Page 2 of 4 [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2018, 10:50 pm

Pepe wrote:
aghogday wrote:
<snip>

Look Within; Feel, Sense, Dance Life. Unless one 'thinks' that life is not worth being Happy which most ironically
is often what folks are thinking right now and moreover with so-called First World Problems as self-fulfilling empty.

In short and long; i am 33.33 Percent Science and 66.66 Art but it's true looking at those numbers just make me feel good.

SMiLES
LiFE BE
iN iT..:)

To be clear; to each iS own; this may
not work for everyone but the case study
evidence as documented online for the last
2596 Days makes it more than clear it works for me..:)

Balance; life is all about a Balance of Art and Science;
neglect either and fAil; as far as i for one can and will see now..:)

A very interesting presentation and consolidation of ideas...Kudos...
But as you say, to each their own...
"There are many paths to the top of the mountain..."
And: "To thine own self be true..." :wink:

Thanks, Pepe, for the kind words in reciprocation
here and thanks for presenting this interesting topic of
"Emotionalists Verse Rationalists" on the Wrong Planet and
"To thine own self be true", is surely a great tune to find in life
but as Maslow Says; often, self actualization comes later in life in fulfilling
a Greater Variety of Intelligences; some of which current Standard IQ Measures
don't even touch; namely, physical, emotional, and existential intelligences other
than the brief years the students in Grade School through High School spend in Physical
Education, often ending by the 9th Grade, these days. After Close to 33 years of Work mixed
in Tandem with 19 Years of School, ultimately leading to Three College Degrees, even in the
Arts and Sciences of Social Sciences Interdisciplinary, Anthroplogy, and Health Science as those
First Two Degrees earned as Two Bachelor's of Arts Degrees and the Health Degree as a Bachelor's
of Science Degree with some Graduate School after that when i finally fell to what folks name
as Autism Spectrum Burn-out, at the end of that Work and School Career; i came to the
realization i had a whole lot more to learn that i had no clue about as far as additional
Physical, Emotional, and Existential Intelligences. After 33 Months without effective
use of eyes and ears and a whole lot of hours for introspection and when i finally
could accommodate the eye pain to start writing on this website For 33 Months
until i recovered enough to enjoy life again; that became the second tier
of my life education in autodidact way, to finally achieve self-actualization
in what you say here as fully being true to thine self no matter what anyone
else said or did about who i became next. Smiles, it wasn't easy but it was all worth
it and it is true it takes Diversity to make any Group of Social Animals Work and particularly
Humans as we have in just one lifetime, overall, become functionally disabled in many ways per
the General Population that has no label of disorder except for, "it ain't working out''; True though;
Born without the ability to speak until age 4 with this Autism Spectrum thingie and the gift and curse
of Bi-Polar Disorder, i am just another Canary in a Coal mine who figured how to get out and about for
Free. True; if can do it, i imagine other folks will find a way to do it too; if they never give up; true that
is key
no matter
what; never give up.
And one day just do it,
no matter who complains
about who one is now; again, it works for me.
Best of wishes to you to be true to yourself too in all the self actualizing ways that come next..:)

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2018, 5:10 pm

And now for a slight change of pace...
I will be considering the spectrum of emotionality and rationality...

So how far does the pendulum have to swing before one or the other becomes toxic?
Since I see no immediate downside to rationalism, I'll leave that to others to comment on if they wish...

From personal experience I have seen the feral side of emotionalism...
I have experienced the utter futility in trying to reason with someone who is not willing to listen...
And I have been amazed and appalled at the vindictiveness which often results when these "two worlds collide"...

In theory, reason should never be beaten by unqualified irrational arguments, and yet it is an observable fact that it is impossible to convince someone on anything when they are engrossed in an extreme passionate emotionalism...
Obviously in a situation such as this, the individual has regressed into the more primitive state of mind through engaging the instinctual behaviour initiated by the unthinking reptilian brain in particular, or so it seems to me...

I thank you for your time...<bow>
<applause can be heard as the speaker leaves the room> :mrgreen:

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2018, 5:31 pm

Pepe wrote:

So how far does the pendulum have to swing before one or the other becomes toxic?
Since I see no immediate downside to rationalism, I'll leave that to others to comment on if they wish...

Strict rationality would be toxic when it causes one to devalue and ignore their own feelings and/or the feelings of others and how those feelings can impact how people react and respond. Whether we like it or not, our fellow humans aren't strictly rational creatures and trying to understand them from a strictly rational perspective is inherently doomed to failure.

Further, as none of us are strictly rational creatures (no matter how much one might believe they are), making the assumption that one's self is only will compound the previous issue.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2018, 6:18 pm

funeralxempire wrote:

Strict rationality would be toxic when it causes one to devalue and ignore their own feelings and/or the feelings of others and how those feelings can impact how people react and respond.

I have considered this previously and believe this would only become a significant social problem in an individual if they had sociopathic or psychopathic tendencies...just an opinion.

Embracing ethicality is an intellectual concept created as a result of the neocortex, not the reptilian brain.
All that is needed is a commitment/allegiance to an ethical code of behaviour...
For example, I myself made a conscious allegiance in respecting the truth, which I see as a more heavily intellectual, rather than emotional choice despite the close natural affinity that I (and most on the spectrum) have with truthfulness.

BTW, Interestingly, a psychopath does not have to be antisocial...
It is a matter of choice to conform or not conform to social conventions/protocols...
Conversely, not everyone who has a built in moral compass could be described as a pillar of society...
It is heavily dependent on the individual, surely...

funeralxempire wrote:

Whether we like it or not, our fellow humans aren't strictly rational creatures and trying to understand them from a strictly rational perspective is inherently doomed to failure.

Agreed as to our having both an emotional and rational side to us...
But... :mrgreen:
Consider a court judge who, by definition of his job description, needs to be rational/impartial/objective and not influenced by his/her personal feelings...
Rationality can be adopted without becoming a homicidal sociopath or psychopath...

As to a rationalist not understanding emotionalist, I have to disagree...
Personally I believe a scientific approach in most things is more...errr...scientific... ;)

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2018, 6:47 pm

Pepe wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Strict rationality would be toxic when it causes one to devalue and ignore their own feelings and/or the feelings of others and how those feelings can impact how people react and respond.

I have considered this previously and believe this would only become a significant social problem in an individual if they had sociopathic or psychopathic tendencies...just an opinion.

Embracing ethicality is an intellectual concept created as a result of the neocortex, not the reptilian brain.
All that is needed is a commitment/allegiance to an ethical code of behaviour...
For example, I myself made a conscious allegiance in respecting the truth, which I see as a more heavily intellectual, rather than emotional choice despite the close natural affinity that I (and most on the spectrum) have with truthfulness.

BTW, Interestingly, a psychopath does not have to be antisocial...
It is a matter of choice to conform or not conform to social conventions/protocols...
Conversely, not everyone who has a built in moral compass could be described as a pillar of society...
It is heavily dependent on the individual, surely...

funeralxempire wrote:

Whether we like it or not, our fellow humans aren't strictly rational creatures and trying to understand them from a strictly rational perspective is inherently doomed to failure.

Agreed as to our having both an emotional and rational side to us...
But... :mrgreen:
Consider a court judge who, by definition of his job description, needs to be rational/impartial/objective and not influenced by his/her personal feelings...
Rationality can be adopted without becoming a homicidal sociopath or psychopath...

As to a rationalist not understanding emotionalist, I have to disagree...
Personally I believe a scientific approach in most things is more...errr...scientific... ;)

FWIW: Psychopath is about as useful of term in this context as ret*d or moron.

Firstly, you asked for examples of can rationality be toxic, not if it must be. I would insist that strictly clinging to either has the possibility to be toxic, but also that neither is guaranteed to be toxic.

Most of your response fails to directly address my points and just gets lost on 'what ifs' and other tangents with some word salad thrown in for fun. :|

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

melanie25
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Jan 2018, 5:39 am

I am an emotionalist first, and then I become a rationalist :lol: I mean, being choleric by nature, first I do things, and then I think about what I did :?

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2018, 5:43 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Pepe wrote:

Strict rationality would be toxic when it causes one to devalue and ignore their own feelings and/or the feelings of others and how those feelings can impact how people react and respond. Whether we like it or not, our fellow humans aren't strictly rational creatures and trying to understand them from a strictly rational perspective is inherently doomed to failure.

Further, as none of us are strictly rational creatures (no matter how much one might believe they are), making the assumption that one's self is only will compound the previous issue.

"What we have here is a failure to communicate"... (movie quote)
Obviously we aren't "on the same page", which is fine... ;)
Let me try again...

Yes, I agree that an individual needs to learn about themselves in their entirety to become self actualised...
I also agree that if interpersonal relationships are of importance, the integration of a person's emotional component is particularly advisable...

Moving to phase... 2 ;)

I should have defined the context of my statement with greater guide lines, but I initially intended to cast a wider net. Apologies...

Let us now assume the individual is psychologically/emotionally balanced to begin with...
Let us assume the individual has significant life experience...
Let us also assume a significant other relationship is not sort after nor required...

Do you now believe the development of the discipline of rational thinking and the bridling of emotional influences would cause a personality imbalance?
If this is still the case I respectfully disagree and give my previous example of the requirements of a court judge who is expected to be impartial/objective without their personal feelings interfering with their judgment.

Personally I don't see any downside in becoming more "Vulcan" if you have no intention of engaging in a significant other relationship...

However, I do see significant problems on the other side towards heightened emotionalism...
Would not excessively embracing emotional needs inherently cause emotional instability and result in poor judgement, questionable decision making and possibly episodes of denial to cope with emotional needs?
I have literally met people like this...
I am talking from experience here... ;)

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2018, 6:19 am

To me it seems like a false dichotomy.

The OP himself said he would prefer a big SUV to a small car if he could afford something beyond a cheap practical "rational" car. So he implied that that preference means that he himself is an "emotionalist". That is an interesting admission. Never expected anyone on this thread to ever admit that "I myself am an emotionalist".

So since you apparently classify yourself as an "emotionalist" how exactly do you differ from folks around you whom consider to be "rationalists"? Besides taste in cars?

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2018, 6:28 am

naturalplastic wrote:

The OP himself said he would prefer a big SUV to a small car if he could afford something beyond a cheap practical "rational" car. So he implied that that preference means that he himself is an "emotionalist". That is an interesting admission. Never expected anyone on this thread to ever admit that "I myself am an emotionalist".

So since you apparently classify yourself as an "emotionalist" how exactly do you differ from folks around you whom consider to be "rationalists"? Besides taste in cars?

Actually you are mistaken...
What I said was my emotions were encouraging me to go with the Jeep wrangler purely because I liked the look but my intellect interposed and "stopped the nonsense"... :mrgreen:
My internal emotional lizard never had a chance, the poor thing... :wink:

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2018, 6:51 am

Obsession with anything, either being rational or as the case was maybe twenty or thirty years ago being macho, might be okay as a self-discipline device if a person is really failing themselves in a particular category but past that - when you know you either have the act down well or even too well for your psychological health, you'd want to back off of it and try to find your way back to balance. There are too many ways life can persuade you, quite rationally, that there's no point to being alive and that not existing even would be a better choice. One finds themselves in a strange place if reason is telling them to end their own life, or even that they have an obligation to honor suicide because they can't measure up to their peers for reasons beyond their control, and it's emotion and other intangible things too complex and powerful for analysis keeping them from following through.

I actually found myself in that space in my late 20's and very early 30's and I might have for a time bounced back hard toward pragmatism for a while but I think I learned that anything held on a pedestal tends to be a bit unhealthy and that life will always be a dynamic dance with your own personality attributes and faculties. You will be constantly disheartened by how you see people chose to behave out in the world, that's probably an unavoidable sorrow for most people, but it is a victory if you're able to stop beating yourself over the head in your own private space with other people's foolishness. It's easier said than done of course if that foolishness constantly waves threats at your ability to feed, cloth, and shelter yourself but when it doesn't its really best abstained from.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2018, 7:05 am

Pepe wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

Actually you are mistaken...
What I said was my emotions were encouraging me to go with the Jeep wrangler purely because I liked the look but my intellect interposed and "stopped the nonsense"... :mrgreen:
My internal emotional lizard never had a chance, the poor thing... :wink:

So? So you are an emotionalist who is constrained by a price tag. You are still an emotionalist.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2018, 12:12 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T65rW_SIzg0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBet_lgh4wc

Here is a link to a Jordan Peterson less than 10
Minute Video Clip on how to develop one's 'Shadow';
originally a Jungian Concept but of course as Human Archetypes go
a deep down part of the psyche that is surely related to the 'Dragon' Brain,
also known as the Reptilian Brain. When Fatherless Sons and Daughters and
all the variations 'tween go without rough and tumble play or hardly any play at all
where Electronic Devices become the parent this is where our Natural Ability to Develop a
Back Bone to 'say no' (in general) can and will become a problem as per Epigenetic unpacking
of 'reptile' DNA and Neuroplasticity that wires us with the ability to say no no no now other wise
known as bowing up like a Snake and saying no no no to develop greater interdependence along
the lines of independence becomes a real problem for even the way we carry ourselves less like the
Eye of the Dragon, Eye of the Tiger, etc; lacking the self confidence once again to assert themselves without fear.
As my Father, a Career Law Enforcement Officer who left my Mother when I was age 3 around the Date in 1963
when John F Kennedy was assassinated and my Mother was faced with raising me and my sister who by the way
again is diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome too as yes, there is no doubt we received the Genetics from my
Father's Side of the Family as both my Father and his Identical Twin Brother were coated with symptoms of
at least the Broader Autism Phenotype as Such; let's just say, I became a very loving child but without the
privilege of the rough and tumble play that is more often precipitated by the male influence of what
my family became as a Matriarchal one almost without any of that Gender Specific related
activity more related to Androgens and rough and tumble play. It took me a long time
to become my own Father; yes, decades as far as 'these' things go and really
it was a free style of Martial Arts that allowed me to finally become
friends with the Dragon and or Shadow within that is almost
entirely innate, instinctual, and intuitive as of course it
is farther away from intellectual speak per se, still now.
Funny thing is after being so lost most of my life about
how to be 'one of the guys', and to be clear girls have always been
my 'thing' but never the less when one doesn't learn how to naturally walk
with the grace of one who gets in tune with their dragon to master it in sync;
the nonverbal language of that lends a certain vulnerability for those who are in
the feel and sense of the mastery of their dragon/snake/eye of the tiger and stuff
like that. Thing is, with life; use it or lose applies in all stuff animal and overall existence stuff.
And for me at least, I am not 'stupid' enough to expose myself to repeated traumatic style injuries
and it doesn't matter in the Art of Martial arts as a 'force of one' whether or not i ever strike another person
or not for I personally found that the Epigenetic Result in Challenging myself to this New 'Dragon/Reptile' style
of Physical and Emotional; and yes, Existential Intelligence in terms of regulating my emotions and integrating
my senses brought about an actual Physical Change and Emotional and Yes, Sensory Change from Head to
toe in increases of Strength Empirically Measurable on a Leg Press from 500 Lbs to 1020 Lbs in terms
of 52 reps, recently at My Military Gym and please keep in mind that for most of my life, folks viewed
me as the Typical Nerd per Sheldon Cooper in the way I carried myself every where i went without
that experience of rough and tumble play from a very young age. In short, and yes in shorts
never getting cold now even in the recent 20 Degree Weather of North Florida; i transformed
from Nerd into Kind of a Smart Ape not only per say but per do too, hehe. No, i am not saying
i am Superman now but in empirical Measure per averages i am surely super normal
per my current age of 57. Yes; i was also mistaken as a Girl by the Mcdonald's
Cashier at age 12; a very Androgynous chid was i then for no doubt much of my Epigenetic
Potential as far as Enhanced Androgen ways of Being was likely impacted in some real physical way
being raised by a Household Dripping with Estrogen although it is true both my Grandmother and my
Sister were Androgynous too but my Mother had enough Estrogen to be voted as having the Best Figure
in both 11th and 12th Grade back in the 50's, heheR. Hmm, anyway, from remembering the text in this
Discussion; I remember Pepe asking how to get rid of his Reptilian Amygdala associated anxiety and while
I am not suggesting getting enrolled in a Martial Arts Class at age 54; as i dam sure wasn't gonna do it approaching
3 months away from age 54 when i started doing this in March of 2014; i just experimented with what my body
per my Dragon/Shadow wanted to do to get unleashed released and tamed for zero anxiety with a grace of
Confidence in how my African American Friends walked in the mall. Side note: Social Science shows that
despite socio-economic ethnic demographic disadvantage; African American Men have the highest
overall levels of self-esteem of any Ethnic Group with factors cited per reptilian brain of confidence
in the ability to defend oneself along with the ability to reproduce successfully too. So even per
Science it appears as far as overall feelings of well being; it might not be such a great idea
to neglect the Dragon that and who is us that and who lives within as part of the
Triune of our mind and body balance. Interestingly enough too as Jordan
Peterson speaks to in the short video; 'real men' tend to develop a
Grace and Loving way that is much more sincere after they tame their
Dragon always ready 'just in case' in their back pocket of Free. I tend to agree
and to be clear, I had no idea this possibility existed for me in Epigenetic and Neuroplastic
Change until I just did it and started seeing my life change from head to toe and in emotional
regulation and sensory integration, then. Let's just say, I was bullied most of my life in verbal ways
and in non-verbal ways for i didn't have the Kind of Mind and Body Balance then that carries a countenance
of fearless grace. Now, generally speaking, if anyone comes close to me they say excuse me, my bad, and
get out of the way; keeping in mind that this is when i dance in very large bars with testosterone fueled males
competing for available females as that story goes too, each week. And it is true too, through 8600 miles of
Public Dance now approaching the 53 Month Mark; i used to get some ridicule before i started doing the
Martial Arts routine with that but now folks tend to keep their distance as i also do from them not to
scare any 'little old ladies' and the such as that. And back to the epigenetics and neuroplasticity from
head to toe as i still have the photo documentary evidence and the tale of the scale, i moved up
from 210 Lbs to what rather looks somewhat like a College Linebacker now at 240 Lbs but it is
true i do still have what shows on X-rays as Severe Degenerative Arthritis in my Spine
and Spinal Stenosis along with some of that in my knees of course and other joints
as that's what happens when a person gets older. The most amazing thing though
now that my Dragon is fully employed with the 'Chi' Force that is really real
and documented well for those who incorporate that Human Higher
State of Dragon Being; I can make any pain melt away with
the bio-feedback that has come from becoming
best Friends with the Shadow of Actual
Higher Potential as remember
'the so-called wild animals'
don't go to the Doctor or the Hospital;
if they survive they heal themselves to make the
next meal and reproductive mate a reality; still now.
Seriously, like any Straight A Kid who earned 3 College Degrees;
i used to sort of see my Athletic Friends as somewhat Inferior and thought i would
go much further 'cause of my Grades. Meanwhile, some of my other 'smart' peers
never actually left their families homes and are still living in those homes now that their
families have 'moved on'. And true too, I didn't actually leave the Maternal Nest for Good until i got
married close to my 30's too. It's
true what was missing
was the
Shadow;
the Dragon;
the eye of the Tiger;
more specifically; My Father.
Just a Suggestion from experience;
Smiles, don't discount your Dragon for it is true
that not all Fathers who stay and or Mothers have
become Best Friends with their Shadow Dragon alive now too.
Fear destroys all that is good in life including the experience of the
Comfort of a Being who can and will Freely Love with Grace and a Strong
Will of No to those who would otherwise dominate us into submission. Smiles;
even if the only target is as Leaf on a Tree; Kick to the Sky and Bring Your Dragon
(And don't bruise the Leaf like Bruce Lee)
Alive
Tamed
as Fearless Grace
and Willful Love; again;
just a suggestion with smiles
for it is true a Life without Fear is worth it to me, at least.
I Love Cats. so i call my Dragon Katzilla. My Wife's name is
Katrina and she living in very poor socio-economic circumstances
in a big family who all struggled for the only piece of bread on the plate
per do, developed her fiery Dragon at a very young age. And i guess my Grandmother
who dropped out of School to Pick Cotton to help raise her sisters after her Mother Died
at a very young age from Breast Cancer did the same thing. I remember her Hands; she really
had the Cotton Picking Hands of a Man; so rugged they were. True, Epigenetics and overall
Neuroplasticity for Positive and yes Negative adaptation to Environmental Struggle is amazing
almost Magical
and yes, Supernormal
Results for the change our
Human and overall Evolutionary
Still Nature in terms of Eye of the
Tiger and Heart of the Lion and overall Reason do Bring now.
Again; use it or lose it and exposing oneself to the Intermittent Gratification
that comes from struggle
seems
key
to me;
Hehe, and the overall consequence
is Young Woman smile more at me.
That Dragon and Shadow is a best friend now to me, now.
In Middle School the 'same types of women' named me skank.
Things
Change..;)

In my opinion, this Beta/Alpha male myth thingy
is not a way of being set in innate stone. Moreover;
Here's a couple more short videos by Jordan Peterson.
I don't agree with all of his ideas but he is doing a pretty
Good Job of Systemizing the More 'Fuzzy' Parts of Human Nature..:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZH0N9aECa0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAsR6DZTvS8

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2018, 3:55 pm

i'm an emotionalist constrained by life itself. life forces me to be more rational than I temperamentally am. an astrologer would say that Saturn [delays and setbacks] is governing my emotionalism/impulsivity.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2018, 7:17 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Obsession with anything, either being rational or as the case was maybe twenty or thirty years ago being macho, might be okay as a self-discipline device if a person is really failing themselves in a particular category but past that - when you know you either have the act down well or even too well for your psychological health, you'd want to back off of it and try to find your way back to balance. There are too many ways life can persuade you, quite rationally, that there's no point to being alive and that not existing even would be a better choice. One finds themselves in a strange place if reason is telling them to end their own life, or even that they have an obligation to honor suicide because they can't measure up to their peers for reasons beyond their control, and it's emotion and other intangible things too complex and powerful for analysis keeping them from following through.

Oy Vey! This discussion has taken a turn to the dark side...EEP! :skull:
Having said that, I welcome your contribution but I am a little baffled as to what inspired you to go down this path...

Perhaps it might be prudent to explain where I am coming from...
Despite the popular belief that we humans should march to the same drum beat, as someone who is on the autistic spectrum, I know this is unreasonable/fallacious...
As a member of a group which is considered by the more enlightened to be examples of ultimate individuality, I am simply defending freedom of choice and freedom of thought...

You say "...might be okay as a self-discipline device if a person is really failing themselves in a particular category "...
Failing by who's standards, btw?
My assumption in my contribution to this discussion is that a person is emotionally balanced, but I take your point.

From a rational point of view the shedding of "dead wood" and focusing on what is personally pertinent makes a great deal of sense to me.
I call this "cleaning the psychological attic"...
And here is the thinking behind what I have said:
When we are born no one truly knows our true potential so we are bombarded with generic memes and parental guidance philosophies...
As children we simply don't have the intellectual tools to critically appraise the indoctrination directed at us.
When adolescence occurs due to the development of reasoning centres of our brain reaching "critical mass", we begin to realise that not all of the childhood indoctrination is relevant to our particular situation and the shedding wisely and unwisely begins in depth from a more logical point of view no matter how very primitive...

For me in particular, you reach an age where you realise you are carrying considerable social expectational baggage...
For a woman who has reached menopause, the changing physiological conditions requires mental adjustment...
Or, for a much younger individual for example, the realisation that their sexual orientation is different to social expectations constitutes a need to reassess their life direction which involves the shedding of some aspects of the generic social blue print...

You said this: "when you know you either have the act down well or even too well for your psychological health, "
Could you give an example? Are you suggesting we need to lower our standards because others have limitations?
Once again, I believe you are considering those have not reached emotional integration...I.E. younger people

You said: "you'd want to back off of it and try to find your way back to balance."
Having a discipline in rational thinking enhances greater emotional balance I would have thought.
What context are you using? A younger developing individual?
I am actually considering the fine tuning of a more mature individual...I.E. me...and people like me... ;)

You said:"One finds themselves in a strange place if reason is telling them to end their own life, or even that they have an obligation to honor suicide because they can't measure up to their peers for reasons beyond their control, and it's emotion and other intangible things too complex and powerful for analysis keeping them from following through. "

Firstly the idea that an emotionally balanced mature rational person is denied the choice of existing or not existing is laughable...
There is no secondly...:P

Your focus seems to be on younger people, understood...
As a more mature person in age and philosophical development I realise the nonsense of neurotypical social expectation hamstring philosophical enlightenment. The concept of "measuring up" or "keeping up with the Joneses" is an absurd NT based concept which is a manifestation of their primitive roots where the human animal competed for status to gain greater mating rights, as would a stallion who defeats it's male rivals for genetic dominance in the heard...
Before I am vilified, let me state for the record that not all NTs embrace this mindset and most of the emotionalistic philosophies (religious/spiritual) would actively reject this principle...

But once again, EEP! Where are you taking this thread...And why? :skull: ;)
But to be clear, I value your contribution and other more eclectic and esoteric intellectual constructs...

I will end here because of the complexity of this post (and my exhaustion ;)) and will probably address the rest of your post some other time... :mrgreen:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2018, 7:31 pm

naturalplastic wrote:

So? So you are an emotionalist who is constrained by a price tag. You are still an emotionalist.

Oy vey...
I was actively/consciously avoiding saying this but money is not an issue for me...<sigh>

The jeep is an off road vehicle which doesn't have a particularly comfortable driving experience on bitumen roads.
I will not do off road travel through conscious choice...
It didn't have the amount of space in the back that I needed...
It reportedly has a problem with leaking...
The company which produces it has a very poor reputation for after sales warranty requirements here in Australia...

It had nothing to do with price...
It is "pretty", not practical... :wink:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2018, 7:34 pm

if I was less rational, i'd be in debt up to my eyeballs driving a luxury car instead of the SUV I inherited from my mom. I figure I can have all the luxe I want when I'm in heaven, it will make "lifestyles of the rich and famous" look like poverty.