Senator Al Franken Apologizes for Groping a Woman in 2006

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2017, 2:51 pm

New York Times

Quote:
A growing national outcry over sexual harassment reached the Senate on Thursday, when a radio newscaster recounted being groped and kissed without her consent by Al Franken, Democrat of Minnesota, during a 2006 U.S.O. tour of the Middle East before he took public office.

Mr. Franken, who has been mentioned as a possible presidential candidate, almost immediately released an apology to the newscaster, Leeann Tweeden, who released a picture showing Mr. Franken groping her as she slept. Ms. Tweeden also described being forcibly kissed by Mr. Franken during a rehearsal for the show in which he was participating as a comedian.

The first thing I want to do is apologize: to Leeann, to everyone else who was part of that tour, to everyone who has worked for me, to everyone I represent, and to everyone who counts on me to be an ally and supporter and champion of women,” Mr. Franken wrote.

“I respect women. I don’t respect men who don’t,” he continued. “And the fact that my own actions have given people a good reason to doubt that makes me feel ashamed.”

The statement was significantly longer and more contrite than Mr. Franken’s initial response, which failed to quell the blowback that quickly consumed Capitol Hill.

Senators Mitch McConnell, Republican of Kentucky and Chuck Schumer, Democrat of New York, the Senate leaders, wasted no time before forwarding the matter to the Senate Ethics Committee — a move supported by Democrats, including Mr. Franken.

“As with all credible allegations of sexual harassment or assault, I believe the Ethics Committee should review the matter,” Mr. McConnell said in a statement. “I hope the Democratic leader will join me on this. Regardless of party, harassment and assault are completely unacceptable — in the workplace or anywhere else.”

Democrats gave Mr. Franken no quarter.

“This is unacceptable behavior and extremely disappointing. I am glad Al came out and apologized, but that doesn’t reverse what he’s done or end the matter. I support an ethics committee investigation into these accusations and I hope this latest example of the deep problems on this front spurs continued action to address it,” said Patty Murray of Washington, one of the most senior Democratic women in the Senate.

Ms. Tweeden published a first-person account of the incident on KABC Radio in Los Angeles on Thursday. She wrote that it occurred in December 2006, not long before Christmas, when she was a performer for the tour alongside Mr. Franken, then a well-known comedian.

She also presented evidence, including a photograph of Mr. Franken, his head turned toward the camera, with his hands placed over Ms. Tweeden’s breasts as she slept.

According to Ms. Tweeden’s account, Mr. Franken wrote a bawdy script that included a kiss for the two to perform onstage. When it came time to rehearse the skit, she wrote, Mr. Franken insisted on kissing despite her protestations.

“I immediately pushed him away with both of my hands against his chest and told him if he ever did that to me again I wouldn’t be so nice about it the next time,” Ms. Tweeden wrote. “I walked away. All I could think about was getting to a bathroom as fast as possible to rinse the taste of him out of my mouth.”

Ms. Tweeden said that no one else witnessed the kiss, and she did not tell the tour’s organizers. She said Mr. Franken retaliated against her with insults and, she learned after the trip ended, the compromising photograph.

Ms. Tweeden said the photograph was taken while she was asleep on a flight back to the United States from Afghanistan and that she saw it only later, after the trip ended.

“I felt violated all over again. Embarrassed. Belittled. Humiliated,” she wrote. “How dare anyone grab my breasts like this and think it’s funny?”

Ms. Tweeden wrote that she had been compelled to share the story after an on-air conversation with Representative Jackie Speier, Democrat of California, who has been a leading voice sounding alarms about sexual harassment on Capitol Hill in recent weeks.

Senator Claire McCaskill, a Missouri Democrat who has spoken publicly about being a victim of sexual harassment, said the behavior attributed to Mr. Franken was “completely unacceptable.”

Ms. McCaskill, like others, said the Ethics Committee should examine the issue.

“I believe her and if there is an ethics review then that should move forward, as well,” said Senator Tammy Duckworth, Democrat of Illinois.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2017, 3:54 pm

The statistics suggest that sexual assault is quite prevalent in the western world. It's not just a third world problem.
Even a socially progressive society such as Australia almost half of adult women have been likely groped or sexually assaulted
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victor ... b13a1c3206

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2017, 3:58 pm

Looks like they got a photo of it ....

bamsaidthelady
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Nov 2017, 5:14 pm

I think Franken's statement and response are laudable. He doesn't deny anything, he doesn't blame her, he doesn't give a horrible apology ("locker room talk"). He says that regardless of the intent or perception on his part, the other party's experience and opinion matter.

To be clear, I'm not saying he should be excused or that this should be taken lightly.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2017, 9:33 pm

damn, al 8O please let it not be so.

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2017, 10:08 pm

auntblabby wrote:

Does it bother you because you took a shine to his TV appearances or because of his political alignment?
This is my gripe with identity politics; it subscribes to the idea that an ideology and anyone/thing associated with it is inherently good by default.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2017, 10:14 pm

TheSpectrum wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Does it bother you because you took a shine to his TV appearances or because of his political alignment?
This is my gripe with identity politics; it subscribes to the idea that an ideology and anyone/thing associated with it is inherently good by default.

I thought he was one of the few decent men in there, only to find out that he, too, has feet of clay. but I will admit I expected better from my own party. I am more disillusioned by the day. :|

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2017, 10:22 pm

I looked up to Al Franken allot I am upset and kind of surprised to hear about this. But I like that it is being done, Sexual harassment and assault are such horrible problems in society and their needs to be some kind of purge in that area.

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2017, 10:25 pm

Shahunshah wrote:
I looked up to Al Franken allot I am upset and kind of surprised to hear about this. But I like that it is being done, Sexual harassment and assault are such horrible problems in society and their needs to be some kind of purge in that area.

Yeah it's been the elephant in the room for far too long.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2017, 1:01 am

bamsaidthelady wrote:
I think Franken's statement and response are laudable. He doesn't deny anything, he doesn't blame her, he doesn't give a horrible apology ("locker room talk"). He says that regardless of the intent or perception on his part, the other party's experience and opinion matter.

To be clear, I'm not saying he should be excused or that this should be taken lightly.

He can’t weasel out of it because the pictorial evidence is there.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2017, 1:03 am

I thought he was smarter than that.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2017, 3:20 am

LoveNotHate wrote:
Looks like they got a photo of it ....

The level of depravity seen in that photo is matched by the level of stupidity to think it was a good idea to pose for it. I don't know if he had a political career back then, but he sure sabotaged the future of it.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2017, 12:37 pm

The left-wing media won't allow this storm to continue much longer. They whipped up hysteria because they thought they could get Trump, or get lesser characters that would undermine Trump, and now the fire is burning their own people. It's the very same cycle that occurred years ago -- all kinds of things were terrible and bad until they found out Bill Clinton was doing them, and then those things became not so bad and not such a big deal after all.

Second accuser: Woman says Al Franken inappropriately touched her while he was a senator

A 33-year-old woman said Sen. Al Franken, D-Minn., touched her inappropriately while the two were taking a photo at the Minnesota State Fair in 2010, an accusation that comes days after a Los Angeles radio host said Franken groped her in 2006.

Lindsay Menz told CNN she met Franken at the Minnesota State Fair, where her father’s business was sponsoring a local radio booth. He had been elected to the Senate two years earlier.

When Menz’s husband prepared to take a photo of them, the woman said Franken “pulled me in really close, like awkward close, and as my husband took the picture, he put his hand full-fledged on my rear.”

“It was wrapped tightly around my butt cheek,” Menz said. “It wasn’t around my hip or side. It was definitely on my butt.”

Menz’s husband, Jeremy, told CNN that Franken “reached around her and kind of pulled her into him,” but he didn’t see the groping occur.

Menz told her husband about the interaction.

Jeremy Menz also told his mother-in-law what happened, saying, “Our senator just groped my wife right in front of me,” according to CNN.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/secon ... le/2641229

There Are Four Lights!

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2017, 12:45 pm

I'm for tazering all gropers regardless of their political affiliation.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2017, 1:01 pm

Misslizard wrote:

I sense a business opportunity here for you misslizard. A new type of undergarment, with an insulated inner layer and an electrified outer layer, and a firing button you can carry around in your pocket. You could make $millions, especially if you set up shop in Washington or Los Angeles.

There Are Four Lights!

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2017, 1:29 pm

Darmok wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

I sense a business opportunity here for you misslizard. A new type of undergarment, with an insulated inner layer and an electrified outer layer, and a firing button you can carry around in your pocket. You could make $millions, especially if you set up shop in Washington or Los Angeles.

The gropers do seem to be grouped in those locations.