Jordan Peterson & Bret Weinstein on Fascism and Far Right

Page 3 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2017, 12:19 pm

I have a local contact who allegedly knows a lot of these ranting and raving type snowflakes whom I've heard a lot about, but have never actually met. I don't think I'll know how they tick until I actually meet them in person. It sounds like they have a significant intersection with other mental health issues. I mean, isn't someone who flies off the handle all the time over slights clearly troubled?

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2017, 6:52 pm

I think I might understand them if I'm correct about this.

To admit to the actualities of the human condition is absolutely heart-wrenching. Add to this almost every corner of our culture is trying to tell us something else other than that we live on a blank planet, our lives are meaningless, and that life isn't at all necessarily about personal or even societal growth or progress - factors beyond our control largely hold the keys to that (and I'd add something scarier still - IMHO we're also far more than likely immortal, IN a universe about as meaningful as Dawkins or Dennett would say it is).

I think one of the people who does the best job of explaining the human condition element of that, when he does get on the topic, is Douglas Murray although I think I vaguely remember John Michael Greer saying similar kinds of things when asked about it - that essentially you have people who will want to stay on the front line of a battle, camp out, and keep the battle going because they have nothing to go home to. It's also part of why mass movements grab people up - ie. they get to be heroes and deeply gratify their need for meaning, purpose, making the world a better place, etc. even if what they're doing isn't nearly well thought out enough to be that at all. It's just seems like a method for scratching the religious itch.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin