Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Greatshield17
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

11 Dec 2017, 7:47 pm

I'm really reluctant to post this here, but I'm not sure where else to post this, I want this to be a peaceful discussion, not a debate.

Tomorrow (Or today, for some people) is the Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe, and I'm really looking forward to it for a whole host of reasons. One of the reasons I'm fan of Our Lady of Guadalupe is that I have a huge devotion to Our Lady of Fatima. Our Lady of Fatima played a huge role in my reversion to the Catholic Faith and if you study the history of Marian devotion, you'll actually find a link between Our Lady of Guadalupe and Our Lady of Fatima. (I mean there is only one Mary, Our Lady of Guadalupe and Our Lady of Fatima our the same person, but the apparitions themselves have linked if you check out the history of the two images and the history involved in them, for now I'll just give a hint: Our Lady of Fatima referred to herself as "Our Lady of the Rosary")

The Second reason I'm a huge looking forward to the Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe is that Our Lady appeared pregnant in that apparition and oddly enough, I actually have a statue of Mary pregnant, it's called Our Lady of Hope here's a photo of it and I a shrine I made for it:

I'd love to go into both of these points and others, I'm sure a lot of people here who know about Our Lady of Guadalupe really like the Aztec symbolism of her apparition. But for now, I let everyone talk to me about Our Lady of Guadalupe. So tell me, what do you know about Our Lady of Guadalupe? Are you a fellow Catholic celebrating this Feast? Do you have a devotion to her? What do you like about Our Lady Guadalupe?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2017, 8:01 pm

I know that she appeared to native Indian in Mexico a few years after Cortez conquered Mexico, and that she is a national symbol of Mexico.

That's about all that I know about it (or can recall about it). Am a Gringo Norte Americano dude of WASP (White Anglo Saxon Protestant) background. So I am more than one cultural removes from it.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2017, 8:18 pm

I always say: "Whatever floats your boat."

I saw a great movie called "Coco." It's sort of a Claymation type of thing. It's about how "The Day of the Dead" kept a family together.

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2017, 8:29 pm

Greatshield, I think your devotion is lovely. And I'm well aware that what matters is not what I think, but what God thinks. :-)

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Greatshield17
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

11 Dec 2017, 8:47 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I always say: "Whatever floats your boat."

I saw a great movie called "Coco." It's sort of a Claymation type of thing. It's about how "The Day of the Dead" kept a family together.

Yeah I saw the trailers for that movie. It reminded me of trailers for another movie called "Book of Life," have seen that? (I've seen neither) If so are there any relations between the two movies other than dealing with the same culture?

Greatshield17
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

11 Dec 2017, 8:49 pm

Esmerelda Weatherwax wrote:
Greatshield, I think your devotion is lovely. And I'm well aware that what matters is not what I think, but what God thinks. :-)

Thank you, easier said than done sometimes. :)

techstepgenr8tion
SomeRandomGuy
SomeRandomGuy

11 Dec 2017, 9:08 pm

If you can and if you're interested I'd say fast and meditate, spend a good amount of time in contemplation of her and what her guidance of the world means to you.

As far as my Catholicism, I grew up with it but ultimately went Hermetic - strangely the content of the bible had a lot to do with that in my case.

As for what I think of her, no insult or offence intended to doctrine, she was said at one time to have 10,000 names - some of the most prominent being Isis, Sophia, Mary Queen of Heaven, Yahweh Elohim, and probably the most beautiful and primal of them all, Ma.

Greatshield17
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

11 Dec 2017, 9:34 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
If you can and if you're interested I'd say fast and meditate, spend a good amount of time in contemplation of her and what her guidance of the world means to you.

As far as my Catholicism, I grew up with it but ultimately went Hermetic - strangely the content of the bible had a lot to do with that in my case.

As for what I think of her, no insult or offence intended to doctrine, she was said at one time to have 10,000 names - some of the most prominent being Isis, Sophia, Mary Queen of Heaven, Yahweh Elohim, and probably the most beautiful and primal of them all, Ma.

On the first Sunday of Advent, I sent a message to my Catholic friends requesting that we exchange prayer intentions for Advent, my prayer request was help overcoming my sins and vices, one of them being Acedia. (I assume you know what Acedia is, but if not I'll give you a definition in the next post.) Well this morning, one of my friends sent me and everyone a message that he the folk at his parish going to say a rosary together and he include our intentions to it. That day, I found an excellent video on Acedia, it had more to do with Acedia effect on todays society (which in and of itself was quite fascinating) than Acedia in one's own personal life, but the advice it did give on one's personal life was quite helpful.

Everyday, I kneel at around 2:30, I kneel in front of my shrine of Our Lady of Hope (pictured above) and meditate. Today, I made an extra effort to be more quiet and receptive, as suggested in the video on Acedia, it was quite a fruitful meditation.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2017, 9:44 pm

You would enjoy "Coco." I haven't seen the other movie.

Greatshield17
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

11 Dec 2017, 9:48 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
You would enjoy "Coco." I haven't seen the other movie.

Okay, I'll consider it...

techstepgenr8tion
SomeRandomGuy
SomeRandomGuy

11 Dec 2017, 9:50 pm

Greatshield17 wrote:
Well this morning, one of my friends sent me and everyone a message that he the folk at his parish going to say a rosary together and he include our intentions to it.

While a lot of protestants jump all over Matthew 8 about repetitive prayer I think they miss the picture that it's a meditative device as well as what's often referred to these days as neurolinguistic programming, something that actually has a great deal of import in spirituality because in a lot of ways you are your habits. The Eastern Orthodox churches have an even more rigorous version of this called the Jesus Prayer which is repeated across every in and out breath throughout the day when it can be managed.

Greatshield17 wrote:
That day, I found an excellent video on Acedia, it had more to do with Acedia effect on todays society (which in and of itself was quite fascinating) than Acedia in one's own personal life, but the advice it did give on one's personal life was quite helpful.

From the description I saw I could tell whether it was meant to be a synonym for ennui, depression, nihilism, or some combination of the three. None of that's particularly fun though - best to you on working through it!

Greatshield17
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

11 Dec 2017, 10:50 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
While a lot of protestants jump all over Matthew 8 about repetitive prayer I think they miss the picture that it's a meditative device as well as what's often referred to these days as neurolinguistic programming, something that actually has a great deal of import in spirituality because in a lot of ways you are your habits. The Eastern Orthodox churches have an even more rigorous version of this called the Jesus Prayer which is repeated across every in and out breath throughout the day when it can be managed.

I do sometimes say the Jesus Prayer, some times in english, sometimes in Latin, ("Domine Iesu Christe, Fili Dei, miserere mei, peccatoris.") occasionally I have periods where I'll say it repeatedly for a bit. I also have a devotion to the Divine Mercy, and that includes both the Chaplet of Divine Mercy, (Which I don't say that often unfortunately). and the "Jesus I Trust" in prayer which I'll also go into periods of saying repeatedly on occasion. (I also say this one in Latin "Iesu Confido Tibi")

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
From the description I saw I could tell whether it was meant to be a synonym for ennui, depression, nihilism, or some combination of the three. None of that's particularly fun though - best to you on working through it!

Yeah, Acedia is a combination of ennui, depression, and perhaps nihilism, Acedia is the inability to enjoy reality. The sin of sloth is mild form of this, but Acedia can also manifest itself in excess work or an excessive seeking of entertainment, it's basically doing everything to stave off one's dissatisfaction with life. Improving my meditation, is deinately one thing that will help in overcoming this - thanks for your wishing me well!

Kiprobalhato
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

12 Dec 2017, 12:55 am

in mexico (at least jalisco, where i usually go), one can't go ten minutes without seeing a depiction of the lady of guadalupe somewhere, people really do have a fixation towards her there and, when they immigrate here to california they take it with them. we've had several statues and posters in our home, though i wasn't aware the feast was tomorrow.

my mothers hometown has "fiestas patronales" every year for the patron saint of the town, i usually go there for 10 days but this year i won't be able to.

kraftiekortie wrote:

CGI. stop motion is the forte of laika.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2017, 1:15 am

I respect your right to your beliefs, and feel you should have the utmost freedom to worship as you please. As a Lutheran, I choose not to believe in that aspect of Catholicism, which is also my right and freedom.

Greatshield17
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

12 Dec 2017, 10:13 pm

Kiprobalhato wrote:
in mexico (at least jalisco, where i usually go), one can't go ten minutes without seeing a depiction of the lady of guadalupe somewhere, people really do have a fixation towards her there and, when they immigrate here to california they take it with them. we've had several statues and posters in our home, though i wasn't aware the feast was tomorrow.

my mothers hometown has "fiestas patronales" every year for the patron saint of the town, i usually go there for 10 days but this year i won't be able to.

I'm have a Chilean mestizo heritage via my dad's side of my family, unfortunately my dad didn't bring a lot of his culture with him when he immigrated up here to Canada. I only just recently started looking into my heritage after reverting to the Catholic Faith, I've already found quite a few interesting things on my family. My next thread will probably be a discussion on my extended family in the Getting to know each other sub-forum.