Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2015, 8:25 am

I find it fascinating, this idea of taking a hodgepodge of genetic material and creating someone who is healthy, has amazing abilities and passes for aesthetically pleasing.
I am not one of these folks who is terrified of it.

But I do think it will lead to an even more extreme concept of "race" and you will see people who have extreme characteristics, like extremely dark or light skin, dark or light eyes, dark or light hair, real thin for women, with voluptuous breasts and accentuated buttocks with the propensity to develop muscle mass for men, which isn't my favorite look but men and women, in general, go for it.

If we are allowed to explore this arena, what do you think we will see?

What I dislike is this idea we should just let nature take its course because that's just ignorant. If you are hurting you take medicine. If you have sickness you long for a cure. If you reproduce, you long for healthy offspring, so just letting an illness take its course comes from the mouths of people who must be incapable of feeling anything. I know it sounds harsh but I dislike human suffering.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2015, 8:44 am

If we do this then we also have to ban normal reproduction. Normal humans would be so inferior to the designer-humans they would be second class citizens.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2015, 8:47 am

trollcatman wrote:
If we do this then we also have to ban normal reproduction. Normal humans would be so inferior to the designer-humans they would be second class citizens.

One thing that's really interesting, let's say you have two designer babies, they grow up...they meet, reproduce. Will their offspring be genetically perfect?

What I mean by race isn't what we think of traditionally. I mean a group of people with exact characteristics, only more extreme than they are now, but not necessarily related people, just folks bred for certain traits.

There will, most likely, always be a group of people who think their traditional genetic material is best and will insist it never be tampered with and this will constitute its own race, too.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2015, 9:02 am

If you gave them the same type of genes they will probably get inbred pretty soon. But if you give the male genes for becoming a good-looking male, and the female genes for becoming a good-looking female, what would their children look like? We could get a super muscular girl and a super skinny guy with a big butt :D

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2015, 9:06 am

Your science fiction assignment, should you choose to accept it, is to watch the movie Gattaca and read the books Brave New World by Aldous Huxley and Beggars in Spain by Nancy Kress. This theme is irresistable to all creators of science fiction whether in book, movie or computer game form.

I personally think some sort of tweaking will happen but think it is unlikely to be the sort of tweaking that enhances secondary sexual characteristics. As a parent talking to and observing other parents, wanting your kids to be super sexy is just not something that comes up. What is most likely to come up is mental (wanting smart kids seems very common) and removal of whatever genetic baggage parents wish they didn't personally have. I can see parents attempting to pluck out genetic diseases they are carriers for such as Tay Sachs, cystic fibrosis etc.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2015, 9:10 am

Janissy wrote:
Your science fiction assignment, should you choose to accept it, is to watch the movie Gattaca and read the books Brave New World by Aldous Huxley and Beggars in Spain by Nancy Kress. This theme is irresistable to all creators of science fiction whether in book, movie or computer game form.

I personally think some sort of tweaking will happen but think it is unlikely to be the sort of tweaking that enhances secondary sexual characteristics. As a parent talking to and observing other parents, wanting your kids to be super sexy is just not something that comes up. What is most likely to come up is mental (wanting smart kids seems very common) and removal of whatever genetic baggage parents wish they didn't personally have. I can see parents attempting to pluck out genetic diseases they are carriers for such as Tay Sachs, cystic fibrosis etc.

I think it definitely will be a factor because look at what people do to make it as celebrities. The first thing they do is run to the plastic surgeon. Not even sure if a celebrity exists who has had nothing done. If they could eliminate the need for some of that, I think the parents would go for it, hoping their kids would be celebrities, especially Youtube and selfie driven Millenials who are very concerned with how they look on camera.

drh1138
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Feb 2015, 9:36 am

I believe that the genetic and sociological factors are too complex for humans to understand and adequately control. Eugenics will lead to an inflexible, unimaginative society filled to its eyeballs in unintended consequences, ripe for total societal collapse.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2015, 1:14 pm

Well, the first thing that folks who operate the tool of science will have to do is to even understand the way the human mind works now in ways of mind and body balance that includes the nuances of the emotional mind and body in balance that science still is light years behind in empirically measuring this in scientific method ways.

It's kind of a pipe dream right now.

And of course you are far from the first person that wants to see it.

That guy in Germany was certainly hoping to see it.

But what I think you fail to see here, is how the so-called adversities of life do create human genius.

If one developed a highly qualifying standard IQ race of human beings, one might eliminate all the potential Einsteins with genetic anomalies of the brain that CAN BE part of the recipe of genius.

In fact, one might eliminate the one or MORE OR million people that might eventually save the human race from innovative ways of anomalous structured brain associaTED genius thinking.

Science still has no real idea how Einstein's mind is beautiful, other than the anomalies on a dissection table.

If one looks toward all the so-called highest office holders who are Presidents as the leaders of the most powerful free country of the world, the personal histories are TAINTED WITH PSYCHOLOGICAL AND PHYSICAL DISORDERS THAT CREATE THE PIE OF HUMAN GREATNESS IN THE END WHEN ALL IS ADAPTED AS CHALLENGED, PER HUMAN real life SUCCESS.

SCIENCE CANNOT even tap Human potential as it currently exists.

That's what science should focus on NOW; not the pipe dreams of a past leader in Germany, last century, per Human Gentetically modified Eugenics, like this.

It's kind of like the suggestion of an Autistic State in another forum; might look good to some folks on paper but they are obviously not considering all of what human nature in emotion, politics, and tribalism even is.

And scientists even now, are still not CAPABLE OF EMPIRICALLY MEASURING THE HUMAN HEART THAT IS EMOTION, INSPIRING ALMOST ALL OF RATIONAL THOUGHT.

The mechanisms of new Anti-Depressants actually helping to remediate depression cannot even be explained by science in about as many cases, as placebo helps, per significant numbers great enough over that relatively low percentage of substantial positive human emotional change, associated with Anti-Depressants, to meet FDA approval.

And then there are SIDE EFFECTS.

MEDICAL SCIENCE IS AN EXPERT AT SIDE EFFECTS.

Nah, I'll stay with REALLY SMART NATURE ON THIS ONE, AND LET TRULY IGNORANT SCIENCE STAY WHERE IT IS ON THIS ONE..;)

Science is not very good at human being. Simply again, there are no effective empirical scientific measures that repeat the experiment of the human heart that is HUMAN EMOTION.

IT'S NEVER BEEN A REAL SCIENCE, AND NEVER WILL BE, BY THE VERY DEFINITION OF IT, AS IS, PER THE MODERN SCIENTIFIC METHOD VS. THE ART OF HUMAN EMOTION.

Science has already created what you are talking about, without emotion, and that is computers and robots, including human beings who have lost their social cognition ways of empathy and emotions by way of becoming metaphorical robots themselves through mechanical leaning cognition activities, moreover than social cognition activities.

Science needs to work on a cure of making human beings human beings again, before looking ahead to anything else of any real significance, in human mind and body balance.

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2015, 2:56 pm

drh1138 wrote:
I believe that the genetic and sociological factors are too complex for humans to understand and adequately control. Eugenics will lead to an inflexible, unimaginative society filled to its eyeballs in unintended consequences, ripe for total societal collapse.

Hahaha, in many ways, it's like that already...

Orangez
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Feb 2015, 6:19 pm

I see that AI will be the next "human evolution" . Designer babies is just going in the wrong direction as an AI network would be a more suitable existence for space travel.