Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2015, 1:39 am

auntblabby wrote:
sophisticated wrote:
The world is the harsh environment that our father (Adam) was condemned to after being expelled from the garden of eden.

that gives me an idea, why doesn't some enterprising clever techie come up with a garden of eden video game app? it would be where depending on which options were chosen at proper times, the events of the bible in genesis could be altered. just a thought. :idea:

On top of it being totally blasphemous it wouldnt be much of game. Either the two eat the fruit, or they dont eat the fruit. If the latter -they live in paradise forever. If the former -then you have the story as it was. Not much room for strategy, nor tactics.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2015, 1:42 am

Narrator wrote:
Sorry for slurring my words... I'm a little pixellated.

Speaking of being a 'little' pixellated; True, IT MIGHT be like 'MidNight'.

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2015, 1:51 am

naturalplastic wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
sophisticated wrote:
The world is the harsh environment that our father (Adam) was condemned to after being expelled from the garden of eden.

that gives me an idea, why doesn't some enterprising clever techie come up with a garden of eden video game app? it would be where depending on which options were chosen at proper times, the events of the bible in genesis could be altered. just a thought. :idea:

On top of it being totally blasphemous it wouldnt be much of game. Either the two eat the fruit, or they dont eat the fruit. If the latter -they live in paradise forever. If the former -then you have the story as it was. Not much room for strategy, nor tactics.

I was thinking of it being speculative history, a novelization of genesis, if you will, with several possible story threads contingent on decisions made at key points.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2015, 2:53 am

auntblabby wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
sophisticated wrote:

I was thinking of it being speculative history, a novelization of genesis, if you will, with several possible story threads contingent on decisions made at key points.

WTF did you think I was talking about? Thats what I meant. It wouldnt work to do that.

Or maybe it would, but you have to elaborate.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2015, 2:59 am

aghogday wrote:
Narrator wrote:

Don't forget to post the courtroom scene (with the two little old ladies on the witness stand) from the movie "Mr Deeds Goes to Town" starring Gary Cooper that originated the term "pixellated".

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2015, 3:00 am

naturalplastic wrote:
WTF did you think I was talking about?

:shameonyou: I am no biblical scholar, I am coming from a very casual entertainment perspective.
naturalplastic wrote:
Thats what I meant. It wouldnt work to do that. Or maybe it would, but you have to elaborate.

for example, if cain did not slay abel, what might have happened? that would have changed a bunch of biblical history. any good writer could come up with manifold novel story lines.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2015, 8:36 am

The world is a giant computer, period.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2015, 12:49 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
aghogday wrote:
Narrator wrote:

Don't forget to post the courtroom scene (with the two little old ladies on the witness stand) from the movie "Mr Deeds Goes to Town" starring Gary Cooper that originated the term "pixellated".

Thanks, I'll Google that as I haven't seen that particular movie. :)

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2015, 10:35 pm

auntblabby wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
WTF did you think I was talking about?

:shameonyou: I am no biblical scholar, I am coming from a very casual entertainment perspective.
naturalplastic wrote:
Thats what I meant. It wouldnt work to do that. Or maybe it would, but you have to elaborate.

for example, if cain did not slay abel, what might have happened? that would have changed a bunch of biblical history. any good writer could come up with manifold novel story lines.

Cain not slaying Abel would not effect subsequent books in the Bible (or not in the way you mean). The Bible doesnt "work" that way.The narrative doesnt build that way.

On top of that-the Bible is not an Agatha Christie story in which human motivation drives everything- one of the main characters is God. God is God. He can do anything. So human decisions can be just get overridden by the supernatural omnipotent will of God anyway.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2015, 10:41 pm

^^^
if abel had survived to do more things and to have more offspring, how would that not "change things"?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2015, 11:12 pm

auntblabby wrote:
^^^
if abel had survived to do more things and to have more offspring, how would that not "change things"?

How WOULD it change things?

It wouldve changed that particular chapter. It would not have effected subsequent books (which were set centuries later). The later events dont build upon the Cain and Abel story in that way. How could it change anything? The Bible is not that tautly written.

Genisis doesnt even explain why he did it.

The Cain and Abel story is like Pandora's Box-a myth created to explain something (with Pandora its all evil in the world, with Cain and Abel its the invention of murder). Its a myth. Not a story with internal logic that can be "gamed" like a chess game.

Except in a roundabout external way- you could claim that Cain not killing Abel would change things. By killing Abel Cain invented murder. So if he hadnt invented murder then none of the other murders in the Bible could have happened. Including the Crucifiction.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2015, 11:16 pm

^^^
no murder, that is certainly a start!