Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2017, 11:35 am

yelekam wrote:
Wolfram87 wrote:
Are we talking about any and all possible forms of legalized prostitution here, or did someone defend sexual slavery when I wasn't looking?

regardless, both are degrading, inhumane, and exploitive practices which should not be tolerated, and the pathetic figures who seek to treat other people as commodities deserve to be prohibited and punished for their transgressions.

I do not believe you can defend this position. Prostitution itself is separate from the exploitation, the inhumanity and the degredation that comes with it being illegal. Just like with prohibition of alcohol and the wonderfully successful war on drugs; when you make illegal something for which a great demand exists, you throw money into the hands of those who already have the means and the will to break the law in the name of profit. Just like more or less every thinking person understands that legalizing drugs would be a nightmare for organized crime, so too would a government-sanctioned option for those seeking the services of (not owning them as commodities) a courtesan. This in turn would free up money to fight the more horrific elements of organized crime such as child trafficking/prostitution and illegal weapon smuggling.

And you realize that one of (if not the) largest demographic who seek out prostitutes are people with disabilities, such as myself and myriad others on this site? Because they seek a modicum of physical intimacy and sexual release generally denied them through regular means. There's even some countries (Holland, I think) where doctors can prescribe visits to prostitutes as a means to improve physical and mental well being in disabled people.

Make no mistake, it should be regulated. The workers should be insured, have regular medical checkups and be able to choose their clients and what type of sex acts they're willing to engage in. Being a client should involve things like going through a vetting process and include a medical checkup, as well. But I do think a reasonably funtional system could be set up that would prevent exploitation of either party.

Admittedly, regulations would mean it wouldn't entirely kill the illegal market for it, but it would severely cripple the income of those who make their living targeting and exploiting those with no other recourse.

Also, there have been multiple societies in which various forms of prostitution was a profession held in fairly high regard.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2017, 12:05 pm

To me, the essential question becomes: Does sex belong in a separate category?

How disgusting is economic exploitation generally?

I favor legal prostitution. Look at the evidence in practice, if you can, and see that it reduces exploitation. Some people like service work! Some people like sex work! If you find them disgusting, YOU have the problem.

MushroomPrincess
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Apr 2017, 4:11 pm

I agree with Sweetleaf. Survival prostitution is exploitation, very unethical.

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2017, 4:27 pm

MushroomPrincess wrote:
I agree with Sweetleaf. Survival prostitution is exploitation, very unethical.

I agree it is unethical, although to some it is their only option. I think we need to focus more on that and give people more options.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2017, 9:08 pm

:roll: :roll:
I had to read multiple posts just to find out wtf the OP is probably talking about.

HelloWorld314
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Apr 2017, 9:57 pm

If sex is forced, then it is rape which is coded in our genetics but of course still disrupts our society regardless...the method of rape is way outdated now. If sex is not forced nor blackmailed, then I think prostitution with good regulations is a good thing. For starters those who want to rape can go to work and pay prostitutes without being judged and as a result they are much less likely to assault random women for sex. As long as the prostitutes choose their industry and have the free will to leave any time then I don't see anything wrong with it. I would have probably prostituted myself if the industry were regulated and people were to stop judging prostitutes. I deeply regret that society deems the job of prostitution unethical and I couldn't use this means to earn some extra cash without getting myself into long term troubles.

Anyway, what is the discussion topic of this post anyway, OP does not seem to specify the context?

p.s. English is not my native language, please correct me if I have made any mistakes. I would really appreciate it. Thanks:)

feral botanist
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2017, 6:17 pm

Raptor wrote:
I had to read multiple posts just to find out wtf the OP is probably talking about.

So you dont really know what the OP is about, yet you feel the need to still post something?

Interesting... :lol:

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2017, 6:25 pm

Lunella wrote:
I don't agree with it and yes humans really are f*****g disgusting but I'm not gonna get all defensive and butthurt about it because this s**t happens so often, I'd be a wreck if I let s**t like that bother me constantly like what can you even do about it? I mean I guess if you see it you could always butt in and put some proper perspective into the weak and vulnerable but even then you're taking a risk of them in denial and flipping out at you.

The only thing anyone can really do is just raise awareness about it, raise awareness about extortion, manipulation etc.

This kinda thing even happens on the 'norm' like, you get Thai brides, women looking for a rich dude to get a better life and out of a really bad country in return of regular sex/fake affection. Life shouldn't have to be this way but eh, capitalism ruins everything and we won't live long enough to see a better change in society. Try to not let it get to you so much eventhough it's horrible.

I second this.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2017, 9:26 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
The 'Red Cross' organization offers poor people money for their blood.

Is that "disgusting" too?

I don't think so, blood can be used to save lives...coerced sex doesn't save anyone.

Did the right winger brigade get here fast enough?

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2017, 8:26 am

feral botanist wrote:
Raptor wrote:

So you dont really know what the OP is about, yet you feel the need to still post something?

It's really terrible isn't it?Someone should do something about it.

Btw, I deleted your last love letter without reading it. The one about freedom of speech.

feral botanist
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2017, 10:49 pm

Raptor wrote:
feral botanist wrote:
Raptor wrote:

It's really terrible isn't it?Someone should do something about it.

Btw, I deleted your last love letter without reading it. The one about freedom of speech.

Of course you did.
Every special little snowflake needs a safe space where thier fragile ideas are not challenged.
Yours is here :)