What would constitute evidence of hate crime?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Politicum
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Sep 2016, 1:19 pm

There is a problem with the definition, but besides semantics, how could there be concrete evidence? Just a spike in comparison to the same time a year prior? Or its differing between countries? In Scotland, which voted to remain in the EU referendum, there was no discernible increase, this despite having a parliament full of 'nationalists'... in the end everyone has a different interpretation, but I suppose as police (esp. in the states) feel they have a license to kill (or just watched Bond too much) some extremists elsewhere perceive whatever they want to, with referenda clearly impacting upon the mental state based on how an area votes. I think this was illustrated in the Stanford prison experiment.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2016, 1:15 am

A confession by the perpetrator?

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2016, 2:42 am

Dox47 wrote:
A confession by the perpetrator?

Or a multitude of credible witnesses.

wilburforce
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2016, 3:43 am

Sometimes they are "thoughtful" enough to leave a crazy hate-filled manifesto behind that explains why they targeted a particular group or population. Didn't Dylan Roof post on white supremacist websites before going into that black church and shooting members of the congregation?

(Note to Moderators: my warning number is wrong on my profile but apparently can't be fixed so I will note here that it is actually 2, not 3--the warning issued to me on Aug 20 2016 was a mistake but I've been told it can't be removed.)

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2016, 5:08 am

Yelling "DIE wh***y!" As you beat a white person to death as someone of another skin color, and that's the only reason you did it. Tangible evidence in the form of a paper trail and witnesses, are all a part of it too.

Stuff like that for the simple cases.

Sometimes though, there's no evidence, so you need to prosecute normally -- which should have the same punishment, really. Unjustified assault and battery is unjustified assault and battery no matter the reason.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

17 Sep 2016, 8:38 am

It's completely arbitrary which is the issue with hate crime legislation, feel good measures for liberals

Does anybody actually think it works as a deterrent or has any positive effect other than a warm feeling in your tum tum?

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2016, 9:25 am

Most violent crimes like murder aren't differentiated this way as far as the justice system is concerned. They all are hateful crimes.

The motive may be taken into consideration during sentencing, but the crime remains the same.

Once you start making special cases like terrorism, or race crimes there can be issues with due process.