Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

TearsOf_AClown
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 May 2015, 8:07 am

I am not an actively religious man, recently however, I have been contemplating wether or not Hell is real. Then I start to think that life is hell. Do we have to all go through this s**t, struggle to reach better or do all we have to look forward to is a life of misinterpretations and mistakes and eventual death because of our 'glitch' that makes us aspies?

anthropic_principle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 May 2015, 9:15 am

Exactly.
I've been comparing life on earth to hell more and more every day.
We've been forcibly thrown in here to suffer tremendously, with no means of escape. (well some agonizing, or risky methods if you can get hold on a firearm but you know what I mean)
This is what evolution has led to here I guess, high intelligence and awareness therefore high potential to suffer.
I didn't ask for this.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2015, 11:31 am

I guess semantically that would depend on if you believe in Hell, and what your perceptions of it are - colloquial term? Realm of eternal punishment after death? Divine retribution in mortal life for committing sins? A psychological state self-created by individual negativity?
Autism does make many things unpleasant for us. But I believe it also affords us the ability to take great pleasure in things NT people may overlook.

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2015, 11:44 am

Religion is a "belief-system" ... whether you "believe" something to be reality or not does not change reality from being the reality. Now feel free to watch some "woo-woo" on the "phenomenon" of "reincarnation" and how "karmic-effects" seem to "carry-over" from one life into the next...

Supposèdly, all of us experience everything that we or our servants have caused others to experience, and if not during the current life "incarnation" time, then it will be experienced in the next or a future one.

Actually, nevermind the above video on reincarnation, let us go instead to a Quantum-Physicist's perspective on the reality of our existence, and how the ability to "reincarnate" and do things right based on accumulated learning experiences allows us to to kind of "level up" into a better game than this material-life which we experience in on this game-server of a material-universe...

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2015, 4:53 am

Life is just life, it has no direction or purpose. Some animals have what could be subjectively called a wonderful life, for others it is nothing but an existence filled with terror. For us on this damn awful spectrum, life is challenging at best, some have mental capacities which make them very valuable, others can barely survive. There is no rhyme nor reason, life just is. Therefore any form of afterlife is nothing more than a human construct.This will be my understanding unless someone can show the merest piece of objective evidence that I am wrong.

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2015, 5:44 am

I'm not religious in any way, and I don't believe in the traditional concepts of a Hell or Heaven we go to after death. But if there were to be anything like that, I've always suspected that THIS is probably actually Hell, yes.

And that -- again, if any of these "states of being" were to be true, and that's only a big "if" to muse upon -- that whatever we pass onto after life alive here on earth can only get better or indeed just be nothing, the end, because lets face it, there is a SH!T ton of suffering to be had in this world. If there are any places to punish or trial us, it's this life, I think.

I also related strongly to Sartre's "Hell is other people" the first time I ran across that one!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2015, 3:35 am

some eastern religions refer to earth as a "hellworld." even the wealthy/high and mighty are subject to "the thousand natural shocks flesh is heir to."

guzzle
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2015, 9:11 am

auntblabby wrote:
some eastern religions refer to earth as a "hellworld." even the wealthy/high and mighty are subject to "the thousand natural shocks flesh is heir to."

This is the age of Kali Yuga
Quote:
Prophesied events during a Kali Yuga

A discourse by Markandeya in the Mahabharata identifies some of the attributes of Kali Yuga. In relation to rulers, it lists:

Rulers will become unreasonable: they will levy taxes unfairly.
Rulers will no longer see it as their duty to promote spirituality, or to protect their subjects: they will become a danger to the world.
People will start migrating, seeking countries where wheat and barley form the staple food source.
"At the end of Kali-yuga, when there exist no topics on the subject of God, even at the residences of so-called saints and respectable gentlemen of the three higher varnas [guna or temperament] and when nothing is known of the techniques of sacrifice, even by word, at that time the Lord will appear as the supreme chastiser." (Srimad-Bhagavatam (2.7)

With regard to human relationships, Markandeya's discourse says:

Avarice and wrath will be common. Humans will openly display animosity towards each other. Ignorance of dharma will occur.
People will have thoughts of murder with no justification and will see nothing wrong in that.
Lust will be viewed as socially acceptable and sexual intercourse will be seen as the central requirement of life.
Sin will increase exponentially, whilst virtue will fade and cease to flourish.
People will take vows and break them soon after.
People will become addicted to intoxicating drinks and drugs.
Gurus will no longer be respected and their students will attempt to injure them. Their teachings will be insulted, and followers of Kama will wrest control of the mind from all human beings.
Brahmans will not be learned or honored, Kshatriyas will not be brave, Vaishyas will not be just in their dealings.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kali_Yuga# ... ahabharata

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2015, 8:43 pm

^ designed just like a horoscope

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2015, 12:26 am

guzzle wrote:
"At the end of Kali-yuga, when there exist no topics on the subject of God, even at the residences of so-called saints and respectable gentlemen of the three higher varnas [guna or temperament] and when nothing is known of the techniques of sacrifice, even by word, at that time the Lord will appear as the supreme chastiser." (Srimad-Bhagavatam (2.7)

so the curve of misbehavior in this "age of vice," inexorably and repeatedly bends towards the intolerable point where the existential corrective from humanity's parent must occur. a macrocosmic version of what happens in many family homes, it seems to me. "spare the rod [of justice], spoil the child" or in the case of hellworld earth, that of humanity.

luan78zao
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 May 2015, 1:29 am

I'm going to presume that nobody could be happy in Hell. Otherwise it wouldn't be much of a Hell, would it? So it takes the existence of just one happy person to disprove the proposition that life is Hell.

Guess I'll just have to be the spoiler then. 8)

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission – which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." – Ayn Rand

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2015, 1:32 am

luan78zao wrote:
I'm going to presume that nobody could be happy in Hell. Otherwise it wouldn't be much of a Hell, would it? So it takes the existence of just one happy person to disprove the proposition that life is Hell. Guess I'll just have to be the spoiler then. 8)

what's happiness got to do with anything? it is that most ephemeral thing that humans keep chasing after and it is always akin to catching a greased pig, never sticks around, always need to chase after it. humans remain in this hellworld and marinate in their various conceits and illusions.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2015, 7:38 am

TearsOf_AClown wrote:
I am not an actively religious man, recently however, I have been contemplating wether or not Hell is real. Then I start to think that life is hell. Do we have to all go through this s**t, struggle to reach better or do all we have to look forward to is a life of misinterpretations and mistakes and eventual death because of our 'glitch' that makes us aspies?

It can be argued from a Gnostic point of view, yes, energy being encased in matter is a form of hell. Look around. It's painful. It's difficult. It's a struggle. Yet so many are completely attached to it, including myself. It's not just difficult for humans. Seems difficult for all energy in matter, including plants and animals. Energy and matter are a strange combination but without it, you cannot have this unique experience of being alive. It is an opportunity to learn as much as possible., to experience what you can, and, perhaps most importantly of all, become aware of other people's experiences and what those mean to them.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2015, 8:13 am

Quote:
It is our attitude toward events, not events themselves, which we can control. Nothing is by its own nature calamitous -- even death is terrible only if we fear it. ~Epictetus

Suffering is a choice. Be merciful to yourself and CHOOSE not to suffer.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2015, 5:17 pm

I hear you man. While I had a lot of significantly good times in my 20's I had some incredibly significant bad times, enough that I wouldn't even think about going back to relive them if offered. Better than my teen years of course but still by only a matter of small degrees.

Do understand this - if you have a fight within it won't matter if it's 80 with a slight breeze and sunny or if it's 10 degrees and laying down three feet of snow-drifts. Regardless of your ontology you'll want to do everything you can to stay out of the nihilist ditch, it leads from an unexplainable urge to cry to creating real causes to.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

anthropic_principle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 May 2015, 11:06 pm

GoonSquad wrote:
Quote:
It is our attitude toward events, not events themselves, which we can control. Nothing is by its own nature calamitous -- even death is terrible only if we fear it. ~Epictetus

Suffering is a choice. Be merciful to yourself and CHOOSE not to suffer.

Thats absurd..
I didnt choose to contract this debilitating and chronic pain inducing disease.
I didnt choose to live for that matter, yet living with this condition is suffering for me.