Page 64 of 105 [ 1680 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67 ... 105  Next

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2015, 9:12 am

DentArthurDent wrote:
Narrator I have been thinking about you post on the level of scientific knowledge displayed on this forum. I agree with you that most of us who think of ourselves as thinking critically about science have at best what I would describe as an intermediate level of scientific literacy, others on here like Rho have a similar level of scientific literacy but are like a very dilute version of Kurt Wise, actually no, I take that back, at least Kurt Wise has had the honesty to state publicly that he understands and accepts the validity of the science but cannot accept it because of his faith.

This forum several years ago had some great minds, some are still here like Ruveyn, his posts are just the barest stump of what they used to be, from memory he has a substantial knowledge in Maths. We had some theists on here who took Rho apart (even then he did not listen) among the brightest of them was Orwell, who I know has finished his post grad and is now majoring in some form of biology. Unfortunately all these posters have left and I agree the level of discourse has plummeted.

That being said I still find this site worthwhile, heck thanks to the declarations from David I stopped just accepting that entropy was not a problem and actually investigated it by mean of a series of Uni lectures, the same goes for Evolution caused manly by a dispute between Orwell and Iamnotaparrakeet (yet another YEC but a very good debater, one who really could challenge and force you to learn)

So yes I agree compared to the level of knowledge on display at sites like Rhandi and rationalskeptism this forum might seem a tad parochial, but at least some of us manage to learn and advance.

Hey thats a thought David as we are all SOOOO useless in combating your amazing intellect, maybe you should try some more worthwhile opponants over at http://www.rationalskepticism.org they have a whole forum devoted entirley to young earth creationism. Although I dont usually like bloodsports i will just sit back and enjoy :wink:

"The Friendly Atheist" website is also VERY good. I'm not a member there, but I've considered it. COMPLETELY different atmosphere from most forums that I've seen.

The hostility that had at one time been rampant on WP PPR conflicted with the spirit of the WP forum as a whole. I just figured it was a sort of cultural norm and went with it. I respect the decisions of "upper management," but I simultaneously miss some of those guys you mentioned.

daniel1948
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Mar 2015, 9:18 am

The first problem with attempting to prove or disprove the existence of God is that there are too many conceptions of God, many of them contradicting others. So the best you can do is select one particular God at a time to try to prove or disprove.

The Christian God does not exist because he is self-contradictory. He is a logical impossibility. Love contradicts the existence of hell. Knowledge of the future contradicts the Heisenberg uncertainty principle. The Marcionites wrote an entire book detailing contradictions between the character of the God of the OT and the God of the NT, who modern Christians insist are the same person.

The God of the Deists cannot be proven or disproven because that god merely created the world, by unspecified means, and then has ignored it ever since.

The Greek and Roman gods were neither all-powerful nor all-knowing and while capable of love, did not love everyone and were quite fond of very human pleasures and intrigues.

I have friends for whom God is not a personal entity with volition, nor a creator, but rather God is "everything." For them, God is the trees and the rocks and the plants and all living things including ourselves. For them God is merely another word for nature.

So first tell me which God you want me to disprove (since I don't believe in any of them except the last, and that's just a pointless redefinition of the word) and I'll address the question.

But this much is certain, without the least shadow of a doubt: If there is a creator, there is no way to know anything about that creator. What it wants from us, what it thinks or feels or what reason it had for creating. You can believe whatever you like, but if you believe you know the creator, you are deeply deluded.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2015, 9:37 am

The Creator, to me, was the non-sentient initiator of all the dynamics of the universe.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2015, 9:58 am

daniel1948 wrote:
The Christian God does not exist because he is self-contradictory. He is a logical impossibility. Love contradicts the existence of hell. Knowledge of the future contradicts the Heisenberg uncertainty principle. The Marcionites wrote an entire book detailing contradictions between the character of the God of the OT and the God of the NT, who modern Christians insist are the same person.

"Hell" as such is never mentioned in the Bible. It's a sort of invention, a catchall word to refer to a state of eternal separation from God. The word used in the NT is "Gehenna," which was a reference to an actual physical place as an analogy for the state of the soul that eternally resides in complete solitude away from God's presence. The Greek word Hades is also used, but Hades and "Hell" are not necessarily synonymous. Hades might refer to a place of punishment, and the Hebrew "Sheol" is used interchangeable with "Hades." It can refer simply to "the grave," a place of punishment, or merely a temporary resting place for the soul while it awaits the resurrection. But it's not supposed to be strictly interpreted as a place of punishment.

As to contradicting a loving God--why would someone who spent a lifetime of rejecting God want to spend eternity with God? If God is loving, why would he condemn someone to an eternity in heaven if being in God's presence after a lifetime of rejection? Wouldn't that just be another Hell?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2015, 10:02 am

How could you "contradict" something which you don't believe exists?

If there's a God, I believe He/She would have the cognitive to awareness to know that the nonbeliever is not directly contradicting Him/Her.

If the nonbeliever becomes a believer shortly before it's "time to go," I'm sure God will welcome this person into His/Her kingdom with open arms.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2015, 11:52 am

daniel1948 wrote:
The first problem with attempting to prove or disprove the existence of God is that there are too many conceptions of God, many of them contradicting others. So the best you can do is select one particular God at a time to try to prove or disprove.

The God of the Deists cannot be proven or disproven because that god merely created the world, by unspecified means, and then has ignored it ever since.

The Greek and Roman gods were neither all-powerful nor all-knowing and while capable of love, did not love everyone and were quite fond of very human pleasures and intrigues.

I have friends for whom God is not a personal entity with volition, nor a creator, but rather God is "everything." For them, God is the trees and the rocks and the plants and all living things including ourselves. For them God is merely another word for nature.

So first tell me which God you want me to disprove (since I don't believe in any of them except the last, and that's just a pointless redefinition of the word) and I'll address the question.

But this much is certain, without the least shadow of a doubt: If there is a creator, there is no way to know anything about that creator. What it wants from us, what it thinks or feels or what reason it had for creating. You can believe whatever you like, but if you believe you know the creator, you are deeply deluded.

The Creator is CREATION as IS
GOD
IS.

GOD IS
VERB;
Hell NO,
NO noun.

Any questions...;)

And hell yes, I know THE Creator INtimately.

Sorry, if one does not; and yell NO perusing skELtons
of words, math, and other abstract concepts of human
mind will never ever get one tHere,

alone.

Other creatures are not functionally disabled by illusions
of abstract constructs from a mind that lives in neocortical
illusions of past and future and rarely
NOW
as
GOD
IS
NOW
GOD
IS
IS
NOW
GOD IS
IS.

Anymore questions....;)

OH GOD.. HUMANS ARE SO DAM 'SMART'..
SO CLOGGED UP
LIKE A DAM
ILLUSION.

ABSTRACT WRITTEN LANGUAGE AND CULTURE
IS
A
VIRUS, MOREOVER, THAN
creature comfort.

Questions...

ANY

one..:)

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2015, 12:12 pm

AngelRho wrote:
daniel1948 wrote:

"Hell" as such is never mentioned in the Bible. It's a sort of invention, a catchall word to refer to a state of eternal separation from God. The word used in the NT is "Gehenna," which was a reference to an actual physical place as an analogy for the state of the soul that eternally resides in complete solitude away from God's presence. The Greek word Hades is also used, but Hades and "Hell" are not necessarily synonymous. Hades might refer to a place of punishment, and the Hebrew "Sheol" is used interchangeable with "Hades." It can refer simply to "the grave," a place of punishment, or merely a temporary resting place for the soul while it awaits the resurrection. But it's not supposed to be strictly interpreted as a place of punishment.

As to contradicting a loving God--why would someone who spent a lifetime of rejecting God want to spend eternity with God? If God is loving, why would he condemn someone to an eternity in heaven if being in God's presence after a lifetime of rejection? Wouldn't that just be another Hell?

This is great!

You seem to 'SEE' AND get the hidden metaphors revised all out of whack in the bible(S).

Yes, this 'Gehenna' place is a real human place that can exist in now, and when someone goes to this place of real human nothingness separated from creation as is, as A sentient human being, hell is truly an eternity of NOW, in real life; no fairy tale, a real human experience that is possible for this HUMAN metaphor thingy called hell.

SOME folks refer to it as an extreme form of Anhedonia, and that is Ok too, as Heaven IS KINDA LIKE HEDONISM FULL BLOWN!

THE ESSENCE OF TRUTH and LIGHT IS WHAT COUNTS.

VARIOUS CULTURAL AND RELIGIOUS METAPHORS THAT REFER TO THE SAME ESSENCE IN TRUTH AND LIGHT OF HUMAN LIFE, ARE nothing to get TOO tribal instinct ATTACHED TO, for simple understanding OF THE HUMAN CONDITION, as pART OF IS.

And YES, heaven now is the polar opposite of this hell place, where every second is an eternity of bliss where there is no perception of time and only the metaphor of heaven now.

And that baby, is wHere I live all the NOW, NOW, as I kept searching until the part of the creator that IS CREATION as IS, IN me became awakened, enlightened IN the TRUTH AND THE LIGHT THAT IS Innately, Instinctually, and Intuitively available FOR human beings who escape the illusions of the virus of human complex abstract written languages and culture; seeking, finding, and UTILIZING AND PRACTICING THE GIFT OF THE HIGHER POWER OF CREATION THAT EXISTS IN HUMAN BEINGS TO 'BE ALL THEY CAN BE', in MIND AND BODY BALANCE,

TO paraphrase

"BE ALL YOU CAN BE",

FROM the U.S. ARMY..;)

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2015, 12:42 pm

daniel1948 wrote:

Oh and by the way, IT IS NOT a pointless exercise to RENAME GOD AS NATURE.

THAT IS precisely what the reported gnostic gospel of THOMAS ATTEMPTS TO DO IN THE METAPHORS reporting the so-called words of so-called JESUS, AS LINKED HERE.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/chr/thomas.htm

THE REAL SO-CALLED JESUS IN THAT so-called sacred text, is more of a Yogi and a Pantheist Naturist than any myth or frigging fairly tale.

Seriously, if the world OF FRIGGING FUNDAMENTALIST RELIGIONS that DO BELIEVE this Jesus Dude existed, could just get straightened out on this simple 'little MISTAKE', THERE COULD BE A LOT LESS SUFFERING AND HUMAN MISERY, AND EVEN KILLING FIELDS OF BLOOD.

TO KEEP on talking about who is wrong and who is right, IS OF NO USE IN THE REAL WORLD, where people are miserable, suffering, and even dying, because of ignorance, even in understanding original SO-CALLED GNOSTIC CHRISTIAN TEXT.

THERE IS TRUTH AND LIGHT IN THOSE Gnostic Words, and that is what the world needs 'RIGHT' NOW; not myths, fairly tales, or people who want to prove that their way alone is correct.

TRULY Open miNds AND HEArTS find the agreements OVER the disagreements, and makes life better for ALL WHO ARE CONCERNED.

BUT WITH a lack of cognitive and or affective empathy the world can never DO THAT.

AND THAT PART, I DON'T have the answer for but DANCE, in finding and practicing MIND AND BODY BALANCE TO OPEN A HEART WILD AND FREE AGAIN, AND SADLY ENOUGH, there are too many 'HOMOPHOBES' WHO ARE AFRAID THEY ARE 'QUEER' IN THE WORLD, TO make that pART happen, it seems, at least where I live, IN PArT, in 'HOMOPHOBE CITY'..;)

appletheclown
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2015, 12:59 pm

The only people on this forum who disrupt the once good discourse of PPR, if there ever was any to begin with (i don't believe there was) are people who can't coexist. On that note, people who believe science and religion can't coexist don't help the already biased people get along.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2015, 3:31 pm

appletheclown wrote:
The only people on this forum who disrupt the once good discourse of PPR, if there ever was any to begin with (i don't believe there was) are people who can't coexist. On that note, people who believe science and religion can't coexist don't help the already biased people get along.

I think there's also a certain fundamental assumption of the shallowness of the issue. It's as if some people believe that science has gone all wrong and suggests all kinds of things that aren't so while others seem to feel that we're at the apex of discovery and that we've discovered 95% of what there is to know about nature, the universe, etc.. - either way it seems like a skewing of perspective based short-sightedness.

Any possibility that we'd felt at previous times in history that we were close to the end of discovery? I'm sure, it's the grand illusion of the now moment - same for the feeling of impending apocalypse and feeling like one is perpetually at the end of history; cognitively there's some truth to the later but that's been the sensation of being conscious and alive since the dawn of consciousness and linear time conception.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2015, 4:00 pm

appletheclown wrote:

Firstly looking at your joining date tells me you do not have the information to be able to conclude "I don't believe their was" Secondly it was not gentle discourse (although I do not remember anyone being quite as hostile and abrasive as David, he really is a special case in more ways than one), but the amount of people who were scientifically literate was far greater, which meant the likes of David and Rho would have their arguments questioned and falsified by many people. Some saw this as a kind of pack attack, rather it was simply a case that PPR have a far greater percentage of very scientifically literate people so any one coming in and postulating pseudoscience was quickly exposed.

Remembering this and also the piece by Kurt wise reminds me that no argument will change their minds, however I feel it is important not to let these people have free reign to influence otters with their nonsense. To that end I will continue to try and expose pseudoscience.

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2015, 4:10 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
I think there's also a certain fundamental assumption of the shallowness of the issue. It's as if some people believe that science has gone all wrong and suggests all kinds of things that aren't so while others seem to feel that we're at the apex of discovery and that we've discovered 95% of what there is to know about nature, the universe, etc.. - either way it seems like a skewing of perspective based short-sightedness.

From my perspective this is not true, I most certainly do not think we are anywhere near knowing 95% of what there is to know, in fact discoveries in particle physics/quantum mechanics, the science of the very cold suggest tht rather than being on a breakthrough to a theory of everything we might be on the verge of breaking through into another area where we have as little knowledge as we did before we the likes of Maxwell and Faraday. In other words I think there is a whole new area of physics that will emerge for which we have no knowledge. But hey who knows we may solve the mystery of joining General relativity to the standard model then who knows what advances we will make.

And this is essentially my point, if you look at this debate, aside from a couple of staunch atheist's it is only the religious who state they know what caused everything, it is only the religious who have the arrogance to say "we have the total answer"

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2015, 4:41 pm

I truly believe that we can't know everything until we've been everywhere.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2015, 4:41 pm

It's also a difficult debate because of the disagreements on what constitutes evidence. Shared facts can be debated, beliefs or unshared facts seem to just hit a wall.

One of the lines that seems to get violated in this a lot is the objective/subjective one. The healthy context of the subjective is something that I'd tend to think we'll really want to address more as a race of beings, mainly that while you don't want people to chase each other around with swords and guns to force other people to believe what they believe (the subjective crapping on the objective) it's been equally problematic when people try to smash the subjective into slavery to the objective or even suggest that the subjective is an operating hallucination - it takes receding back from that not to fall to nihilism.

We may find as time goes on that the subjective and objective intertwine in more fascinating ways than we might have previously realized and I think we'll find increasingly interesting ways to have the subjective and objective cross-pollinate so long as it's kept high brow such as in pursuits of art, music, and beauty in general rather than the left arm warring on the right or vice a verse. There seem to be some intrepid pioneers on the side of exploring the subjective and that's one of the places where a lot of my reading these days angles - precisely because so many people are already doing such deep and thorough exploration of the objective that I see the world of science filled with people already far more natural and versed in advanced math and experimental procedure. I figure if I really find a way to give back to the world around me it will be along my explorations of whats presently the road less traveled and what's also, by my best guess, the next shoe to drop.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2015, 5:52 pm

izzeme wrote:
proof would be possible, but we would need to see an actual miracle, in front of our very eyes, which cannot be explained by any science. (dont get me on the burning bush; that can be explained if it was a hennep bush; the guy could just have been trippin').

I have another possible explanation for the burning bush: perhaps it was a haystack, or a haystack nearby that suffered spontaneous combustion. Today we can explain spontaneous combustion of haystacks because we know the bacteria and other biological processes heat up the haystack and it can combust with the right humidity, but it must look like a miracle to people in the past.

Oldavid
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2015, 10:36 pm

Ho hum.

More of the same irrational vilification of some Straw Man that is supposed to "prove" that a fantastic nonscience, divorced from realistic observation (science) is "true" simply because it conforms to some prejudicial ideology.

My contention all along has been that the Materialist ideology will not stand up to any scrutiny by real science using a realistic scientific method. I have only claimed that fashionable Materialism is scientifically impossible, and have given ample reason and evidence in support of that contention.

That has apparently been enough to excite Materialist ideologues into a frenzy of fantastic accusations and assertions entirely irrelevant to the matter. Just what one would expect from chronic narcissists who can delude themselves (and anyone else vulnerable) into thinking that "science" is anything that pampers their way-out-of-control ego. As I've said before, I got to hate narcissists waaay back when I was a diminutive odd-bod in the primary school playground.

I do not suffer fools and charlatans gladly but I am reluctant to leave retiring, good, honest folk to be their fodder. Goliath needn't expect any deference from me.