Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2014, 11:41 pm

anthropic_principle wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Skibz888 wrote:
The phrase is so common it even has its own Wikipedia article.

Essentially, it means someone who subscribes to a certain spiritual philosophy but not to its attached system of organized religion. For example, I personally identify as a deist, in that I believe in God but I don't adhere to the dogma of any specific denomination as I largely reject the construct of man-made organized religion. Though you could call me "spiritual but not religious", it's not a term that I would use, mostly because it...well, it sounds pretentious.

Basically this.

People in denominations are in that denomination's box. Athiests have their own dogma. So if you're floating free, not in a specific domination, and also not in the atheist box, then you're a heretic to every dogma. And they all wanna burn you at the stake!

Atheists* have their own dogma? care to elaborate? i don't have to adhere to any dogma to lack a belief in god/s.
What other atheists tend to believe or how they tend to act shouldn't affect your position on the question of god's existence in any way..

Some atheists are just people who happen to not believe in god. A lot of atheists are as bad as evangelical Christians. They constantly try to convince people that god doesn't exist and everyone who believes in god is delusional.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2014, 12:28 am

DevilKisses wrote:
anthropic_principle wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Skibz888 wrote:
The phrase is so common it even has its own Wikipedia article.

Essentially, it means someone who subscribes to a certain spiritual philosophy but not to its attached system of organized religion. For example, I personally identify as a deist, in that I believe in God but I don't adhere to the dogma of any specific denomination as I largely reject the construct of man-made organized religion. Though you could call me "spiritual but not religious", it's not a term that I would use, mostly because it...well, it sounds pretentious.

Basically this.

People in denominations are in that denomination's box. Athiests have their own dogma. So if you're floating free, not in a specific domination, and also not in the atheist box, then you're a heretic to every dogma. And they all wanna burn you at the stake!

Atheists* have their own dogma? care to elaborate? i don't have to adhere to any dogma to lack a belief in god/s.
What other atheists tend to believe or how they tend to act shouldn't affect your position on the question of god's existence in any way..

Some atheists are just people who happen to not believe in god. A lot of atheists are as bad as evangelical Christians. They constantly try to convince people that god doesn't exist and everyone who believes in god is delusional.

I was one of those preachy atheists when I was younger, but I eventually learned to cool it, since it was making me look like the evangelicals I despised so much. :P As well, I've been becoming more open to alternative spiritual and philosophical viewpoints on things, and I have been thinking about them a lot, but I'm still firmly materialist and non-spiritual.

luan78zao
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Nov 2014, 1:25 am

Ah, thank you, now I have some idea what is meant by the phrase. It always seemed to me to be a distinction without a difference, because I look at the issue epistemologically: if you believe in a "higher power," or even if you subscribe to a moral code which you take on faith, I consider you religious to that extent. Whether or not you adhere to any organized denomination is your business (and not of much interest to me).

If nothing else, SBNR is more concise than "having some religious beliefs, but not belonging to any particular denomination."

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission – which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." – Ayn Rand

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2014, 2:51 am

luan78zao wrote:
Ah, thank you, now I have some idea what is meant by the phrase. It always seemed to me to be a distinction without a difference, because I look at the issue epistemologically: if you believe in a "higher power," or even if you subscribe to a moral code which you take on faith, I consider you religious to that extent. Whether or not you adhere to any organized denomination is your business (and not of much interest to me).

If nothing else, SBNR is more concise than "having some religious beliefs, but not belonging to any particular denomination."

I think religion is related to following a book and schedule and spirituality is believing in a god. My dad used to be religious, but not spiritual. He regularly went to church, but he was secretly an atheist.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2014, 1:56 pm

Narrator wrote:
But even if our spirituality is only a function of our brains, that doesn't reduce its worth. Human spirituality, to me, is just as important to our well being as is our health. Meditation, reflection and mindful practices improve life quality in several ways.

I agree with this, but it sounds more Socratic than spiritual to me...

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2014, 1:58 pm

DevilKisses wrote:
I think religion is related to following a book and schedule and spirituality is believing in a god. My dad used to be religious, but not spiritual. He regularly went to church, but he was secretly an atheist.

What does believing in god get you?

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2014, 7:02 pm

GoonSquad wrote:

I see the belief in (a) God(s) as nothing more than a general ontological viewpoint: "I believe there are greater powers responsible for our existence" vs. "I believe there are no greater powers responsible for our existence". It's religion which promises all the "perks", e.g. getting into Heaven or having your prayers answered.

But there are a lot of Christians who don't follow organized religion in favor of a "personal relationship" with God, a lot of deists and agnostics who can agree with the existence of God but be otherwise non-spiritual and non-religious, and also a lot of nontheistic religions like Buddhism, Hinduism and Jainism in which a belief in God is irrelevant to their wider philosophies, so who knows? There are too many factors.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2014, 4:04 am

GoonSquad wrote:
DevilKisses wrote:

It helps a lot of people redirect personal responsibility for things. :roll: I'm not saying all theists are like this, but there are many who are.

Persimmonpudding
Toucan
Toucan

01 Dec 2014, 9:52 am

To quote Democritus, "Men ask in their prayers for health from the gods, but do not know that the power to attain this lies in themselves. By doing the opposite of what they should do, through lack of control, they themselves become the betrayers of their own health to their desires."

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2014, 10:55 am

^^^
And IRONICALLY enough although the message is still NOT HEARD OR practiced as whole, that was the message of THE REAL HISTORICALLY reported Jesus that GOD IS ALIVE within us for healing power, not some far far away imaginary entity of cultural and religious illusion.

But of course the real SCHOLARLY REPORTED HISTORICAL Jesus PER IF HE EXISTED was a naturist and more of A YOGI LEANING PERSON and a realist not an 'Illusionary or Delusionary', AS LATER WHAT he was made into by the early Catholics in charge and the Roman Emperor Constantine and others per a MYTHOLOGICAL ICON OF A WARRING RELIGION.

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

Cash__
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2014, 8:20 pm

DevilKisses wrote:
Why do people who are spiritual but not religious get hassled so much? Atheists think they're atheists in denial or future atheists. Religious people assume they're interested in going to church. Most people just think they're crazy hippies.

I have never seen people in this group get hassled more than any other group. Religious freaks are going to proselyte anyone who is not part of their particular denomination; whether they are atheist, agnostic, spiritual, another religion or another denomination. I haven't seen them harassing spiritual, but not religious, people anymore then the other aforementioned groups.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2014, 4:57 am

Persimmonpudding wrote:
To quote Democritus, "Men ask in their prayers for health from the gods, but do not know that the power to attain this lies in themselves. By doing the opposite of what they should do, through lack of control, they themselves become the betrayers of their own health to their desires."

QFT

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2014, 6:09 am

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
Persimmonpudding wrote:

QFT

Quantum Field Theory?

(j/k)

And a blank look rarely means a blank mind.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2014, 7:33 pm

^^^
The acronym QFT means Quoted For Truth like Amen as affirmation. :)

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick