Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Dec 2012, 11:53 am

He is brilliant.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2012, 12:43 pm

its important to note this may also affect autistics on all ends of the spectrum who were previously regarded 'unfit for work'.

Classic autistics on production lines and shopping centre aisles, coming soon courtesy of the Cameron cabinet.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2012, 12:50 pm

If a person can work without endangering themselves or others, then they should work to earn their living.

Just because a person has Autism, it should not automatically qualify them for a life on the public dole.

Of course, there are many severely handicapped people who should not be placed in a working environment -- those people deserve all the support they need, and at no expense to themselves or their relatives.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2012, 12:57 pm

Hitler called the mentally disabled "useless feeders",he sent them off to work,and then somewhere else.
Shades of Dickens,at least I am too plump to be a chimney sweep.
Welcome to the workhouse,history repeats itself.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2012, 12:58 pm

Fnord wrote:
If a person can work without endangering themselves or others, then they should work to earn their living.

Just because a person has Autism, it should not automatically qualify them for a life on the public dole.

All things being equal, I'd agree with you.

Unfortunately our job market is more and more gravitating towards the service sector, customer interaction and other areas which are based specifically around neurotypical based areas of skill. That means we're being marginalised at the workplace by being put in roles where we are unable to compete at an equal level.

I think even people on the high functioning end should be eligble for funding, or at least state funded assistance into work of the sustainable variety.
Fnord wrote:
Of course, there are many severely handicapped people who should not be placed in a working environment -- those people deserve all the support they need, and at no expense to themselves or their relatives.

I agree, and i'd argue that many of those would include some autistics. If not, most.

ColdEyesWarmHeart
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Dec 2012, 1:32 pm

Fnord wrote:

There was a Government-run company called Remploy which employed only disabled workers.
They closed it down last year.

So where are those people now who had some independence & purpose and a regular wage? Probably struggling to get benefits as hey, if you can hold down a job for several decades, you'll fail the medical assessment and be declared fit to work, so no disability benefits for you! The fact that you were able to work because you were in an environment that supported you with your needs is irrelevant.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2012, 1:34 pm

ColdEyesWarmHeart wrote:
Fnord wrote:

There was a Government-run company called Remploy which employed only disabled workers.

So where are those people now who had some independence & purpose and a regular wage? Probably struggling to get benefits as hey, if you can hold down a job for several decades, you'll fail the medical assessment and be declared fit to work, so no disability benefits for you! The fact that you were able to work because you were in an environment that supported you with your needs is irrelevant.

"Disabled" does not mean disabled from, ALL kinds of work. A person with no legs might not make a good postman, but he can sort the mail.

ruveyn

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2012, 1:37 pm

hmm and what if someone's disability prevents them from working or even being hired? I'd hope they can still get financial help.

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2012, 1:38 pm

ruveyn wrote:
ColdEyesWarmHeart wrote:
Fnord wrote:

"Disabled" does not mean disabled from, ALL kinds of work. A person with no legs might not make a good postman, but he can sort the mail.

ruveyn

Very true. For high functioning people on spectrum, factory work seems to be a good option.

You will reap what you've sown.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2012, 1:39 pm

theres different sorts of work and different sorts of disability.

I don't understand how you can expect an autistic to work as a salesman or as a call centre agent anymore than you can expect a wheelchair user to be a striker for Manchester United.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2012, 1:46 pm

abacacus wrote:

Very true. For high functioning people on spectrum, factory work seems to be a good option.

Hmm maybe for some....if they don't have sensory issues and can keep up with the work. I know I couldn't work in a factory all the noise and crap would cause me to be all spaced out and dysfunctional which could be dangerous and well makes it hard to actually work fast enough. But I guess the point is just because one high functioning aspie can do factory work does not mean they all can.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2012, 1:49 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
abacacus wrote:

Hmm maybe for some....if they don't have sensory issues and can keep up with the work. I know I couldn't work in a factory all the noise and crap would cause me to be all spaced out and dysfunctional which could be dangerous and well makes it hard to actually work fast enough. But I guess the point is just because one high functioning aspie can do factory work does not mean they all can.

Could you do piece work like sorting or stuffing envelopes quietly at home?

ruveyn

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2012, 1:49 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
abacacus wrote:

Factories tend to be extremely noisy and can have a lot of white noise in the background from the trundling of the conveyor belt to the general machine noise.

For someone with auditory sensory issues it is a one way ticket to meltdowns. I think its fairly easy to say where aspies can thrive- thats why i'm an adovocate of blue chip companies and creatively orientated business- programming, web development, video game development, arts, music etc.

Temple Grandin more or less said the same thing herself.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2012, 1:54 pm

ruveyn wrote:

Could you do piece work like sorting or stuffing envelopes quietly at home?

ruveyn

I imagine I could do that much more effectively than working in a factory....thing is not sure work like that pays a living wage. That sounds more like something to do for a little extra money not a way to make a living. However this thread is not about what kind of work I can or cannot do, I was just pointing out that sensory issues and slow processing of information could make factory work a bad idea for a high functioning aspie.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2012, 2:04 pm

most conventional workplaces are bad for aspies in one way or another. Whether its a nosy factory or a shop floor dealing with customers where you have to watch your airs and graces lest you offend someone.

This is the point i'm making about how autistics are marginalised at work and sort of ties in with my other thread about autistics in politics, and why we need to make a break from NT society. Its not just that we would be better leaders, its a civil rights issue at heart.