Explosion And Deaths At Ariana Grande Concert

Page 5 of 11 [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2017, 2:34 pm

androbot01 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
From what I gleaned from CNN, a great many injuries and deaths may have resulted from people fleeing as a mob in terror, trampling those unfortunates who fell of slipped to the floor.

I don't think that's correct Kraichgauer. I was watching CNN and they suggested the deaths were from the bomb. I heard nothing of anyone being trampled.

I may have just assumed there were deaths by trampling while watching CNN.
They say they now know the name of the suspect.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2017, 2:41 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
androbot01 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
From what I gleaned from CNN, a great many injuries and deaths may have resulted from people fleeing as a mob in terror, trampling those unfortunates who fell of slipped to the floor.

I don't think that's correct Kraichgauer. I was watching CNN and they suggested the deaths were from the bomb. I heard nothing of anyone being trampled.

I may have just assumed there were deaths by trampling while watching CNN.
They say they now know the name of the suspect.

It seems certain that people would have gotten injured in any rush for the exits. However, due to several recent instances of mass casualties from trampling, lots of venues have paid attention to the issue, and lots of research on the subject has been applied to designing exit routes to work well in case of a panic. The designers try to turn the predictability of herd behavior into an asset.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2017, 3:00 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
I don't think we have a statistical trend, such that we can legitimately call this "the new normal." All kinds of things kill more people than terrorism. If we need more screening and security at concerts, then we need more health screenings and better security in home bathrooms. Promoting the idea that parties are dangerous just helps the terrorists win.

I'm not arguing anything with 'new normal' or terrorism, my point lies solely with large groups being inherently risky. That predates terrorism, humanity itself for that matter. It's also the reason I avoid large groups, large cities as well since they have many of the same risks.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2017, 6:37 pm

I wish that Isis would just leave all the countries alone, especially Britain. Britain seems to be their favourite country to terrorize.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2017, 11:07 pm

"Dangerous Woman" Meets Dangerous Man

The pop star Ariana Grande has canceled the remaining dates of her "Dangerous Woman" tour following the murder of 22 fans (at the time of writing) and the injury of dozens more at her concert in Manchester. The Manchester Royal Infirmary reports that half the victims brought to the hospital overnight are children. The killer was a suicide bomber. Theresa May says the police believe they know his identity. The usual, predictable details will follow. [UPDATE: He's Salman Abedi, the Manchester-born son of Libyan refugees and another "known wolf".] ...

Carrying on in Germany, Angela Merkel pronounced the attack "incomprehensible". But she can't be that uncomprehending, can she? Our declared enemies are perfectly straightforward in their stated goals, and their actions are consistent with their words. They select their targets with some care. For a while, it was Europe's Jews, at a Brussels museum and a Toulouse school and a Copenhagen synagogue and a Paris kosher supermarket. But Continentals are, except for political photo-ops on Holocaust Memorial Day, relatively heartless about dead Jews, and wrote off such incidents as something to do with "Israeli settlements" and "occupation" and of no broader significance.

So they moved on to slaughter 49 gays in a nightclub in Orlando - the biggest mound of gay corpses ever piled up in American history and the worst terror attack on American soil since 9/11. But all the usual noisy LGBTQWERTY activists fell suddenly silent, as if they'd all gone back in the closet and curled up in the fetal position. And those Democrats who felt obliged to weigh in thought it was something to do with the need for gun control.

So they targeted provocative expressions of the infidel's abominable false religion, decapitating a French priest at Mass and mowing down pedestrians at a Berlin Christmas market. But post-Christian Europe takes Christianity less seriously than its enemies do, and so that too merited little more than a shrug and a pledge to carry on.

So they selected symbols of nationhood, like France's Bastille Day, Canada's Cenotaph, and the Mother of Parliaments in London. But taking seriously assaults on your own nation's symbols would require you to take your nation seriously, and most western citizens are disinclined to do so. As the great universal talismanic anthem of the age has it, "Imagine there's no countries/It's easy if you try..."

So the new Caliphate's believers figured out that what their enemy really likes is consumerism and pop music. Hence the attacks on the Champs-Élysées and the flagship Åhléns department store in Stockholm, and the bloodbath at the Eagles of Death Metal concert in Paris and now at Ariana Grande's "Dangerous Woman" tour....

Conversely, most other western citizens believe that, to invert Trotsky, if you're not interested in Islam, Islam won't be interested in you. Ariana Grande was eight at the time of 9/11, and most of her fans even younger. They have passed their entire sentient lives in the age of Islamic terror, yet somehow assume it's something compartmentalized and sealed off from them. "Dangerous Woman" is meant to be an attitude, nothing more - an edgy pose in a pop culture that lost any edge long ago; a great T-shirt, like the ones last night scavenged from the merchandising stands and used to bandage the wounded. It must come as a shock to realize there are those who take your ersatz provocations as the real thing, and are genuinely provoked by them....

But the arithmetic is not difficult: Poland and Hungary and Slovakia do not have Islamic terrorism because they have very little Islam. France and Germany and Belgium admit more and more Islam, and thus more and more terrorism. Yet the subject of immigration has been all but entirely absent from the current UK election campaign. Thirty years ago, in the interests of stopping IRA terrorism, the British state was not above preventing the internal movement within its borders of unconvicted, uncharged, unarrested Republican sympathizers seeking to take a ferry from Belfast to Liverpool. Today it declares it can do nothing to prevent the movement of large numbers of the Muslim world from thousands of miles away to the heart of the United Kingdom. It's just a fact of life - like being blown up when you go to a pop concert.

All of us have gotten things wrong since 9/11. But few of us have gotten things as disastrously wrong as May and Merkel and Hollande and an entire generation of European political leaders who insist that remorseless incremental Islamization is both unstoppable and manageable. It is neither - and, for the sake of the dead of last night's carnage and for those of the next one, it is necessary to face that honestly.

https://www.steynonline.com/7841/danger ... gerous-man

There Are Four Lights!

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2017, 1:39 am

androbot01 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

May have to wait for forensics to confirm this. On the youtube video there seemed to be a stampede

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2017, 1:51 am

Darmok wrote:
But the arithmetic is not difficult: Poland and Hungary and Slovakia do not have Islamic terrorism because they have very little Islam. France and Germany and Belgium admit more and more Islam, and thus more and more terrorism.

This seems to be the platform the right wing are trying to repackage their old racist views - protecting the population against terror by stopping immigration. It's certainly going to be more appealing but it's exactly what ISIS want in order to make western countries marginalise muslims leading to feelings of isolation and (what they aim) radicalisation of moderates. Therefore more recruits for their ranks...

Darmok wrote:
Yet the subject of immigration has been all but entirely absent from the current UK election campaign.

Wasn't that why Britain chose Brexit? lest we forget...Nigel Farage and co...

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2017, 2:54 am

Darmok wrote:
Yet the subject of immigration has been all but entirely absent from the current UK election campaign.

Then I think you are following a different election campaign to me, one where we don't keep hearing about the implementation of Brexit with control on immigration, where we are not being told companies will have to pay to employ an immigrant and where we are not continually being told how the Tories are going to push net migration down to tens of thousands

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2017, 7:45 am

Biscuitman wrote:
Darmok wrote:

Then I think you are following a different election campaign to me, one where we don't keep hearing about the implementation of Brexit with control on immigration, where we are not being told companies will have to pay to employ an immigrant and where we are not continually being told how the Tories are going to push net migration down to tens of thousands

I agree. Our country is obsessed with it. Everyone you speak to talks about immigration.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2017, 2:08 pm

Fox is saying officials are saying it was a "sleeper cell" and family members were in with Al-Qaeda. The attacker had spent 3 weeks before the bombing in Libya. Father was also involved, brother arrested. They have made more arrests. UK on highest alert because they think more attacks are imminent.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

Last edited by nurseangela on 24 May 2017, 3:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BAP_Buddy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 May 2017, 2:32 pm

They Went to Manchester Arena as Homeless Men. They Left as Heroes:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/24/worl ... .html?_r=0

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2017, 3:07 pm

They knew he was on the Watchlist! They knew he had just came back from Libya! WTH!

I say close the freaking borders! I'm tired of this crap of being politically correct. Screw that. This is the result.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2017, 3:30 pm

They just arrested a woman in connection with the bombing.

Darn, I flunked.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2017, 3:42 pm

nurseangela wrote:
They just arrested a woman in connection with the bombing.

I think the role and importance of women in these incidents -- terrorists' wives and mothers -- is much greater than people generally believe.

There Are Four Lights!

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2017, 3:54 pm

nurseangela wrote:
They knew he was on the Watchlist! They knew he had just came back from Libya! WTH!

He was British. If you close the borders then you are going to have a lot of angry British holidaymakers wanting their 2 weeks in Benidorm.