Should religious people be detained n mental hospitals?

Page 1 of 6 [ 96 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

fifasy
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2018, 12:19 pm

I think anyone who claims a being there is no proof of existing is real should be diagnosed with schizophrenia, detained against their will in a mental hospital and pumped full of drugs. It is curious that we do that to people who talk to "voices" but not to people who talk to "God".

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2018, 12:27 pm

All mental hospitals should be closed. Coercive psychiatry is a scam. The state should function to enhance the liberty and prosperity of the individual and to provide aid for those that cannot care for themselves. The state must serve the people; the individual must never be forced or coerced to serve the state outside judicial functions.

Last edited by Tequila on 05 Mar 2018, 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2018, 12:28 pm

There are 5.8 billion religious people in the world. That's QUITE a lot of hospital beds to fill!

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2018, 12:29 pm

What would be the cost to build and staff mental hospitals for most of the population? How would the world run if we prevent most of the population from working by institutionalizing them?

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2018, 12:30 pm

redrobin62 wrote:
There are 5.8 billion religious people in the world. That's QUITE a lot of hospital beds to fill!

I can see it providing comfort to some although I shall never believe in a god. People must be allowed to believe whatever they like as long as they do not harm others.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2018, 12:37 pm

Tequila wrote:
All mental hospitals should be closed. Coercive psychiatry is a scam. The state should function to enhance the liberty and prosperity of the individual and to provide aid for those that cannot care for themselves. The state must serve the people; the individual must never be forced or coerced to serve the state outside judicial functions.

Seconded.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

bobaspie2015
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Mar 2018, 12:49 pm

Tequila wrote:
redrobin62 wrote:
People must be allowed to believe whatever they like as long as they do not harm others.

I agree with this part of Tequila statement. I believe in my God, but I would never push my beliefs upon another.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2018, 1:00 pm

If a person wants to believe in a God, I say "go ahead."

As long as this person doesn't seek to harm me because I don't believe in a God.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2018, 1:04 pm

No.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

fifasy
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2018, 1:05 pm

Religious people harm people all the time though. They brainwash children and make them bully. They encourage their children to bully different religions or atheist kids or the kids who can't afford to be middle class respextable religious people. Religion is very divisive. It is one of the biggest causes of sexism, war and domestic violence. I wish people could see it more.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2018, 1:13 pm

fifasy wrote:
I think anyone who claims a being there is no proof of existing is real should be diagnosed with schizophrenia, detained against their will in a mental hospital and pumped full of drugs. It is curious that we do that to people who talk to "voices" but not to people who talk to "God".

Given that religious people are still the majority, we would need to sacrifice democratic principles in order to achieve this.

So no.

It would be better to just fight for progressive reform, and ally ourselves with Christians who favor the New Testament.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2018, 1:20 pm

fifasy wrote:
I most definitely see your point here, but that's a lot of people to lock up. I don't think people should be locked up for simply believing in something that can't be proved, but I do think extremists should be locked up. Those who want to kill abortion docs or infidels have no business being free, the safety of other people matter more.

Those who don't let their belief take over hand, or maybe just find comfort in it, I see nothing wrong with that. (I*m an atheist by the way).

People who would be violent over their belief or force their opinion on someone else, are a problem (and not just when it comes to religion).

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2018, 1:31 pm

I would say a miniscule quantity of religious people should be locked up.

I would be inclined to say NO religious person--unless the person commits a crime--just like if an atheist commits a crime.

If somebody bombs an abortion clinic, it would be a serious felony, whether the perpetrator was religious or not.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2018, 1:34 pm

Why are you so upset today?

Tross
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2018, 1:47 pm

Um...what? Maybe people who believe that people should be detained in mental hospitals based on their beliefs should be the ones institutionalized. Screw that turd of a President, but he is at least standing up for the rights of religious people. I mean, we don't need his white-knighting and have survived much worse than whatever regulations the Democrats imposed, but I suppose even a dunce has a silver lining, even if it comes at the expense of the environment and relations with literally every other country except maybe Russia. *Reads that Russia is brandishing nukes* I stand corrected.

Besides, anyone who doesn't recognize freedom of religion is a fascist. You don't have to be religious, but you should recognize someone's right to believe in what they believe in. If you presume to tell people what they should value or believe that's fascism, and I'm so glad you're not in a position of power. I do believe laws should be in place that recognize religious freedom to a point. Murder, for example, should be treated as wrong no matter what beliefs led someone to commit it. But, if someone practices their faith peacefully and doesn't break the law in doing so, there's no reason to restrict their rights.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

05 Mar 2018, 2:39 pm

Religious people should only be detained in mental hospitals if they present a serious demonstrable threat to the physical health of others due to a mental illness, or if they volunteer.

For the most part, the mentally ill should be treated in their communities. Most mentally ill people are not dangerous. Community treatment and integration is much better in the long term.

Most religious people are not mentally ill. Hearing voices does not make you mentally ill.