Robert Kennedy Jr. and vaccine safety review

Page 1 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2017, 8:36 am

Vaccination skeptic Robert F. Kennedy Jr. said he would chair a presidential panel to review vaccine safety and science at U.S. President-elect Donald Trump's request, drawing fierce criticism from vaccine experts who fear such a panel would give credence to debunked theories tying childhood immunizations to autism.

"President-elect Trump has some doubts about the current vaccine policy, and he has questions about it," Kennedy, who has raised questions about the safety of vaccines, told reporters after a meeting with Trump in New York on Tuesday.

"He asked me to chair a commission on vaccine safety and scientific integrity. I said I would," said Kennedy.

However, Trump spokeswoman Hope Hicks later told Reuters that, while the president-elect was exploring the possibility of forming a committee on autism, "no decisions have been made at this time."

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-t ... th+News%29

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2017, 8:47 am

As a nurse, I have an open mind and would welcome any new information on vaccine safety in general.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

11 Jan 2017, 9:04 am

I don't see why people are afraid of discussion if the science is so clear cut, things should be investigated. Interesting that Trump is considering forming a 'committee on autism'

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2017, 9:09 am

I hope no hasty decisions are made based upon partisan and ideological considerations.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

11 Jan 2017, 10:01 am

Jacoby wrote:
I don't see why people are afraid of discussion if the science is so clear cut, things should be investigated. Interesting that Trump is considering forming a 'committee on autism'

These things have been investigated and it's naturally worrying if a partisan panel is opened into something. Imagine the reaction if Clinton opened a panel into the safety of gun control.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2017, 10:14 am

The_Walrus wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

These things have been investigated and it's naturally worrying if a partisan panel is opened into something. Imagine the reaction if Clinton opened a panel into the safety of gun control.

I would of expected nothing different. RFK Jr is a very liberal Democrat so I don't think it's a partisan issue, if the previous investigations that show no connection are correct then another would show the same thing.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2017, 10:51 am

The partisanship in this issue is not left/right or Democratic/Republican but anti-vax/pro-vax.

I don't think there is any rational way to spin that into a left/right issue. It seems to me the pro-vax people have evidence, data, review panels and studies on their side while the anti-vax people have compelling anecdotes, strong personal feeling and a general distrust of evidence on their side.

This has already been hashed out for years and no amount of evidence will satisfy the anti-vaxers because that's not what they base their argument in. Giving them another platform just seems like it's going to waste more time and money, but it will be interesting to see what happens. Belief systems die hard.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2017, 10:56 am

People might want an investigation under an administration they trust, I don't think discussion hurts things but I do think trying to censor and 'correct' people's points of view autocratically does. FWIW I would support a new investigation into the 9/11 attacks as well. I don't see the damage in investigating and if nothing comes of it then at least we know, the alternative is that we've been had.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2017, 11:02 am

The vax thing as been investigated under republican and democratic administrations. The likelihood that all the anti-vaxers, given their great diversity in other views, would find a Trump regime more trustworthy seems very low.

I don't have a lot of time for 9/11 conspiracy theorists. Or chemtrails, area 51 seekers, and Sandy Hook deniers.

There is an almost unlimited amount of crap people theorize about. The US government should not be supporting that activity. I certainly don't want a penny of my tax money going there!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2017, 11:10 am

It's almost like these anti-vaxxers were quite afraid of getting "shots" as children.

What would happen if we did not vaccinate our children? A public health disaster--that's what!

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2017, 11:23 am

Adamantium wrote:
The vax thing as been investigated under republican and democratic administrations. The likelihood that all the anti-vaxers, given their great diversity in other views, would find a Trump regime more trustworthy seems very low.

I don't have a lot of time for 9/11 conspiracy theorists. Or chemtrails, area 51 seekers, and Sandy Hook deniers.

There is an almost unlimited amount of crap people theorize about. The US government should not be supporting that activity. I certainly don't want a penny of my tax money going there!

Some people think it's a pressing question, I am not afraid of hearing people out.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2017, 11:39 am

Jacoby wrote:
Some people think it's a pressing question, I am not afraid of hearing people out.

I am not afraid of them, but annoyed if the result is that they damage more people's health. They have been heard already, over and over again. They have a ton of places where they can promote their beliefs already.

This is a bit like the intelligent design debate.
I think it's fine if people want to believe it, but a problem if they want it taught as science.

But I don't think there is much we can do about it. We'll see how these appointments do over the next four years.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2017, 11:42 am

I take each "conspiracy theory" as they come. I do think a "let it happen" conspiracy happened with 9/11. With this "conspiracy theory" I have seen no conclusive evidence that big pharma and big government colluded to rig the testing regime. There is conclusive evidence of vaccine damage but the mainstream consensus has been the costs of vaccine damage are less than curtailing or ending vaccinations.

In another thread I discussed the what I believe to be the catastrophic ramifications for autistics if proof of vaccines are found to cause autism, and proof of big pharma government collusion are found. In summary, Autistics would be mutants. No credibility for the nuerodiversity movement, no reason not to do everything to cure it and force people to take the cure. Claims that older autistics like myself have always been around but not seen would be widely perceived to be discredited. A Trump administration “rigging” the system to find an autism-vaccine link and issuing executive orders based on this idea would have a similar effect.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2017, 12:05 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
In another thread I discussed the what I believe to be the catastrophic ramifications for autistics if proof of vaccines are found to cause autism, and proof of big pharma government collusion are found. In summary, Autistics would be mutants. No credibility for the nuerodiversity movement, no reason not to do everything to cure it and force people to take the cure. Claims that older autistics like myself have always been around but not seen would be widely perceived to be discredited. A Trump administration “rigging” the system to find an autism-vaccine link would have similar effects.

But the proof that much autism isn't caused by any kind of childhood environmental insult is already there in good studies. You can't have differences in fetal development of synapses in kids with autism and then suddenly say "the vaccine did it." It's BS (bad science.)

Everyone is a mutant including neurotypicals. Only people who don't understand genetics or evolution thinks mutation isn't a constant process.

To get the result you are outlining, they would have to lie about so much, I don't think it would work.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2017, 12:06 pm

When you go excavating into areas that are taboo you can be surprised by what you might find, it might not be what you expect. I don't believe autism is caused by vaccines but I do think vaccines need more scrutiny and we need an admittance of the true risks and I think a lot of people are afraid of exposing that because they think hurts the 'greater good.' In the end the truth is the most important thing and if we have confidence in our institutions that is the conclusion that will be reached.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2017, 12:23 pm

Adamantium wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
In another thread I discussed the what I believe to be the catastrophic ramifications for autistics if proof of vaccines are found to cause autism, and proof of big pharma government collusion are found. In summary, Autistics would be mutants. No credibility for the nuerodiversity movement, no reason not to do everything to cure it and force people to take the cure. Claims that older autistics like myself have always been around but not seen would be widely perceived to be discredited. A Trump administration “rigging” the system to find an autism-vaccine link would have similar effects.

But the proof that much autism isn't caused by any kind of childhood environmental insult is already there in good studies. You can't have differences in fetal development of synapses in kids with autism and then suddenly say "the vaccine did it." It's BS (bad science.)

Everyone is a mutant including neurotypicals. Only people who don't understand genetics or evolution thinks mutation isn't a constant process.

To get the result you are outlining, they would have to lie about so much, I don't think it would work.

So many things that were once considered undeniable fact are considered ridiculous today. Never say Never. Trump becoming president later this month is proof of that. True or not if the Trump administration autism policy is based on suspicion or beliefs that vaccines cause autism and they can carry out that policy it will have an effect on many autistics. Do I think we are hopelessly doomed, no. Expressing a belief and turning it into enforced policy are two very different things. I do think I have legitimate reasons for worry.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman