Page 163 of 214 [ 3415 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166 ... 214  Next

SZWell
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Oct 2017, 6:10 pm

Biscuitman wrote:

has a tweet for everything

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

03 Oct 2017, 12:53 pm

Rand Paul has come out against the tax plan, on the grounds that it amounts to an effective tax rise for about 30% of the middle class.

This says more about Paul's weird ideological purity than anything else, but presents a serious obstacle to Trump. Unlike President Macron in France, he cannot rely on the support of his own party, he lacks allies in other parties, and his notional majority is razor thin.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2017, 2:09 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
Rand Paul has come out against the tax plan, on the grounds that it amounts to an effective tax rise for about 30% of the middle class.

This says more about Paul's weird ideological purity than anything else, but presents a serious obstacle to Trump. Unlike President Macron in France, he cannot rely on the support of his own party, he lacks allies in other parties, and his notional majority is razor thin.

Paul is guessing. We don't know the income ranges of the three brackets.

Here are estimates from Trump's earlier proposed tax bracket incomes ...
http://www.businessinsider.com/trump-ta ... pay-2017-9

His earlier proposal of the range of the brackets:
$25,001 to $50,000
$50,001 to $150,000
$150,001 or more

So, as shown in the link (chart), applying Trump's latest tax bracket proposal ...
12% $25,001 to $50,000
25% $50,001 to $150,000
28% $150,001 or more

Note: These are substantially lower rates than the present tax brackets. Presently, income at 91,000 is taxed at 28%, so right there that is roughly $60,000 taxed at 3% lower , so that is 1,800 is savings.

Results as shown in chart: (assuming you normally use the standard deduction):
Single, childless taxpayer, $25,000 salary ---> Savings $178
Single, childless taxpayer, $75,000 salary ---> Savings $2,678
Single, childless taxpayer, $175,000 salary ---> Savings $3, 589

Now if you itemize, and your non-mortgage/non-charity itemized deductions are larger than benefit of the lowered rates, (UNLIKELY For 99% of the middle class -- my guess), then you will be worse off.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2017, 11:16 am

North Korea 'ready to test new high range missile capable of hitting US west coast'

A Russian lawmaker claims the mood in Pyongyang is "rather belligerent" and officials there showed him mathematical calculations of the planned missile test.

North Korea is set to test-fire a new "high range" missile capable of hitting the US mainland, a Russian lawmaker claims.

Anton Morozov revealed Pyongyang's plans as he returned from a five-day visit to the hermit state - where the mood is "rather belligerent" - with a Russian delegation.

He claims North Korean officials gave the Russians mathematical calculations showing that the intercontinental ballistic missile could reach targets on the US west coast.

It comes just days after a CIA official revealed that Kim Jong-un's regime could launch a new missile or carry out another nuclear test next week.

Morozov told the Russian state-run news agency RIA Novosti: "They are preparing for a new test of a longer-range missile.

"They even gave us mathematical calculations that they believe prove that their missile can hit the western coast of the United States."

He described the mood in Pyongyang as "rather belligerent", adding: "In the near future, they are going to carry out, as far as we understand, yet another launch of a missile, but this time with a longer range."

Morozov, a member of the Russian State Duma Committee on International Affairs, has called for a prompt intervention in the situation on the Korean peninsula to avoid a new war.

Earlier this week, Yong Suk Lee, the deputy assistant director of the CIA's Korea Mission Center, revealed that North Korea's latest provocation could come on Tuesday when it celebrates the founding of the Workers' Party of Korea.

Many past nuclear or missile tests have coincided with mass public celebrations.

A test would coincide with Japan's lower house election campaigns and the Columbus Day holiday in the US. Given the time difference, it would be Monday in the US if a missile or nuclear test occurs in Pyongyang on Tuesday morning.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2017, 2:14 pm

The tax plan is a lame joke. How long will conservatives pretend that setting up awful outcomes will result in cutting the federal budget? Has everyone forgotten the sequester already? It doesn't work. First, we saved the social programs, and then we restored the military budget.

If they want to pass a balanced budget with some degree of honesty, go for it. Show they have the resolve to do that. Cutting taxes will take us further into debt, and nothing will stop those bastards from spending money when Trump starts an idiotic war. Everyone knows that they mess with the numbers by putting some of this year's spending into last year, retroactively, right? Try to keep up, people. Nothing is too worthwhile or necessary for the Freedom Caucus to oppose. There are Dems who also want a balanced budget, but the loud minority of Rs would go down in flames if they spoke to one of them in friendly terms.

F**k everyone in the media who said that he looked presidential, shooting missiles at Syria. Wow! Train the psychopath up, why don't you?

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2017, 1:21 am

nurseangela wrote:
North Korea 'ready to test new high range missile capable of hitting US west coast'

A Russian lawmaker claims the mood in Pyongyang is "rather belligerent" and officials there showed him mathematical calculations of the planned missile test.

North Korea is set to test-fire a new "high range" missile capable of hitting the US mainland, a Russian lawmaker claims.

Anton Morozov revealed Pyongyang's plans as he returned from a five-day visit to the hermit state - where the mood is "rather belligerent" - with a Russian delegation.

He claims North Korean officials gave the Russians mathematical calculations showing that the intercontinental ballistic missile could reach targets on the US west coast.

It comes just days after a CIA official revealed that Kim Jong-un's regime could launch a new missile or carry out another nuclear test next week.

Morozov told the Russian state-run news agency RIA Novosti: "They are preparing for a new test of a longer-range missile.

"They even gave us mathematical calculations that they believe prove that their missile can hit the western coast of the United States."

He described the mood in Pyongyang as "rather belligerent", adding: "In the near future, they are going to carry out, as far as we understand, yet another launch of a missile, but this time with a longer range."

Morozov, a member of the Russian State Duma Committee on International Affairs, has called for a prompt intervention in the situation on the Korean peninsula to avoid a new war.

Earlier this week, Yong Suk Lee, the deputy assistant director of the CIA's Korea Mission Center, revealed that North Korea's latest provocation could come on Tuesday when it celebrates the founding of the Workers' Party of Korea.

Many past nuclear or missile tests have coincided with mass public celebrations.

A test would coincide with Japan's lower house election campaigns and the Columbus Day holiday in the US. Given the time difference, it would be Monday in the US if a missile or nuclear test occurs in Pyongyang on Tuesday morning.

I know it's wrong, but I half way hope they make a mistake and blow themselves up.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2017, 9:11 pm

I hope Kim Jong Un's people don't give Rex Tillerson too hard a time. In contrast to "f*****g moron," "dotard" seems pretty respectful. It's an insult, but a dotard has gone feeble-minded with age which they can't really help. A f*****g moron isn't even making an effort. Plus, respect for elders still has more power in Asia than in the West. As Colbert pointed out, Rex can honestly say to them, "you're better off dealing with me than with that f*****g moron."

I despise Stephanie Ruhle, but I warmed up to her a little for clarifying that Tillerson had not exactly called Trump "a moron." She promotes supply side economics, and should know better.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2017, 1:18 am

Like we don't have enough crap to worry about.
A- holes.

Antifa Group Plans Nationwide 'Deface Columbus Day' Actions for Monday

Violent left-wing anarchists have announced a nationwide campaign to deface Christopher Columbus statues this coming Monday.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2017, 1:21 am

THIS IS WHAT POLICE HAVE TO DO NOW?!

NYPD provides 24/7 protection for Columbus statue ahead of holiday

He’s Italian, very tall, a little stiff — and he’s getting round-the-clock police protection. No, it’s not Bill de Blasio.

In the city that’s the biggest terror target in the world, the NYPD is providing 24/7 body-guard services to the marble statue of Christopher Columbus in Columbus Circle.

Darn, I flunked.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2017, 8:48 am

On YT trending:

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2017, 10:50 am

Donald Trump 'to visit NORTH KOREA border next month'
DONALD Trump may visit the North Korean border next month when he visits the South, according to defence sources.

The US President will potentially travel to may travel to the Demilitarized Zone on the Korean border in early November when he visits South Korea, a defence source said.

The White House has reportedly sent a team of officials to the Peninsula to check potential sites for Trump's "special activity" when he is there.

"They looked around Panmunjom and Observation Post Ouellette," the source said while speaking on the condition of anonymity.

"Truce village" Panmunjom and the observation post are both within the heavily-fortified Demilitarized Zone (DMZ) and are literally a stone's throw away from the regime.

Trump is widely expected to send a message to North Korea – either verbally or "kinetically" – when he makes the foreign visit.

Trump will likely do something like that and his aides are making the relevant preparations," the source told Yonhap News.

He added: "He may instead visit frontline islands such as Yeonpyeong-do or Baengnyeong-do. I am not sure whether the advance team went there, too."

The commander-in-chief is set to visit Japan, South Korea, China, Vietnam and the Philippines starting on a tour that starts on November 2.

The visit would come as Trump stepped up his war of words with Kim Jong-un.

It has prompted numerous security experts to warn the world is literally on the brink of World War 3.

Trump has repeatedly threatened to go to war with the hermit state, most recently hinting there is “only one way” to deal with the crisis.

North Korea has also accused the US of “declaring war” on them while continuing to test nuclear-capable ICBMs.

It has launched more than a dozen missile tests this year and detonated their most powerful ever H-bomb.

Darn, I flunked.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2017, 12:13 pm

nurseangela wrote:
THIS IS WHAT POLICE HAVE TO DO NOW?!

NYPD provides 24/7 protection for Columbus statue ahead of holiday

He’s Italian, very tall, a little stiff — and he’s getting round-the-clock police protection. No, it’s not Bill de Blasio.

In the city that’s the biggest terror target in the world, the NYPD is providing 24/7 body-guard services to the marble statue of Christopher Columbus in Columbus Circle.

Considering it's NYC that's nothing compared to the alt-right swastika graffiti.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2017, 12:17 pm

yup. the liar-in-chief, authoritarian-in-chief, bloviator-in-chief doesn't seem to mind starting wwIII, as senator corker pointed out.

and on a personal note, i guess friendships aren't very important to you. gonna miss you.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2017, 11:25 am

Uh oh, even Fox is unhappy with Trump:

(This is trending, I don't watch Fox news)

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2017, 1:01 pm

nurseangela wrote:
Like we don't have enough crap to worry about.
A- holes.

Antifa Group Plans Nationwide 'Deface Columbus Day' Actions for Monday

Violent left-wing anarchists have announced a nationwide campaign to deface Christopher Columbus statues this coming Monday.

Are you really insisting vandalism is violence now? :lol:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2017, 4:25 pm

from robert reich:

This morning I phoned my old friend, a Republican former member of Congress.
Me: So what’s up? Is Corker alone, or are others also ready to call it quits with Trump?
He: All I know is they’re simmering over there.
Me: Flake and McCain have come pretty close.
He: Yeah. Others are thinking about doing what Bob did. Sounding the alarm. They think Trump’s nuts. Unfit. Dangerous.
Me: Well, they already knew that, didn’t they?
He: But now it’s personal. It started with the Sessions stuff. Jeff was as loyal as they come. Trump’s crapping on him was like kicking your puppy. And then, you know, him beating up on Mitch for the Obamacare fiasco. And going after Flake and the others.
Me: So they're pissed off?
He: Not just that. I mean, they have thick hides. The personal stuff got them to notice all the other things. The wild stuff, like those threats to North Korea. Tillerson would leave tomorrow if he wasn’t so worried Trump would go nuclear, literally.
Me: You think Trump is really thinking nuclear war?
He: Who knows what’s in his head? But I can tell you this. He’s not listening to anyone. Not a soul. He’s got the nuclear codes and, well, it scares the hell out of me. It’s starting to scare all of them. That’s really why Bob spoke up.
Me: So what could they do? I mean, even if the whole Republican leadership was willing to say publicly he’s unfit to serve, what then?
He: Bingo! The emperor has no clothes. It’s a signal to everyone they can bail. Have to bail to save their skins. I mean, Trump could be the end of the whole goddam Republican party.
Me: If he starts a nuclear war, that could be the end of everything.
He: Yeah, right. So when they start bailing on him, the stage is set.
Me: For what?
He: Impeachment. 25th amendment.
Me: You think Republicans would go that far?
He: Not yet. Here’s the thing. They really want to get this tax bill through. That’s all they have going for them. They don’t want to face voters in ’18 or ’20 without something to show for it. They’re just praying Trump doesn’t do something really, really stupid before the tax bill.
Me: Like a nuclear war?
He: Look, all I can tell you is many of the people I talk with are getting freaked out. It’s not as if there’s any careful strategizing going on. Not like, well, do we balance the tax bill against nuclear war? No, no. They’re worried as hell. They’re also worried about Trump crazies, all the ignoramuses he’s stirred up. I mean, Roy Moore? How many more of them do you need to destroy the party?
Me: So what’s gonna happen?
He: You got me. I’m just glad I’m not there anymore. Trump’s not just a moron. He’s a despicable human being. And he’s getting crazier. Paranoid. Unhinged. Everyone knows it. I mean, we’re in s**t up to our eyeballs with this guy.