Page 43 of 108 [ 1723 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46 ... 108  Next

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2016, 2:02 pm

adifferentname wrote:
Human rights are granted conditionally depending on the society you're born into, or the one you happen to find yourself subject to if you travel.

Rights are not granted. They exist independent of human laws. They are neither powerful nor weak, they just are.
adifferentname wrote:
We do this thing called "progress" that you might be interested in...

Why would you suspect I'm interested in progress? I am, but how is this relevant?

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2016, 2:19 pm

androbot01 wrote:
adifferentname wrote:
Human rights are granted conditionally depending on the society you're born into, or the one you happen to find yourself subject to if you travel.

Rights are not granted. They exist independent of human laws. They are neither powerful nor weak, they just are.

They're literally laws. They can't exist independently of the law. Without the power of law to back-up your rights, you have nothing but a philosophical ideal, or desired ideological principle. Desiring something does not make it a right.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2016, 2:29 pm

adifferentname wrote:
androbot01 wrote:
adifferentname wrote:

They're literally laws. They can't exist independently of the law. Without the power of law to back-up your rights, you have nothing but a philosophical ideal, or desired ideological principle. Desiring something does not make it a right.

But if you follow the logic that laws represent right and wrong than you will have conflicts that are not reconcilable. For example, one country's law may say euthanasia is acceptable, while another county's will say the opposite. How can both be true?

Neither desire nor power come into it. Rights are intrinsic and have to be discovered by people through discussion and thought. What the law does is a separate issue.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2016, 3:13 pm

androbot01 wrote:
adifferentname wrote:
androbot01 wrote:
adifferentname wrote:

But if you follow the logic that laws represent right and wrong than you will have conflicts that are not reconcilable.

Laws are representative of the values of the society which they belong to. Right and wrong are morally subjective terms. Laws don't inform us what right and wrong are, they inform us what our societal ethics are.

Quote:
For example, one country's law may say euthanasia is acceptable, while another county's will say the opposite. How can both be true?

For exactly the same reason that you have people in a single country who disagree over abortion. Ethics and morality are not objective.

Quote:
Neither desire nor power come into it. Rights are intrinsic and have to be discovered by people through discussion and thought. What the law does is a separate issue.

All you have is a tautology. "Rights exist because they exist". Those aren't rights, they're ideas. Ideas become rights when you become entitled to them according to the rules of your society. Without societal approval, you have nothing. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, that's the reason for the existence of the 14th amendment, despite the ideological leanings of the Founding Fathers.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2016, 3:54 pm

adifferentname wrote:
Without societal approval, you have nothing.

What about your conscience? Mine is not governed by societal laws.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2016, 3:57 pm

androbot01 wrote:
adifferentname wrote:
Without societal approval, you have nothing.

What about your conscience? Mine is not governed by societal laws.

Your conscience doesn't grant you any rights.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2016, 4:00 pm

I mean your conscience tells you what is right and what is wrong.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2016, 6:00 pm

androbot01 wrote:
I mean your conscience tells you what is right and what is wrong.

And your conscience is informed by social influences.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2016, 9:57 pm

So does this mean the indoctrination didn't work, or does it mean that it did work? Or maybe all that attempted murder was just for some extra class credit.

Ohio State Knife Attacker Abdul Artan Was Taking a Class About Microaggressions
His group project was due later this week.

Before he was shot dead while attempting to murder a bunch of people with a car and a butcher's knife, Ohio State University student Abdul Artan—a Pakistani immigrant who reportedly became radicalized after learning about injustices committed against fellow Muslims—was enrolled in a class called "Crossing Identity Boundaries."

In fact, he had a group project on "microaggressions" due later this week. The assignment, worth 15 percent of his grade, required students to find a dozen examples of microaggressions on social media and explain which identity groups were the victims, according to the syllabus.

http://reason.com/blog/2016/12/01/ohio- ... l-artan-wa

There Are Four Lights!

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2016, 1:32 am

James Hetfield moved to 'quiet' Colorado to enjoy outdoors, escape 'elitist' Bay Area attitudes

Quote:
They talk about how diverse they are, and things like that, and it's fine if you're diverse like them. But showing up with a deer on the bumper doesn't fly in Marin County.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2016, 1:44 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
James Hetfield moved to 'quiet' Colorado to enjoy outdoors, escape 'elitist' Bay Area attitudes

Quote:
They talk about how diverse they are, and things like that, and it's fine if you're diverse like them. But showing up with a deer on the bumper doesn't fly in Marin County.

I should feel so bad about a nearly 200 millionaire commercial artist having to settle with living in a different millionaire neighborhood because his feelings got hurt. This is just like that other thread with the other celebrities whining about how king celebrity/reality TV star became president.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2016, 12:32 pm

Feyokien wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

Quote:

I should feel so bad about a nearly 200 millionaire commercial artist having to settle with living in a different millionaire neighborhood because his feelings got hurt. This is just like that other thread with the other celebrities whining about how king celebrity/reality TV star became president.

He is whining about the subject of this thread.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2016, 12:41 pm

Feyokien wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

Quote:

It is not a matter of feeling bad for him but that he is whining about the subject of this thread. And it shows SJW mentality is not just a college campus thing anymore.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2016, 4:34 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Feyokien wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

Quote:

It is not a matter of feeling bad for him but that he is whining about the subject of this thread. And it shows SJW mentality is not just a college campus thing anymore.

Bad things happen when celebrities move to quite towns in Colorado. They made an episode of South Park about this.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2016, 10:44 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Feyokien wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

Quote:

It never was. The currency of outrage and victimhood is probably as old as human societies.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2016, 11:20 pm