Claim system to translates sarcasm on social media

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2017, 1:45 am

System detects, translates sarcasm on social media

Quote:
Based on machine translation, the new system turns sarcastic sentences into honest (non-sarcastic) ones. It will, for example, turn a sarcastic sentence such as, "The new 'Fast and Furious' movie is awesome. #sarcasm" into the honest sentence, "The new Fast and Furious movie is terrible."

In order to teach the system to produce accurate interpretations, the researchers compiled a database of 3,000 sarcastic tweets that were tagged with #sarcasm, where each tweet was interpreted into a non-sarcastic expression by five human experts. In addition, the system was trained to identify words with strong sarcastic sentiments -- for example, the word "best" in the tweet, "best day ever" -- and to replace them with strong words that reveal the true meaning of the text. The system was examined by a number of (human) judges, who gave its interpretations high scores of fluency and adequacy, agreeing that in most cases it produced a semantically and linguistically correct sentence.

Automatic identification and analysis of sentiment in text is a very complex challenge being explored by many researchers around the world because of its commercial potential and scientific importance. Sentiment identification could be used in social, commercial, and other applications to improve communication between people and computers, and between social media users.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Shrapnel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2017, 2:13 am

Sarcasm detection is a fascinating subject.

Am I being sarcastic?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2017, 3:16 am

Probably...

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2017, 10:48 am

The ads on social media could be re-phrased, in literal language.

Last edited by friedmacguffins on 25 Jun 2017, 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2017, 11:18 am

Maybe in the future, I would not have conversations like this anymore on social media:

Friend: (something sarcastic)
Me: Are you being sarcastic?
Friend [sarcastically]: No.
Me: Then why would you think that ...
Friend: OMG I was just being sarcastic!
Me: ... Are you being sarcastic now?