Page 1 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2017, 1:57 pm

New Mexico library shooting kills at least 2, wounds 4

Shooter kills one, wounds 7 at Tennessee church

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2017, 2:14 pm

Jeeze!

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2017, 3:17 pm

Intresting review about the church...

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2017, 6:42 pm

Sudanese immigrant arrested, FBI to launch civil rights investigation

Quote:
The suspect, 25-year-old Emanuel Kidega Samson, immigrated from Sudan two decades ago, police said. He's suspected of bringing two pistols and a mask to the predominantly white Burnette Chapel Church of Christ in Antioch, southeast of Nashville, before opening fire just after 11 a.m.

Metropolitan Nashville Police Department tweeted that Samson had been released from the hospital and will be charged with murder and attempted murder.

An usher, identified as Robert Engle, 22, confronted the gunman at one point and was pistol-whipped, causing "significant injury around his head," police added. They said Engle went to his own car, grabbed a pistol and headed back into the church.

Law enforcement confirmed Samson is a legal U.S. resident who immigrated from Sudan in 1996.

Police said that Burnette Chapel churchgoers recognized Samson as attending their church one to two years ago, but noted he hadn't attended services "in quite a while."

Hours before the shooting, a post on a Facebook page with the same name and description as Samson read: "Everything you've ever doubted or made to be believe as false, is real. & vice versa, B." Another post read, "Become the creator instead of what's created. What you say, goes."

A third post on Samson's page said: "You are more than what they told us."

16-year-old faces murder charges in New Mexico library shooting
Quote:
Authorities in Clovis, N.M., intend to file first-degree murder charges against a 16-year-old high school student accused of killing two and wounding four during a shooting rampage inside the city’s library.

Clovis Police said Tuesday that Nathaniel Jouett was armed with two handguns when he entered the facility about 4:15 p.m. Monday and killed two library employees: Wanda Walters, 61, and Kristina Carter, 48. Officials identified the wounded as Howard Jones, 53, Jessica Thron, 30, Alexis Molina, 20, and Noah Molina, 10.

All four remain hospitalized, with Thron and Alexis Molina the most seriously injured, officials said.

Jouett is being held in a juvenile detention center. During a news conference Tuesday, District Attorney Andrea Reeb said she will seek to prosecute him as an adult.

In addition to the two murder charges, which carry a maximum sentence of life in prison, Jouett faces four counts of assault with intent to commit violent felonies, four counts of aggravated battery with deadly weapon, and one count of child abuse, officials said.

The authorities have not disclosed a motive, although Clovis Police Chief Douglas Ford confirmed reports that Jouett was suspended from school Friday for fighting with other students. As part of their investigation, police are trying to determine whether the teen told others he was planning the attack, Ford said.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2017, 7:37 pm

First thing I wonder is whether psychiatric medication was being taken by the shooter.
I think I've heard multiple times that it eventually comes out most of this kind of shooter were on psych meds or recently had been.

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2017, 10:54 pm

Quote:
Police identified the suspect as Emanuel Kidega Samson, 25, and said in a statement that more charges were expected.

Suspect Charged With Murder in Mass Shooting at Tennessee Church

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2017, 11:05 pm

For those that don't pay for Washington Post, a local station for the New Mexico shooting.

16-year-old charged in Clovis library shooting

Quote:
LUBBOCK, Texas -
Residents in Clovis, New Mexico are trying to make sense of Monday's shooting spree in a city library that was reportedly carried out by 16-year-old Nathaniel Jouett.

Jouett is accused of walking into the Clovis-Carver Library armed with two handguns and murdering 61-year-old Wanda Walters and 48-year-old Kristina Carter. Walters was a circulation assistant at the library and Carter was a youth service librarian.

He's also accused of shooting four others; 10-year-old Noah Molina, his sister, 20-year-old Alexia Molina, 53-year-old Howard Jones, and 30-year-old Jessica Thron. All are listed in serious condition with the exception of Noah who is in stable condition.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2017, 11:18 pm

Another shooting in the US. Big surprise.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2017, 11:26 pm

that has to be a factor,
Pastor, family: Suspected Clovis shooter was overcoming drug addiction, abusive background
http://www.kob.com/albuquerque-news/clovis-shooter-identified-nathaniel-jouett/4589628/

Quote:
A source told Heavy.com that Jouett was suspended from school for fighting at a pep rally on the Friday before the shooting. That same person, who is a verifiable friend of Jouett’s, said that in recent times the suspect had been involved in drugs, primarily weed. The source said that she and Jouett’s girlfriend would “try to keep him out of trouble.”

http://heavy.com/news/2017/08/nathaniel-jouett-clovis-library-shooting-suspect/

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2017, 12:12 am

Police initially said the suspect was African-American. Later, police identified him as Sudanese with legal US residency.

Police jumping to conclusions as usual...

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2017, 12:16 am

cyberdad wrote:
Police initially said the suspect was African-American. Later, police identified him as Sudanese with legal US residency.

I dated a guy from South Africa, who is white and legally recognized as African American. Sudan is in Africa, so technically not wrong and yes, I understand some identify as Arab.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2017, 12:32 am

SH90 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

I dated a guy from South Africa, who is white and legally recognized as African American. Sudan is in Africa, so technically not wrong and yes, I understand some identify as Arab.

What it mean't is that they booked and processed him and then rushed to the media tripping over themselves that they have the suspect in custody but bungled the suspect's background. Quite clearly they have a problem with profiling even when they have the person in custody and could have questioned him first before splashing b****it on the media.

Last edited by cyberdad on 25 Sep 2017, 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2017, 12:35 am

cyberdad wrote:
What it mean't is that they booked and processed him and then rushed to the media and bungled the suspect's background. Quite clearly they have a problem with profiling even when they have the suspect in custody.

Hint, his race was on his identification.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2017, 3:27 am

cyberdad wrote:

In America, every black person is commonly called "African American".

It's equivalent to saying, "black", which is considered racist.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2017, 3:53 am

LoveNotHate wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

In America, every black person is commonly called "African American".

It's equivalent to saying, "black", which is considered racist.

I think that's what Cyberdad meant.

Your garden variety Black American person, whose ancestors were freed by Lincoln, and whose ancestors may have been in what is now the USA longer than a DAR person's (since colonial times) are now sometimes called "African American" instead of "Black", or "Negro" (or that other word that sounds like "Negro").

Trouble is that "African American" is a confusing term because it implies that you are a recent immigrant from the continent of Africa. Dave Mathews is a WASP White dude who was born in Africa. So technically he is "African American" in that sense.

A recent immigrant from a Black country in Africa (like the Congo) who is dark skinned would look like a garden variety American Black, so an American cop might mistake them for being "African American" in that sense, when in fact they are really "African American" in the OTHER sense (the born in Africa sense, and not in the "of long time Black American stock" sense).

Are you confused enough yet?

A recent immigrant from the Sudan? Well southern Sudanese tend to be Black in both complexion and in features like folks from the COngo, or other regions, were the enslaved ancestors of American Blacks were taken from. So if he came from the southern Sudan he might an "African American"(ie recent immigrant) who could be mistaken for an "African American" (garden variety American black person).

But if he came from the northern parts of Sudan he would probably be Arab looking, and not Black sub-Saharan African looking. So he would be "African American" in the "born in Africa" sense, but would classified as "White" (because brown middle eastern arabs are classed as Caucasian on the census forms) by the American government. But he would probably NOT be classified as "White" by most native born European descent White Americans.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2017, 5:09 am

...When John Kerry ran for President, his wife stepped in doo-doo this way. She is an immigrant to the US. She came from Mozambique. Mozambique was a Portugese colony, during the period of Europe taking almost all of Africa. Her parents were ethnically Portugese. She at least once referred to herself as African-American, getting some :roll: for that.
She is correct, of course, as regards where she came from as an immigrant to America. As far as " African-American " meaning " black ", an ethnically Sub-Saharan person goes, she of course is not.

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!