for a lot of people.

What we see in a lot of our Mennonite families now are the "double cousins." I have several relatives who fall into this category. A young man sees a young lady who catches his eye, and as the families get to know each other, the young lady's brother sees that his sister's boyfriend has a sister who is young, pretty and unattached. He asks her for a date. Within the next few years, you have two new families with 4 or 5 kiddos each and these kids would be what I would term "double cousins" as they are related on both their mother's and father's sides of the family...not as damaging to genetics of children as first cousin marriages, but still keeps the gene pool small.

-Ed Bruce

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2016, 8:37 am

Surprisingly, first-cousin marriages are legal in at least some states in the United States--perhaps most states.

probly.an.aspie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2016, 10:18 am

I see Meistersinger is from Pa so I am assuming he is referring to his home state. According to the following link that breaks it down by state, PA does not allow first cousin marriages under any circumstances. There are some that do, some that don't, and some that allow it only if there is almost no chance of children resulting from such marriages.

http://www.ncsl.org/research/human-serv ... cousi.aspx

I never looked it up, just was going on my assumption and what I heard others say. It is a topic that comes up from time to time in Mennonite circles (obviously). Now I know. :)

-Ed Bruce

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2016, 10:22 am

In New York State, it's totally legal!

I was shocked when I found that out!

When I was about ten, I had a little crush on a girl who was my third cousin. Even at age 10, I was concerned about the family relationship.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2016, 2:55 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
In New York State, it's totally legal!

I was shocked when I found that out!

When I was about ten, I had a little crush on a girl who was my third cousin. Even at age 10, I was concerned about the family relationship.

If we were to look back in our family trees, we'd all probably find plenty of first cousin marriages.
Edgar Allen Poe had married his first cousin, which was not at all out of the ordinary at the time, and the famous gunfighter Doc Holiday had had a romance with his first cousin.

probly.an.aspie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2016, 10:10 pm

I grew up in a close knit family and a lot of my cousins were--and are--almost as close as siblings. When we were children, we saw each other a lot, did stuff together, were back and forth at each other's houses. As adults, a lot of us are still close although we don't see each other as much.

Personally, i couldn't even think about my first cousins as marriage material--they were more like my brothers. It would have felt too weird to even think about marrying them. I love them dearly, but not in that way.

-Ed Bruce