Page 2 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2017, 10:26 pm

i can't trust that a party that has spent the last century fighting working-class health care tooth and nail, now has suddenly done a 180 and wants to extend heath care to the working class. I cannot believe them.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2017, 10:49 pm

Who have I seen benefit from the ACA??

My cousins, who frankly resemble nothing so much as a caricature of Rush Limbaugh's stereotype of a welfare queen. They're decent enough girls, and they will at least generally rise to the occasion when the family is in need, but they don't wanna work. They want to surf the Internet and smoke dope all day. Yes, the idea of the working public paying to support their choices disgusts me. f**k them. They chose the fun bits of ghetto life-- they can take the consequences too. I don't love cooking and cleaning and making 'parent' a verb every minute-- it's called adulting. Hubby doesn't love engineering 40, 50, 60 hours a week. He'd rather stay home and hang out on Kongregate all day-- it's called adulting.

My MIL, who might have created 80% of her own financial problems, but did little to nothing to bring her medical situation on herself. She worked hard all her life; it's not her fault that Florida is a right-to-work state and 62 is about the age at which your employer of 15 years finds an excuse to lay you off and nobody else will hire you. Without the exchange and the ban on denial of coverage for pre-existing conditions, she would have been up s**t creek.

Us. Our premiums went up about 60% and our coverage went down (and then we got a new high-deductible plan with an HSA and I'm frankly thrilled with it). But we still benefit, hugely, by not having to drain our resources to pay MIL's and cousins' medical bills or be the jerks who say, "Die faster, then, and reduce the surplus population."

Who have I seen harmed??

Several friends, who worked hard and made very little money and yet somehow always managed to barely get by and even scratch up a few thousand bucks to squirrel away for a rainy day. Before ACA, they would have been in debt for a lifetime if they had a serious medical problem. After ACA, they're bitter and hateful because being forced onto Medicaid destroyed their pride and self-respect and forced them to liquidate their savings, and now they can look forward to being screwed when the car breaks down instead.

There has to be a better way.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2017, 11:10 pm

auntblabby wrote:
i can't trust that a party that has spent the last century fighting working-class health care tooth and nail, now has suddenly done a 180 and wants to extend heath care to the working class. I cannot believe them.

The thing is though, Trump really isn't one of them. He has his own agenda. Based on listing to several interviews going back 30 years, I think he really wants to help America by providing better heath care and bring jobs back to America and all that. I think that massive ego of his demands that he does a better job of being president than anyone. Only time will tell how successful or unsuccessful he will be.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2017, 11:33 pm

EzraS wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

The thing is though, Trump really isn't one of them. He has his own agenda. Based on listing to several interviews going back 30 years, I think he really wants to help America by providing better heath care and bring jobs back to America and all that. I think that massive ego of his demands that he does a better job of being president than anyone. Only time will tell how successful or unsuccessful he will be.

(clicky)then why did he pick tom price, a man who has long been hostile to the idea of gov't assistance for the working class to have affordable health care, insurance reform, value-based health care, and even medicare itself?

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2017, 4:40 am

We will just have to wait and see what happens.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2017, 6:39 pm

If Obamacare gets scrapped, and there's nothing in its place, then those who become disenfranchised by the move will go on a crime spree. Why? Well, without medication to keep their volatile behaviours in check, who will be safe anywhere? Buildings will burn, monuments will fall.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2017, 7:59 pm

redrobin62 wrote:
If Obamacare gets scrapped, and there's nothing in its place, then those who become disenfranchised by the move will go on a crime spree. Why? Well, without medication to keep their volatile behaviours in check, who will be safe anywhere? Buildings will burn, monuments will fall.

or at the very least, the individual health insurance market will crater, along with at least one insurance company.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

15 Jan 2017, 9:01 pm

Most of the coverage from Obamacare is Medicaid which is not good healthcare and is ran by the states, repealing the law does not mean that Medicaid expansion in your state will automatically be rolled back. Nothing about Obamacare lowers prices, it does the opposite actually and there are some decent Republican proposals for lowering cost. Cost has always been more of the issue than access to insurance coverage.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2017, 9:06 pm

say "medicaid" is better than "no aid" to any medicaid recipient, and you will likely get a blank stare back. no GOP proposal actually will help working-class folk afford uniformly exorbitant premiums.