Page 45 of 105 [ 1680 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48 ... 105  Next

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2015, 8:09 am

AspieOtaku wrote:

Don't forget about their living descendants, the birds. The dinosaurs never even went extinct, since we can just look out of our window and see their offspring.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2015, 9:26 am

sophisticated wrote:

Some more atheist logic:

Designed:

Not designed:

Birds are designoid. That is, they have the appearance of being designed, although they are not. Mutation generates variations on a form. Natural selection picks which one is less suited to it's environment based on reproductive success. That successful form is then the basis for new variations. We call it E-V-O-L-U-T-I-O-N. Can you say that? Evolution? I know you can.

Oldavid
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2015, 9:45 am

Of course, Snake Oil cannot work on anyone who does not swallow it.

You few who seem to have some functional integrity and reason will not assume that incessant blabber is some indicator of science.

Thus far, Materialism is presented as a purely ideological fad on the same level as Voodoo. "It is so because I say it is so".

The thing that I really hate about Materialism is that they assume we're all fools.

Everyone, everywhere has always known that water runs downhill.... the Entropy stuff... but the "clever-dicks" will insist that if you wait long enough water runs uphill.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2015, 9:52 am

AspE wrote:
Birds are designoid. That is, they have the appearance of being designed, although they are not. Mutation generates variations on a form. Natural selection picks which one is less suited to it's environment based on reproductive success. That successful form is then the basis for new variations. We call it E-V-O-L-U-T-I-O-N. Can you say that? Evolution? I know you can.

It seems also that there's usually a whole lot of recessive change built up before something radically different starts happening. That also tends to give some suggestion as to how a new population of a species can come in large enough to procreate itself without massive inbreeding rather than simply a one-off mutant spreading its fortuitous changes about.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2015, 10:48 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
That also tends to give some suggestion as to how a new population of a species can come in large enough to procreate itself without massive inbreeding rather than simply a one-off mutant spreading its fortuitous changes about.

Circumstances also contribute. It's not just that a fortuitous change crops up in an existing environment, but that it also happens when an environment changes. For example, a certain bird (the name of which escapes me) was originally found on the South America mainland without webbed feet. The very same breed made its way to the Galapagos Islands and in a relatively short period, developed webbed feet, better suited to the new environment.

And a blank look rarely means a blank mind.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2015, 10:54 am

Narrator wrote:
techstepgenr8tion wrote:
That also tends to give some suggestion as to how a new population of a species can come in large enough to procreate itself without massive inbreeding rather than simply a one-off mutant spreading its fortuitous changes about.

Circumstances also contribute. It's not just that a fortuitous change crops up in an existing environment, but that it also happens when an environment changes. For example, a certain bird (the name of which escapes me) was originally found on the South America mainland without webbed feet. The very same breed made its way to the Galapagos Islands and in a relatively short period, developed webbed feet, better suited to the environment.

Right, I think mostly a coagulation of the right recessive genes with that are what would do the most. I have a friend I talk to on here whose pretty well versed I think she was suggesting that random mutation happens but it's the more rare occurrence.

One of the more important thing probably is considering the gene sequence more like a keyboard in that can change in certain ways based on stresses. Good example is when a person, through poor diet over enough time, becomes a diabetic and the high glucose/fructose environment puts enough stress on the surrounding chemical structures/balances to cause that gene to give way. In that sense it's more like solid state memory with a certain amount of deliberate rewrite available rather than being a read-only form.

A lot of this really lends me the impression that a lot of the bashing of consciousness and the extent of its role in things is more political than scientific.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2015, 11:02 am

I often wonder about the process of what works as a stress on a gene sequence to "cause" a change. If I were better educated on the topic, things would be much clearer. What I have learned as a layman makes sense, but let's face it, I didn't spend 7 years at university doing it. ;)

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2015, 1:20 pm

Narrator wrote:
Some interesting music has been composed by computers in recent years.
Here's one piece:

Here's a whole article on some computers that compose:

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/2014080 ... ard-before

Oh yeah, old news. I'd PREFER to set up an interactive algorithm and just let the computer generate a MIDI data stream. It would save a lot of time. I just lack the knowledge and means to do that, but CSound, Supercollider, and Max/MSP all basically can accomplish what I have in mind. What I'd rather do is find a programmer to write something in, say, Java that would automate the process. What I'm looking to do is rather simple, no sound-mass generation or anything like that. In fact, the video you posted isn't far off the mark from what I'm interested in.

Some things I CAN do. Reason has a pattern sequencer and a customizable arpeggiator. My Korg X50 also has a user-programmable arpeggiator. It's possible in Logic to create sequences of controller messages that you could send to a midi synth and control filter cutoff frequencies, FM modulation indices, etc. Save project files with any number of these things set up as loops and, yeah, the computer can pretty much do the rest of the work for you in a quasi-intelligent sort of way.

I'm not ready for a "true" intelligent system, but the idea is fascinating. There's been people working on this since the 1960's.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2015, 6:00 pm

"The Origin of Species on the Basis of Natural Selection!"

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2015, 6:21 pm

Narrator wrote:
I often wonder about the process of what works as a stress on a gene sequence to "cause" a change. If I were better educated on the topic, things would be much clearer. What I have learned as a layman makes sense, but let's face it, I didn't spend 7 years at university doing it. ;)

Actually according to Tom Insel, the director of the NATIONAL Institutes of Mental Health, NIMH, science is showing now that environmental stresses that are social, like Bullying in middle school can lead to the expression of genes that area associated with schizophrenia, SEVERAL YEARS 'DOWN THE ROAD'.

And perhaps the same is true with Autism.

Put a person in a favorable niche and theY do well.

Do different and they do not do so well..

But seriously it's pretty sad when one cannot look around and determine this causal effect and affect in the environment without science to hold their hands but as the case of the human condition more and more people get stuck in their niche and rarely crawl out.

Freedom of INFORMATION IN THE IT AGE, AT LEAST provides the avenues for folks who do want to BREAK OUT OF MOLDS AND PURSUE MORE OF THEIR HUMAN POTENTIAL, 'CAUSE EPIGENETICS AND NEUROPLASTICITY IS THE STUFF OF HUMAN HELL AND HUMAN HEAVEN.

IT'S just a matter of finding the proper recipe of challenge, adapting and becoming a 'superman or superwoman'..relatively speaking, per the other folks who continue to stay in molds of stagnation that they may not
even have a reference point for, for what HUMAN POTENTIAL REALLY CAN BE, unleashed AND RELEASED per the 'Quantum' mind of humans.. AKA HUMAN DNA MORE FULLY EXPRESSED..:)

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

sophisticated
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Mar 2015, 9:32 pm

AspE wrote:
sophisticated wrote:

Some more atheist logic:

Designed:

Not designed:

In other words that which you call "nature" is a factory.

So basically a "lights out factory" popped into existence out of nothing and for no reason.

Fascinating.

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2015, 3:55 am

sophisticated wrote:
AspE wrote:
sophisticated wrote:

Some more atheist logic:

Designed:

Not designed:

So basically a "lights out factory" popped into existence out of nothing and for no reason.

Fascinating.

way to minimize billions of years of change.. woohoo!

Oldavid
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2015, 7:35 am

Narrator wrote:
sophisticated wrote:
AspE wrote:
sophisticated wrote:

Some more atheist logic:

Designed:

Not designed:

Fascinating.

I suppose that we should all be flattened by any gratuitous assertion uttered in the name of Materialism. It might very well work on your average socially/politically compliant wanna-seem-to-be smarter than the average bear, but I seem to have missed out on the "swallow bs" gene.

Anyhow, here's more mathematical evidence that water doesn't flow uphill however long you wait.

http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/cienc ... life13.htm

Oldavid
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2015, 8:50 am

AngelRho wrote:
Narrator wrote:
Some interesting music has been composed by computers in recent years.
Here's one piece:

Here's a whole article on some computers that compose:

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/2014080 ... ard-before

Oh yeah, old news. I'd PREFER to set up an interactive algorithm and just let the computer generate a MIDI data stream. It would save a lot of time. I just lack the knowledge and means to do that, but CSound, Supercollider, and Max/MSP all basically can accomplish what I have in mind. What I'd rather do is find a programmer to write something in, say, Java that would automate the process. What I'm looking to do is rather simple, no sound-mass generation or anything like that. In fact, the video you posted isn't far off the mark from what I'm interested in.

Some things I CAN do. Reason has a pattern sequencer and a customizable arpeggiator. My Korg X50 also has a user-programmable arpeggiator. It's possible in Logic to create sequences of controller messages that you could send to a midi synth and control filter cutoff frequencies, FM modulation indices, etc. Save project files with any number of these things set up as loops and, yeah, the computer can pretty much do the rest of the work for you in a quasi-intelligent sort of way.

I'm not ready for a "true" intelligent system, but the idea is fascinating. There's been people working on this since the 1960's.
Yes. I'm curious as to why you would be flogging this dead horse.

Any intelligent removal of useless or "problematic" frequencies or timing immediately precludes any randomness.

I am somewhat astonished that there is anyone other than the ideologically committed nut cases that can still entertain the notion that order is a random extension of chaos.

The likes of John Cage and a whole generation of ideologically committed "randomists" have demonstrated that the more random a set of sounds the less musical it is. Complete randomness creates "white noise". Why do you persist with this nonsense?

sophisticated
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Mar 2015, 9:08 am

Narrator wrote:
sophisticated wrote:
AspE wrote:
sophisticated wrote:

Some more atheist logic:

Designed:

Not designed:

Fascinating.

Just because you know how something evolves (e.g. muscles) doesn't mean you have an excuse to disbelieve in God.

You grow muscles by putting them under stress.

Stress is the cause and stronger/bigger muscles is the effect.

But ultimately all "effects" can be traced back to a sentient being that was not caused into existence by anything. He just existed since forever.

Evolution only strengthens my faith.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2015, 9:25 am

sophisticated wrote:
Narrator wrote:
sophisticated wrote:
AspE wrote:
sophisticated wrote:

Some more atheist logic:

Designed:

Not designed:

Fascinating.

Just because you know how something evolves (e.g. muscles) doesn't mean you have an excuse to disbelieve in God.

You grow muscles by putting them under stress.

Stress is the cause and stronger/bigger muscles is the effect.

But ultimately all "effects" can be traced back to a sentient being that was not caused into existence by anything. He just existed since forever.

Evolution only strengthens my faith.

Just a quick and serious question;

perhaps a rhetorical one, depending

on the audience at hand...

Do you think GOD has a Penis.

If not, what is the meaning of the

metaphor

HE for GOD..

And if yes,

does GOD have a HUGe

penIS or a smALL PENis..

And if GOD has a huge penis

OR a small penis

what does GOD use that

PENIS for..

And if GOD does not

have a penis

and you are literally

speaking here..

What is a being without a

Penis..

a HE or 'something' else...

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick