Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

19 Jul 2017, 8:36 pm

If you had to leave everything behind but got to choose 5 things to take with you what would they be?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2017, 11:26 am

1. A tablet with 4-G capability

2. Canned food

3. A can/bottle opener combination

4. Clothes

5. Liquid soap

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

21 Jul 2017, 4:29 am

That's well reasoned. I was thinking of emergency exits.
Like when you're leaving because of fire, flood, or tsunami.
The quick-grab-leave.

I once tried to grab the one thing that mattered the most -
and ended up in the street with a pink hairbrush.

Another time I opened my front door to a friend who had
escaped a burning building - she had come over on the bus
in her nightgown (granny gown) and she carried a pillow,
a bottle of Pepto Bismol, and 2 spoons.

Does anybody remember exits like that?

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 5:29 am

I'm with kraftie on the reasoning, I was thinking of stuff like an en-suite bathroom.
If it was a grab and go, I'd be happy if I was properly dressed and (in particular) wearing a pair of shoes.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 11:11 am

My pets.
If I was assembling a "bug out" bag in case of a natural or man made disaster then you should have your important documents,like ID,insurance,birth certificate,social security card,cash,small valuables like jewelry etc..Medications you will need,photos that are important,and emergency supplies like water,flashlight,cell phone,first aid kit,non perishable food items,lighter or matches,grooming supplies like toothbrush,and a blanket.Have pet carriers ready to go with food and any medication your pets may need.Have shoes and clothes ready to go.Keep the gas tank full always,if possible,a station may not be open.
We were at risk for wildfires a few summers back and this is what was advised for getting out quick.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 11:39 am

Yep...the important documents---especially if they have not been computerized yet.

I can get my birth certificate the same day by just showing up at the NYC Bureau of Vital Statistics, and giving them 15 bucks.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 8:26 pm

My wife.
My daughter.
My cat.
All important documents pertaining to identification and ownership.
Lots and lots of money.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2017, 10:12 pm

1. Documents -- Certificates, Diplomas, IDs, etc.. -- They're all in a same briefcase.
2. Money. At least lots of them. Unless it's a mass disaster or some sort of Apocalypse, it's food instead.
3. A bag that contains stuff -- cellphones, wallets, keys, contract and address books, toiletries, snacks, and extra clothing. I actually bring these at work every time.
4. Towels/Blankets. Especially if it's a storm.
5. Medicines.

I live in an archipelago country that lies on the Pacific Ring of Fire, with annual storms and heat wave.
My specific location is at the center province of the mainland whereas there are no volcanoes, forests, mountains, hills, or large body of waters nearby.

Yet since a certain dam in another city released flood water about 3 years ago, my current city became flood prone too. According to every seniors and most adults I've known, the city wasn't like that for more than 30 years. :| And last time there was an earthquake here was about 20+ years or so. Recently, there had been warnings for months -- keeping the locals aware and alert...

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 2:01 am

Not necessarily in this order
1. Backpack with essentials (not really a single item since I can stuff all kinds of $hit in there)
2. M-4 Carbine
3. .45 or 9mm handgun
4. iPhone
5. Money

My dog but I don't consider him a "thing".

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 2:24 am

gee raptor, TWO gunz?? why? :)

it really depends on the situation. are we leaving everything behind and starting a new life, or are we just evacuating a home?

i'll decide based on the former.

ok:

1) backpack with the following stuff, some documents essential for identifying oneself and proving personhood (cheating?)
2) phone.
3) money.
4) drawing materials.
5) canned food?

i'd take a gun if i had one at the time. but i'm gunless for now.

besides that, i really don't know. i'd love to bring my sculptures/figurines along (i'm a pygmalion) but they're fragile and don't take well to being handled in a less than meticulously careful manner, bundled up with a bunch of other stuff.

and perhaps we may have stretched the semantics of the question....does a backpack with stuff count as one thing, or a bunch?

does a car count? if faced with the choice, i would certainly not abandon my precious car but i can see how she could become a burden in an emergency situation. but then again, a valuable asset in the same!

i definitely don't consider my partner a "thing", but i would bring her with me whenever i could. if i had to.

i don't think there's much that can go wrong, in terms of natural disasters in the specific area where i live other than earthquakes, but AFAIK you can't really predict those with enough accuracy/forewarning to evacuate, and then where would you go?

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 3:18 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:
gee raptor, TWO gunz?? why? :)

One's carbine the other is a handgun. Different tools for different jobs.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

22 Jul 2017, 8:41 am

For heaven's sake, Raptor, FBI just clocked that. Kindly express your benevolence! :heart:

Last edited by Claradoon on 22 Jul 2017, 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

22 Jul 2017, 8:44 am

Unless you're in the military?

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 10:20 am

Claradoon wrote:
For heaven's sake, Raptor, FBI just clocked that. Kindly express your benevolent intentions! :heart:

I don't care what the FBI "clocked". If I need to be that paranoid that the FBI watches everything we post then we do need a change in government.

There is nothing benevolent or malevolent in my intentions. If things are so bad that I need to leave home like that then I'm thinking potential WROL (Without Rule of Law) scenario in which case I want to be well armed. The carbine (and by that I mean a semi-auto M-4 carbine, a.k.a CAR-15) may be kept out of sight behind the back seat of my SUV or openly displayed, depending...
It is actually legal to do that.

It's better to have a thing and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2017, 10:26 am

Claradoon wrote:
If you had to leave everything behind but got to choose 5 things to take with you what would they be?

Well where am I going in this senerio, as that would likely factor into which things I would choose?

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

22 Jul 2017, 3:00 pm

The disaster you imagine, if you will. There are already several kinds here. Raptor surprised me by bringing guns, ergo some form of war.

My mother once escaped from my father; she carried a pillow, Pepto Bismol, and 2 spoons. She forgot the money under her other pillow.

I suppose the question can go either way. A planned leave or a panicked leave. Even a planned leave can be interesting - I once arrived in my new apartment with hundreds of books and nothing else.

Maybe it's 'what would you do' vs 'what did you do.' Real or imaginary.

If this thread is offensive, maybe we should drop it.