Seattle Mayor wants Confederate and Lenin statue gone

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 2:15 am

Seattle Mayor Ed Murray calls for removal of Confederate monument, Lenin statue

Quote:
Seattle Mayor Ed Murray has called for both the monument to Confederate soldiers at Capitol Hill’s Lake View Cemetery and a statue of Vladimir Lenin in Fremont to be taken down, saying they represent “historic injustices” and are symbols of hate, racism and violence.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

xDominiel
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Aug 2017, 2:35 am

Good on him, I always wonder why communism that has killed more than any other ideology often seems to get a free pass.

Quote:
But it wasn't true communism!

And you'll never have "true" communism because human nature doesn't allow for it.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 6:01 am

I've never seen that Lenin statue. I've been to Lake View, but don't remember the Confederate monument.

Shrapnel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 6:26 am

EzraS wrote:
I've never seen that Lenin statue. I've been to Lake View, but don't remember the Confederate monument.

Soon no one ever will. Satisfied?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 8:04 am

How did an American city end up with a statue of Lenin in its park?

And how did a city in a state that was never part of the Confederacy end up with a "Confederate statue"?

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 8:07 am

naturalplastic wrote:

And how did a city in a state that was never part of the Confederacy end up with a "Confederate statue"?

I did wonder that myself... weird!

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 9:02 am

Shrapnel wrote:
EzraS wrote:

Who me? I never wanted it removed.

naturalplastic wrote:

Beats me. Seattle has a lot of odd stuff. Probably trying compete with Portland for weirdness.

There's a Russian restaurant inside Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas that has a giant headless Lenin statue with painted bird crap all over it.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 9:28 am

Both the Vegas, and Seattle, Lenin statues are probably a legacy of private American travelers snapping up Lenin statues from Russia in the early post Soviet era of circa 1990.

Back then an American sculptor even collected all of the then being discarded Lenin Busts and statue head across Russia (speaking of tearing down statues in a country), and then took of a blowtorch and chisel and hammer, and began to try to somehow meld all of the Lenin heads into one surreal sculpture. Trouble is that raising a hammer to Lenin's many heads "felt like assaulting a human being" and the project just got to be too emotionally stressfull for him to complete. Oh well. I guess there is still a big pile of his abandoned bronze, marble, glass, and cement, heads of Lenin piled up somewhere in the backwoods of Russia.

Shrapnel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 11:36 am

EzraS wrote:
Shrapnel wrote:
EzraS wrote:

Who me? I never wanted it removed.

Oh, sorry . . .

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 11:58 am

naturalplastic wrote:

List of monuments and memorials of the Confederate States of America

There are or were monuments, street and school names in Arizona, Washington, California, Idaho, Ohio, Wyoming, New York (3 streets in NYC), Brazil and Canada (the one there was just removed)

For Lincoln and some union generals the most important thing was preserving the union so in that spirit, he wanted as little punishment as possible and rebels welcomed back as Americans. In that spirit, Confederate soldiers have been viewed as American historical figures and Confederate soldiers as heroes in the vein of other wars. Blame for wrong causes has been usually ascribed to the politicians that sent them off to war.

There are many monuments to soldiers who fought in the Vietnam War. That war is commonly thought fought for the wrong cause if not a wholly evil enterprise. There have been no calls to take down commemorations to Vietnam War soldiers as far as I know.

Now the white nationalists and regressive left are reopening old wounds for political gain. The regressive left with the help of the white nationalists is winning handily at this time.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 20 Aug 2017, 4:30 pm, edited 9 times in total.

xDominiel
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Aug 2017, 12:15 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
and began to try to somehow meld all of the Lenin heads into one surreal sculpture. Trouble is that raising a hammer to Lenin's many heads "felt like assaulting a human being" and the project just got to be too emotionally stressfull for him to complete.

Damn, I'd love to see the result of that. :lol: