Is homosexuality nature's way of reducing our population?

Page 1 of 5 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

acousticvalley
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Oct 2005, 6:33 pm

Last edited by acousticvalley on 09 Nov 2005, 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hecate
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2005, 6:56 pm

there is a high probabilty that this is why nature creates homosexuals. there is evidence (new scientist magazine, years ago) that there is a higher percentage of homosexuals in highly populated areas. also, there is an increased chance of someone being homosexual the more older siblings they have, although i have known gay people who are the eldest out of their siblings / an only child.

couples in stable homosexual relationships are also the perfect solution for children who, for one reason or another, are unable to live with their biological parent/s.

chamoisee
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2005, 8:18 pm

I have nothing against homosexuals, but your idea that they do not reproduce is erroneous, because they ofen do.

Just because someone is gay doesn't mean that they haven't tried the straight side of things, either becuase they weren't aware that they were gay, they were in denial, or were trying desperately to be straight to please those around them. I know of a number of gays and lesbians who have been married to the opposite sex, had kids, and eventually realized it wasn't going to work....

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2005, 9:05 pm

Stupidity is nature's way of reducing the population. Homosexuality is just a warning sign that human civilization is about to crash and burn. Maybe homosexuality in itself is wrong, mabe it isn't... but the "do whatever you want" attitude towards life that comes with homosexuality is going to cause no end of trouble for mankind.

animallover
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2005, 10:48 pm

Evolutionist that I am I've always thought the solution to the reason for homosexuality is easy - if you look at other primate populations they live in groups with one dominant male and a bunch of females - now, wouldn't it be useful to that dominant male primate if he could have a few other males around that would protect him and his harem, but he wouldn't need to worry about reproducing with his females?

The problem with this theory is that I don't know where lesbianism comes in - maybe just because there is a genetic roulette wheel that determines if someone is male or female . . .
But regardless I am sure that homosexuality is genetic - I know too many gay and lesbian people to think it is any kind of choice - most of them have given up their families because of their orientation . . .

thatrsdude
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2005, 7:12 am

Maybe that's how the dinosaurs died out. They all turned gay and wouldn't reproduce anymore.

acousticvalley
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Oct 2005, 7:27 am

Last edited by acousticvalley on 09 Nov 2005, 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2005, 12:51 pm

Sean wrote:
Stupidity is nature's way of reducing the population. Homosexuality is just a warning sign that human civilization is about to crash and burn. Maybe homosexuality in itself is wrong, mabe it isn't... but the "do whatever you want" attitude towards life that comes with homosexuality is going to cause no end of trouble for mankind.

Is that not a parallel to the Greek philosphy of Epicurianism? They were the people who believed that we should "eat, drink and party for tomorrow we shall die". I think that attitude of "I will do whatever I want and there's no way anyone can make me do otherwise" is dangerous for whoever is involved, not just homosexuals.

chamoisee
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2005, 7:05 pm

Quote:
I think whenever large amounts of people live densely, such as in cities, it creates new kinds of human behaviour, homosexuality being one of them.

If that were the case, gays would not be found among rural populations...but they are. I think it could be partly genetic and also partly related to the hormones in utero.

Fact of the matter is, homosexuality is found among animals (and yes, even in situations where members of the opposite sex are available).

Psychlone
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2005, 8:46 pm

Some conservatives would argue aids is God's way of reducing homosexuality.

(Please note I am not a conservative and do not prescribe to that view, so don't be offended. I'm just throwing it out there for discussions sake.)

Psychlone
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2005, 8:48 pm

Sean wrote:

The attitude is sound, so long as it doesn't violate the rights of others.

Mark
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Oct 2005, 9:20 pm

acousticvalley wrote:
I think it is a good thing there are homosexuals because it helps reduce the future population.

You could say the same thing about Aspies, given their reputation for dating skills. Heck, this is even an argument for more warfare (which does tend to result from resource pressure...)

Sean wrote:
but the "do whatever you want" attitude towards life that comes with homosexuality is going to cause no end of trouble for mankind

Last time I checked, this attitude was more prevalent amounst straights than gays. "Do whatever you want" often means getting beaten up if you are gay, which I suppose is consistent with what you've written...

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2005, 1:14 am

Mark wrote:
"Do whatever you want" often means getting beaten up if you are gay, which I suppose is consistent with what you've written...

Hey, I quit doing that about a decade ago...and it sure wasn't due to the school administration cracking down on it! :wink:

Mark
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Oct 2005, 4:24 am

Good grief - you'll be confessing to be a liberal next 8O

thatrsdude
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2005, 6:36 am

The reason we have homosexuals on this earth is the same reason we have people of all minortiy groups, including us aspies- to make the world a more interesting place. That's why there's people of all types everywhere, to make the world part of what it is. 'Different' people fill in the gaps of what 'normal' people can't provide to society.

eyeenteepee
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Oct 2005, 10:00 am

How about homosexual behaviour in species that aren't as widespread or dominant as our own?

Explain that through a single generalisation!