Page 2 of 7 [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 5:24 am

They are narrow minded primitive bible thumping farmers! They are uneducated and prefer to remain stupid for their lord and savior for science is the devil!

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 7:37 am

AspieOtaku wrote:
They are narrow minded primitive bible thumping farmers! They are uneducated and prefer to remain stupid for their lord and savior for science is the devil!

That is because you think there can be a monopoly on virtue. As technology increases, some people will depart the boat, perhaps even all of us at some point. There is great value in being able to say 'enough' and mean it.

Was not spoken of the soul.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 1:05 pm

Amish only want to do everything the hard way and toil when technology makes things easier. They claim they shun television and telephones because it takes away from family time then they won't plow their fields with tractors. The horses take much longer. Time they could be spending with their family is spent in the field because they are too stubborn to utilize tractors.

TheGoggles
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 1:21 pm

I lived near Amish for a long time, and they're all pretty cool people if you don't mind horse poop on the roads. The younger men can be a bit surly, but what else is new? Plus they give a ton of produce away to their neighbors as good-will gestures.

As for the incest rumors bit, well.....I can't say I would be stunned if it were true.

UndeadToaster
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Feb 2014, 3:31 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
UndeadToaster wrote:
You never hear of anyone becoming the Amish, that they're all white is no surprise. I agree they're put on a pedestal too much, but I have seen some bad press in my area and I've been told that they can be cruel to their animals. Nobody cares if they are semi-communist because so few people know a lot about them and they aren't trying to impress they're beliefs on anybody. I think they get put on a pedestal, at least in my area, largely because of their response to the Nickel Mines school shooting.

This is the thing that gets me. In Lancaster county, Pennsylvania which is mostly Amish and has very pricey real estate, the Amish make money with puppy mills and they are just as bad as any puppy mill anywhere else. Where I live there are puppy mills, too, and people make a huge fuss about how inhumane they are and it's wrong to have them. They try to pass laws against them and they hate the ones who own them.
If it's Amish who have them, you never hear anyone criticizing because it's like they are a sacred cow and whatever they do is automatically deemed above reproach. It's such a double standard.

I certainly agree with you there. They should not be above reproach. Although my mom had mentioned to me when I asked her what puppy mills were that the Amish had them a lot so it's not like people don't know about it. Although I haven't heard much else about puppy mills, Amish or otherwise, in Lancaster. There was also some negative press regarding them (not as a group, but some Amish) recently. Something to do with beard cutting.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 3:52 pm

UndeadToaster wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
UndeadToaster wrote:
You never hear of anyone becoming the Amish, that they're all white is no surprise. I agree they're put on a pedestal too much, but I have seen some bad press in my area and I've been told that they can be cruel to their animals. Nobody cares if they are semi-communist because so few people know a lot about them and they aren't trying to impress they're beliefs on anybody. I think they get put on a pedestal, at least in my area, largely because of their response to the Nickel Mines school shooting.

This is the thing that gets me. In Lancaster county, Pennsylvania which is mostly Amish and has very pricey real estate, the Amish make money with puppy mills and they are just as bad as any puppy mill anywhere else. Where I live there are puppy mills, too, and people make a huge fuss about how inhumane they are and it's wrong to have them. They try to pass laws against them and they hate the ones who own them.
If it's Amish who have them, you never hear anyone criticizing because it's like they are a sacred cow and whatever they do is automatically deemed above reproach. It's such a double standard.

I certainly agree with you there. They should not be above reproach. Although my mom had mentioned to me when I asked her what puppy mills were that the Amish had them a lot so it's not like people don't know about it. Although I haven't heard much else about puppy mills, Amish or otherwise, in Lancaster. There was also some negative press regarding them (not as a group, but some Amish) recently. Something to do with beard cutting.
Those blasted neckbeards! Makes me want to go door to door athiest on them and provide electronic technology too! Muahahahaha!!

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 6:20 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Amish only want to do everything the hard way and toil when technology makes things easier. They claim they shun television and telephones because it takes away from family time then they won't plow their fields with tractors. The horses take much longer. Time they could be spending with their family is spent in the field because they are too stubborn to utilize tractors.

A relative who is a farmer had told me about his Hutterite neighbors (who I've already mentioned are much like the Amish), whose son (in his early twenties) has a TV hidden away in the hay in the barn.

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 6:44 pm

Hutterites are communists

Shrapnel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 6:47 pm

About 20 years ago, the Amish started to diversify out of farming when it became clear that subdividing a farm among sons wasn't sustainable as their population grew and land costs made buying new property prohibitive. Now, more than 70% of Amish household heads pursue non-farm lines of work.

Amish contractors and subcontractors work in at least a dozen states, and they can erect a house faster and for less money than traditional contractors. Since they aren't allowed to drive, they need a driver or other means to get to the job site. Contrary to popular belief they do use power tools, they simply aren’t allowed to own them. They are also known for careful woodworking, and in an industry known for unreliability and corner-cutting, the Amish, a community known for its strong work ethic, can be refreshing. On the downside, few use computers or cell phones, have insurance or will sign a detailed construction contract.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 7:02 pm

AspieOtaku wrote:
UndeadToaster wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
UndeadToaster wrote:

Those blasted neckbeards! Makes me want to go door to door athiest on them and provide electronic technology too! Muahahahaha!!

You should sneak them some E notebooks.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 7:38 pm

androbot2084 wrote:
Hutterites are communists

DAMN COMMIES! :lol:

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 7:41 pm

They built a barn for a friend's son up north.He said they did a great job,showed up on time, charged a decent price,and they work fast.There are some up in Missouri,their farms always look nice and tidy.There are signs that say Share the Road with a horse and buggy on it.The horse I saw pulling a buggy looked fat and slick.
I suppose they are just like anyone else,some good ,some bad.
Puppy mills are disgusting.Other people have them besides the Amish.One of out ex sheriff's mother got busted for having one.
The Amish should have to go by the same laws that everyone else does,I don't think they should be held up as special or above the law.
They make some damm good pickled peaches,cheese,and summer sausage.The food is top quality.

mds_02
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 9:16 pm

I think the reason the Amish are put on a pedestal despite theflaws in their culture is simple; we're just not used to seeing religious people put their money where their mouth is. It's impressive to see a group of people who stick to a moral code even when it's inconvenient for them (which, for the Amish, is pretty much all the time).

Misslizard wrote:
he said,"I can tell you're of the spirit but you need to get with the body."

Funny. I said that to a girl once. But I was trying to get her out of church.

And it feels pretty soft to me. 

Modest Mouse - The View

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 9:31 pm

It's impressive to some not all. They don't impress me. I have no wish to impose upon them any more than the rest of us are imposed upon. Besides, they do this thing where they let their kids be normal for a while before being confirmed by their bishops and if their kids decide not to be confirmed, they abandon them and yet they get such good press and people praise them to the skies for abandoning members of their families. They have lost children they throw to the wolves for not doing what they want. Other ex Amish have to pretty much adopt these fledglings so they don't die or have a nervous breakdown since Amish do not encourage their education, the only occupation open to them is construction. They can farm but we all know how limited opportunity there is in that.
They are basically unskilled in anything but carpentry and those are very low paying jobs and seasonal.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 10:02 pm

AspieOtaku wrote:

So what?
Don't become Amish and it won't be a problem for you.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

Weeding the garden can be a family thing, too.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2014, 10:19 pm

Raptor wrote:
AspieOtaku wrote:

So what?
Don't become Amish and it won't be a problem for you.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

Weeding the garden can be a family thing, too.

The women weed the garden the men plow the field so the are not together when the man is plowing.