Patterns in Crochet - do they mimic basic fractals?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2015, 7:33 pm

I used to hate doing crochet because it put me in a terrible mood and gave me a bad headache but now I absolutely love it. I have done a complete 180 and gone from one extreme to the other. I experience the opposite inner reaction when I crochet now - from that horrible feeling of tension to ultimate feelings of peace and understanding. While there, I can't help wondering, in the patterns one makes with hooks and yarns - do they mimic the basic structures of fractals? Is there some fundamental, basic architecture in it that you can see throughout nature if you look hard enough?

sonicallysensitive
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Feb 2015, 11:05 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
While there, I can't help wondering, in the patterns one makes with hooks and yarns - do they mimic the basic structures of fractals?
Depends on what you mean by 'fractals'. The mathematics behind fractals is relatively complex (i.e. Julia Sets, Quadratic Dynamics, Apollonian nets, Minkowski measure etc) - do you mean 'fractal' in the commonplace use of the word?

It's possibly worth looking at the concept of Iteration.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Is there some fundamental, basic architecture in it that you can see throughout nature if you look hard enough?
Maybe 'looking' and 'seeing' are the wrong terms? (i.e. Neptune was mathematically predicted before it was observed).

Also depends on who the 'you' is: observing something and giving a proof of something are very different.

And what you mean by 'nature'.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2015, 11:16 pm

One can certainly see the design of PHI, also known as the Golden Mean Spiral of 1.1618, throughout Nature from the Golden Spiral of Galaxies, Hurricanes, Tornadoes, Sunflowers, Nautilus Shells, Curled Cats and Fetuses, and even the smallest measurable units of Quantum Physics.

And if you are crocheting and spiraling in this way, with yarn, it is no surprise that it too is following the patterns of the Universe, as you are a part of that whole, aka as fractal, too, generally speaking, as the rivers of your veins of blood and that of Rivers to the Oceans, and so many other patterns seen in human beings can be seen in Terrestrial earth and in the Extra Terrestrial Universe as well..:)

As above so below..;)

Even down to the human abstract mathematical construct of number 9 or 6 as a rough drawing of the Golden Spiral..:)

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick