Page 48 of 108 [ 1723 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51 ... 108  Next

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

09 Mar 2017, 8:53 am

Gender studies or any other type of '-studies' shouldn't even exist, subsidized Marxism and our government should not be providing loans which trap these people in debt for the rest of their lives for a useless degree. The problem is that there are simply too many people in college, more than half probably shouldn't be there and would be better off learning a trade of some sort.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2017, 8:56 am

Jacoby wrote:
The problem is that there are simply too many people in college, more than half probably shouldn't be there and would be better off learning a trade of some sort.
That almost makes me not regret not going to college.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

09 Mar 2017, 9:08 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Jacoby wrote:
The problem is that there are simply too many people in college, more than half probably shouldn't be there and would be better off learning a trade of some sort.

If you have a decent enough job already and aren't some social butterfly then there is zero reason to regret it, it's all a huge money making scheme. Think about the tuition charged and the graduation rates, then think about the fact that a lot of these degrees don't lead to any job in particular, don't even get started on the books. As a kid when they asked me what I wanted to do I would answer a paleontologist, archaeologist, or herpetologist but it turns out those aren't real jobs and probably even less realistic than when I wanted to be a pro-wrestler. I never lived in the world of you can do anything tho, that's not how I was raised or is reflective of the reality of the environment I grew up in.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2017, 3:16 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
There has been a surge in anti-Semitic incidents since the election of Trump.

I can't say for sure that the election of Trump caused this----but this is occurring.

Here's a good review from Jewish law professor David Bernstein in the Washington Post:

The great anti-Semitism panic of 2017

... There is also a general sense among Jews, at least liberal Jews, that Trump’s supporters are significantly more anti-Semitic than the public at large. I have many times asked for empirical evidence that supports this proposition, and have so far come up empty. I don’t rule out the possibility that it’s true, but there doesn’t seem to be any survey or other evidence supporting it. Given that American subgroups with the highest proportions of anti-Semites — African Americans, first-generation Hispanic immigrants, Muslims and high school dropouts — are strong Democratic constituencies (though the latter group appears to have gone narrowly for Trump this time), one certainly can’t simply presume that Trump has a disproportionate number of anti-Semitic supporters.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/vol ... c-of-2017/

There Are Four Lights!

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2017, 11:09 pm

If you ever wondered where SJWs and related people learn their lingo, they learn it in college, with professors like the author of this brand new research paper:

Queer ecologies of home: heteronormativity, speciesism, and the strange intimacies of crazy cat ladies

This article ... examines the ‘crazy cat lady’ as a discourse that entangles heteronormative and speciesist rules for loving, living, and making ‘a home.’ In a post-industrial moment when pet love has become a centerpiece of ‘normal’ life, the crazy cat lady occupies a queer periphery. She not only loves cats too much, she loves them more than humans, instead of a husband, and literally in place of heteronormative domesticity. To understand these complicit logics, this article reconceptualizes home as a queer ecology in which the sociospatial politics of nature, gender, humanity, sexuality, animality, domesticity, and intimacy collide. Using this framework, this article examines how women-with-cats–the ‘real’ crazy cat ladies–(re)inhabit normative ideals in their everyday practices and how this multispecies homemaking unfolds through more-than-human agencies.

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1 ... ode=cgpc20

8O :D

There Are Four Lights!

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2017, 11:15 pm

Darmok wrote:
Here's a perfect example of SJWs-RUIN-EVERYTHING:

UC Berkeley, one of the world's top universities, had 20,000 hours of recorded lectures that it posted online, free to the public and anyone around the world. What a great thing! Even 20 years ago, no one could imagine that a person in India (say) would be able to listen to free lectures from famous scholars and scientists at a place like Berkeley.

Not so fast! Some SJW-minded people have sued Berkeley because the 20,000 hours of free educational resources are not all closed-captioned for deaf people.

Berkeley doesn't have the money to close-caption 20,000 hours of recordings, so to avoid the lawsuit ... they've had to take all the free educational material off line. No more free Berkeley lectures for you, poor student in South Africa, or India, or Mississippi.

http://www.gaypatriot.net/2017/03/08/th ... -things-2/

They did this at my university as well. But it wasn't because they had to. It was because they chose to, rather than fight the case in court. They might have had a chance at winning. There's a difference between failing to provide disability accommodations for students, and failing to provide accommodations to the general public. But from the standpoint of the university, it's easier to just not bother fighting the case when they don't have to provide the recordings to the public to begin with.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2017, 11:18 pm

Jacoby wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

If you have a decent enough job already and aren't some social butterfly then there is zero reason to regret it, it's all a huge money making scheme. Think about the tuition charged and the graduation rates, then think about the fact that a lot of these degrees don't lead to any job in particular, don't even get started on the books. As a kid when they asked me what I wanted to do I would answer a paleontologist, archaeologist, or herpetologist but it turns out those aren't real jobs and probably even less realistic than when I wanted to be a pro-wrestler. I never lived in the world of you can do anything tho, that's not how I was raised or is reflective of the reality of the environment I grew up in.

Those are real jobs, there just aren't many job opportunities in those fields. Most of the more steady jobs in such fields will be educational, for example, teaching at a university or curating at a museum, and they tend to fill research positions on the side. Remember, Indiana Jones was also a professor.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2017, 3:46 am

Darmok wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

I can't say for sure that the election of Trump caused this----but this is occurring.

Here's a good review from Jewish law professor David Bernstein in the Washington Post:

... There is also a general sense among Jews, at least liberal Jews, that Trump’s supporters are significantly more anti-Semitic than the public at large. I have many times asked for empirical evidence that supports this proposition, and have so far come up empty. I don’t rule out the possibility that it’s true, but there doesn’t seem to be any survey or other evidence supporting it. Given that American subgroups with the highest proportions of anti-Semites — African Americans, first-generation Hispanic immigrants, Muslims and high school dropouts — are strong Democratic constituencies (though the latter group appears to have gone narrowly for Trump this time), one certainly can’t simply presume that Trump has a disproportionate number of anti-Semitic supporters.

There's likely a few factors.

Trump has courted far-right, white supremacist/white nationalist groups more openly than any previous mainstream political candidate in recent memory. Outspoken white supremacists have gone out of their way to express their support for him. This of course doesn't mean that he agrees with those positions or that he sympathizes, but it certainly might.

Most people tend to assume that white racists must be white supremacists.
Most people tend to assume that right-leaning, white racists must be Nazis and therefore anti-Semitic.

This ignores that many right-leaning white racists strongly support Israel, many racists (white or otherwise) are bigoted towards certain groups but not all groups unlike themselves, that not all antisemitism comes from Nazis/white supremacists and that fascism isn't an inherently racism ideology, among things.

I'm very interested in seeing these incidents investigated.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2017, 6:57 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Darmok wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

There's likely a few factors.

Trump has courted far-right, white supremacist/white nationalist groups more openly than any previous mainstream political candidate in recent memory. Outspoken white supremacists have gone out of their way to express their support for him. This of course doesn't mean that he agrees with those positions or that he sympathizes, but it certainly might.

Most people tend to assume that white racists must be white supremacists.
Most people tend to assume that right-leaning, white racists must be Nazis and therefore anti-Semitic.

This ignores that many right-leaning white racists strongly support Israel, many racists (white or otherwise) are bigoted towards certain groups but not all groups unlike themselves, that not all antisemitism comes from Nazis/white supremacists and that fascism isn't an inherently racism ideology, among things.

I'm very interested in seeing these incidents investigated.
Those liberals love making assumptions. Just how if you voted for Trump they assume you're a deplorable racist sexist homophobic transphobic anti-abortion anti-contraception puppy murdering caricature.

Note that I'm not pro-trump or pro-repeublican or pro-democrat or pro-anyone.

Of course the bible thumping racist rednecks are pro-isreal because the isrealites are the good guys in the bible. The bible is full of casual racism towards other groups like the canaanites BTW.

My theory is that the SJWs are the real anti-semites because they support Muslim culture, which is anti-semitic.

The SJWs aren't smart enough to understand the paradox of tollerence, that is, should we tollerate the intollerant. The SJWs want to tollerate all culture, including Muslim culture. The Muslim culture is an intollerent anti-semitic culture. So they're advocating a culture of intollerence. If you don't belief me, try reading the first few pages of the Qoran. It's available for free, online in English. Even the first few pages are full of anti-semitism (particularly the second surah).

Now don't think that I'm pro-isreal and anti-muslim or vice versa. I'm not pro anything. I'm neutral like Switzerland.True that muslim anti-semitism is pretty repugnant but so is what the israelites have done in Palestine so I figure they're even. I'm not anti-muslim but I'm anti-nationalism.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2017, 11:06 am

Darmok wrote:
If you ever wondered where SJWs and related people learn their lingo, they learn it in college, with professors like the author of this brand new research paper:

Queer ecologies of home: heteronormativity, speciesism, and the strange intimacies of crazy cat ladies

This article ... examines the ‘crazy cat lady’ as a discourse that entangles heteronormative and speciesist rules for loving, living, and making ‘a home.’ In a post-industrial moment when pet love has become a centerpiece of ‘normal’ life, the crazy cat lady occupies a queer periphery. She not only loves cats too much, she loves them more than humans, instead of a husband, and literally in place of heteronormative domesticity. To understand these complicit logics, this article reconceptualizes home as a queer ecology in which the sociospatial politics of nature, gender, humanity, sexuality, animality, domesticity, and intimacy collide. Using this framework, this article examines how women-with-cats–the ‘real’ crazy cat ladies–(re)inhabit normative ideals in their everyday practices and how this multispecies homemaking unfolds through more-than-human agencies.

Uuuummmm...

So writing term papers is now "SJW?"

*sigh*

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2017, 11:28 am

Darmok wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

The author is right.

Despite growing up in the greater NYC area I grew up in a non Jewish area. 1500 or students in my high school 52 Jews. On most Jewish holidays our temple had swastika graffiti painted on it. If I got paid a dollar for every time I was called a k*e I would be a stereotypical Jewish American Prince. None of these incidents made the media. Some of it was real antisemitism a lot of it was bullies seeing a vulnerability and teen vandals.

The Trump phenomenon is an indirect factor. People making these bomb threats probably are the old fashioned version of trolls seeing a vulnerability. It is ego building for some to see people evacuating and panicking because of your actions. Now it is a negative loop type situation with copycats seeing this scares people causing more panic leading to more copycats. The fear I do have is not from what has actually happened but the publicity causing escalation.

As of now the worst of it has been cemetery vandalism (I find it hard to believe the police that the Brooklyn incident was mother nature). Unlike with Muslims, no Jewish houses of worship have been burned down and unlike me in the 60’s and 70’s and Muslims no jews have been physically attacked, at least by people identified doing it for “alt right” reasons. And unlike the early days of Nazi Germany, the victims of these incidents have had people rally to support them instead of the government being openly behind the incidents.

The author is correct about the selective outrage. If you are Jewish and especially if you are pro Israel on a number of college campuses you actually have legitimate reasons to be afraid because there have been verbal online and physical bullying and antisemitism often from both people who grew up in Muslim areas where Jew hate is encouraged and their SJW excusers. The Simon Wiesenthal Center screams about this but the Jewish community has been generally mute. My brother who is a liberal democrat was seriously thinking of voting Republican last year for the first time ever until Trump won the nomination because of his disgust at the tolerance of antisemitism, actual antisemitism, and excusing Islamic terrorism by large elements of the left. He is active in certain Jewish organizations and when he discusses what it was like growing up for us nobody can relate because of the bubble they grew up in. And even with what we grew up with, we grew up the most Jew-friendly place in history and it is much better now.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2017, 6:36 pm

Darmok wrote:

Did she just say the stigma against crazy cat ladies is a result of speciesism?

More importantly, why is she saying crazy cat ladies are "queer"?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2017, 7:26 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Darmok wrote:

Did she just say the stigma against crazy cat ladies is a result of speciesism?

More importantly, why is she saying crazy cat ladies are "queer"?

The stigmatization of the word is more important to the author than the actual mistreatment and horrific conditions cats go through if they have the misfortune to be under the "care" of a "cat lady". Everything that is wrong with SJW thinking demonstrated.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2017, 9:06 pm

The real problem is that people make it look like we have only two choices, either we go the way of the crazy left wing SJWs or we go the way of the crazy right wing fundementalist Christians.

I for one want a third choice.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2017, 9:28 pm

Most people choose the middle ground.

The Internet makes it seem like people are only in two "camps."

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2017, 10:11 pm

Well that's a relief.