2 Men in Indonesia Sentenced to Caning for Having Gay Sex

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2017, 7:10 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
The left isn't promoting Sharia intolerance for gays or anyone else, but rather is concerned that Muslim Americans are being demonized by bigots from both high and low places in this country. It's more a matter of defending everyone's right to worship.

One thing I got to think about with this today. Do we give the Ugandan Christians much of a break on their behavior in this regard for being African? In a hypothetical scenario where a group of Ugandan Christians came to the states and wanted to set up a town that went by Levitical law would we bend over backward to protect them as Africans or would our cultural familiarity with Christianity lead us to instantly call both their behavior and the bible BS? This is where the 'protect the brown person at all costs!' bit starts unraveling in coherence because I still think it depends which type of brown person, which religion, etc.. and I still don't understand how keeping American muslims safe means criticizing the behavior of their theocratic states extends as bigotry - even though the left does tend to play that game.

Plenty of those on the right associate Muslim Americans with autocratic Muslim states, and with terrorists. Just look at the support the right gave the Muslim ban.
And "protect the brown person at all cost?" Have you seen the ethnic makeup of American prisons? Or who it is who the police more often than not hassle, physically abuse, and even kill?

techstepgenr8tion
SomeRandomGuy
SomeRandomGuy

19 May 2017, 7:20 pm

I wasn't posting that to debate, it was more just something to chew on. I really had no illusion that it would be answered or attended to in any direct manner.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2017, 9:38 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
I wasn't posting that to debate, it was more just something to chew on. I really had no illusion that it would be answered or attended to in any direct manner.

Okay, sorry. I didn't know it was meant to just be rhetorical.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2017, 2:54 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Do we give the Ugandan Christians much of a break on their behavior in this regard for being African?

No.

(Adult content warning.) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=On3etueeGIg

The West has actually sent so many advocates, to so may different countries, that we are assumed to be promoting it, proactively.

When we think we are spreading freedoms, more-modest countries think we are spreading vices; there is no freedom from it. They want freedom from religion, but not freedom from sacrilege.