Page 4 of 7 [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2016, 11:59 pm

I don't now a whole lot about Amish people except for what I've heard in Weird Al's "Gangster's Paradise" parody and other sources of satire. They're pretty much acceptable targets in a world where many targets are no longer acceptable. If they're racist they must not show it openly. An Amish with a 'tude? You know that's unheard of. :)

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2016, 1:19 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
I don't now a whole lot about Amish people except for what I've heard in Weird Al's "Gangster's Paradise" parody and other sources of satire. They're pretty much acceptable targets in a world where many targets are no longer acceptable. If they're racist they must not show it openly. An Amish with a 'tude? You know that's unheard of. :)

For all practical purposes it's irrelevant whether or not they're racists. There's is a closed comunity to all but other Amish and they live in rural areas that by nature don't have people of color. Some of the places I lived as a kid had Amish communities in the most rural parts of the county and neighboring counties and no one gave them much thought one way or another. They are a quietly separate entity with little to no interest in what lies outside.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2016, 4:34 am

Reviving a two year old thread that was too inane to exist when it was new is a double crime.

Like Raptor said :the Amish are closed community to all.

The Amish were a sect in Germany. They were persecuted there.They migrated to the USA a couple centuries ago. And they were persecuted in the US to some degree as well. But now exist in various enclaves in the rural US in relative mutual respect with the surrounding society. So they have a history somewhat like the Jews: a small religious group that remained small that was tied to the original ethnic group that founded the religion, and that moved around alot to escape persecution.

They are not big on evangelizing their faith. And outsiders do not flock in great numbers to convert to their religion either. So not surprisingly the demographics of the church members doesnt change much over time.

Jews call all non Jews "Gentiles".

Similarly the Amish refer to all non-Amish as "the English" because when they first arrived on the eastern seaboard of the USA they were among the first Germans, and the US had only recently broken away from Britain. So you and I are English. White, Black, Hispanic, it doesnt matter. If you're not Amish then you're "English". So the Amish are rather equal opportunity in their xenophobia!

And at the same time Blacks in America are at least as unenthused about giving up modern conveniences (like electricity) just to join a religion as are Whites ( if not more so). Blacks are often only a generation removed from sharecropper shotgun shacks without electricity and indoor plumbing themselves.I would not expect large numbers of Black Americans to want to reverse the recent Civil Rights movement to go back to that.

wowiexist
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2016, 9:48 pm

Although Amish are generally from German or Swiss ancestry, Amish itself is a religion not an ethnic group. Anybody could be Amish if they wanted to be. Kind of like most Hindus are Indian but a white or black person could be Hindu if they wanted to be.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2016, 10:07 pm

starkid wrote:
The Amish are of a common stock (German, if I recall correctly), and keeping to themselves is part of their way of life; they avoid all outsiders, including others of European descent. Racism is not their motivation.

Basically yes, they're like a tribe

Last edited by Feyokien on 14 Feb 2016, 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2016, 10:13 pm

i live near an amish community. if you want a house built quickly and well around here, you hire the amish. they are also pacifists, who truly believe in turning the other cheek. that is admirable.

Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2016, 8:09 am

i wouldn't call them racist, from what i understand most of their culture is handed down. i've never really heard of or known anyone to just get up one day and decide they're amish, they don't exactly promote a popular product for the rest of mainstream society to join in on. and since their culture was predominately white, with that said, it just stayed that way.

maybe they could be racist, but it isn't by virtue of their religion, it's probably because they just aren't exposed to other cultures enough to really know how not to be racist.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2016, 12:20 pm

I tried to join an Amish community many years ago, but was turned away. I hate the Amish! Someday, I will exact my revenge!

P.S. I've always found Amish women extremely sexy! Anybody else?

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2016, 12:38 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
I tried to join an Amish community many years ago, but was turned away. I hate the Amish! Someday, I will exact my revenge!

You are joking, aren't you?

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2016, 1:10 pm

Sheesh, you're the last person on this forum I figured would have to ask that question, Raptor!

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2016, 1:17 pm

Never can tell sometimes...

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2016, 11:16 pm

VegetableMan wrote:

what reason did they give for your exclusion?

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2016, 11:31 pm

^ It seems he was joking. If I'd thought about it longer I would have realised it before I asked.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2016, 6:28 am

wowiexist wrote:
Although Amish are generally from German or Swiss ancestry, Amish itself is a religion not an ethnic group. Anybody could be Amish if they wanted to be. Kind of like most Hindus are Indian but a white or black person could be Hindu if they wanted to be.

Dont know if this is in response to my post, or not, but I didnt say that "the Amish are an ethnic group". I said that their "ethnic make up" persists through time.

probly.an.aspie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2016, 6:37 am

Wow, there is a lot of speculation on this thread! By people who don't know much about the Amish or Mennonites. Most of it unflattering, to say the least.

I grew up Mennonite, and around Amish people in my area. They are like everyone else in this:

that there are good ones, and there are bad ones. There are the "clean" Amish whose places look like they sweep their driveway every morning; there are the "dirty" Amish who go barefoot from April to October (even the men) and smell like baths may be few and far between. There are those who are kind and sweet and practice what they preach, who would never beat their wives or children; there are those who try to get away with whatever they can get away with, without being excommunicated from the church. They are human too, like everyone else.

TV shows about the Amish are full of crap. Entertaining, maybe, if you like that stuff (I don't) but not realistic.

The tutorial in a nutshell:

Originally, the Mennonites and Amish were followers of Menno Simons, who led a religious/political movement of "Anabaptists" in Europe. Their main disagreement with the state church was compulsory infant baptism (the Anabaptists believed that baptism should not be done till the person was of an age old enough to understand why he/she was being baptized), and compulsory military service (they took the scripture about "when someone smites you on the right cheek, turn to him the other" to mean that one should not resist an enemy--including the belief that one should not bear arms against one's fellow man even if the govt said so).

Here is a link with a bio of Menno Simons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menno_Simons

Jakob Amman was a Swiss Anabaptist who was one of the leaders during a division among the Swiss Anabaptists over the Dordrecht Confession of Faith that had been drawn up by the Dutch Mennonites. Amman wanted clarity on 1) shunning those who had been banned from the church, 2) whether liars should be excommunicated, and 3) whether people could be saved who did not follow God's Word.

Here is a link with more details of the division and some biographical info on Jakob Amman.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jakob_Ammann

The division resulted in two separate groups of Anabaptists--the Mennonites and the Amish.

Obviously, this is a pretty shortened explanation but explains the origins of the two groups in a nutshell. Both the Mennonites and the Amish have more and less conservative groups that have originated in their churches. There is the Amish-Mennonite church, sometimes known as the Beachy Amish. The Amish and Mennonites are considered separate groups, but there is some overlap between the groups too, as they now work together at times; for example, in efforts such as disaster relief.

Are Amish/Mennonites racist? From my experience, I don't believe so. Yes, they are predominantly white. But they also reach out to people around the world. Africa in recent years had the fastest growing Mennonite church in the world. Check out the Mennonite Central Committee, a Mennonite Organization dedicated to helping those in need around the world, wherever the need may be. Mennonite Disaster Service is another organization.

MCC website
http://mcc.org/

MDS website
http://www.mds.mennonite.net/home/

There is also a population of Mennonites went to Russia at the invitation of Catherine the Great, at about the same time when Mennonites came to Pennsylvania at the invitation of William Penn. All these Mennonites were being persecuted in Europe and went to where they were offered a chance to live without persecution. The Russian Mennonites were later persecuted in Russia and went back to Germany. After WWII, a colony of Mennonites were given asylum in Paraguay, where they have a growing community to this day. The story of this is told in the book Up From the Rubble, by Peter and Elfrieda Dyck. And in a children's book Henry's Red Sea, by Barbara Smucker.

You can find both on amazon.
http://www.amazon.ca/Up-Rubble-Thousand ... 0836135598
http://www.amazon.ca/Henrys-Red-Sea-SMU ... 7s+red+sea

Mennonites in my area are known for helping those less fortunate than themselves. There is a local Mennonite lady who takes in foster care children whose needs are pretty daunting--the really tough ones who have extensive medical needs such as wheelchairs, feeding tubes, brain injuries, etc. She gives them a good home, clean clothes, plenty to eat, and lots of love. I have never seen a child with her who looked unloved and uncared for.

Hard work? Yes. Limited schooling? Yes. They have a religious exemption to allow their children to finish school early, typically 8th to 10th grade. but many of these kids get a GED or learn a trade to function in society. I don't know any Mennonite kids who are not industrious and taking care of themselves and/or their families. And I know quite a few Mennonites. They are not a drain on govt funds--in fact, most of them won't accept any kind of govt aid, even minimally such as WIC. They also typically don't use insurance companies, choosing instead to use Mennonite-founded organizations such as group sharing plans for medical expenses and/or losses from fires. Our plain Mennonite neighbors had their home partially burn down and the next day they and their church people were out cleaning up. The new roof was on the house in less than a week. It is a different way of life, counter-culture to be sure. They are not gods, nor are they villains. Just people who have chosen a different life style than most.

My husband and I left the Mennonite church, for various reasons. We are not on board with all the theology that is taught, and don't feel that we want to raise our children with those teachings.

The branch of the Mennonites I grew up with were the ones who dressed plainly but drove cars and had electricity in their homes. My parents have slowly become less plain over the years--now to see them, you would not guess that they are Mennonite. My mother has her hair cut and wears slacks; my dad wears regular work clothes that you would see on a typical blue collar middle aged guy. But the Mennonite community is alive and well and they would certainly consider themselves a part of it.

This is not an extensive education on the Amish and Mennonites but I hope it helps shed some light on them for those interested.

Any questions, let me know and i'll try to answer.

and his pride won't let him
do things to make you think he's right."
-Ed Bruce

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2016, 5:00 pm

^ Very informative and enlightening.
Thanks