The rush to blame autism after tragedies at schools

Page 3 of 8 [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2018, 11:55 pm

^^^
And yet he didn't seem interested in getting himself killed, as I understand it.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 1:05 am

Ummm sorry this narrative doesn't always play out the way we would like

An Aspie boy in my daughter's highschool has just been suspended for verbally and physically attacking girls in his grade year. The problem...the boy's victims are the only three girls on the spectrum in the grade year. Yesterday I found out one of them (unfortunately) was my daughter who was (luckily) only verbally attacked. The other two Aspie girls were physically attacked and one of the girls needed first aid after being punched violently.

I confronted her teacher and deputy principal and they have already put steps in to isolate/separate the boy from our kids when he comes back from suspension (they are diverting an aide to watch him)

This particular boy was frustrated about moving from another school and not fitting in. He was (according to the deputy principal) jealous of the aspie girls (for reasons only known to him) and lashed out violently targeting female Aspies.

Why did he target his own kind? according to the deputy principal - boys on the spectrum (her words) are prone to violently lashing out when they feel frustrated about changes in their lives they can't control. She's witnessed this in a number of boys.

I don't really know if I believe her (I know a couple of Aspie boys who play with my daughter who are passive although they get occasionally aggressive toward their parents but not other people) but now I have to live in uncertainty when this little terror returns and escapes the notice of his minders, gets angry again and puts my child at risk.

Sorry - but this experience has certainly changed my view of how autism manifests in (some) boys and how they externalize anxiety through aggression. It's quite plausible now how they could (if not checked) become serial killers

Again I question the narrative of the harmless Aspie boy

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 1:55 am

cyberdad wrote:
Ummm sorry this narrative doesn't always play out the way we would like

An Aspie boy in my daughter's highschool has just been suspended for verbally and physically attacking girls in his grade year. The problem...the boy's victims are the only three girls on the spectrum in the grade year. Yesterday I found out one of them (unfortunately) was my daughter who was (luckily) only verbally attacked. The other two Aspie girls were physically attacked and one of the girls needed first aid after being punched violently.

I confronted her teacher and deputy principal and they have already put steps in to isolate/separate the boy from our kids when he comes back from suspension (they are diverting an aide to watch him)

This particular boy was frustrated about moving from another school and not fitting in. He was (according to the deputy principal) jealous of the aspie girls (for reasons only known to him) and lashed out violently targeting female Aspies.

Why did he target his own kind? according to the deputy principal - boys on the spectrum (her words) are prone to violently lashing out when they feel frustrated about changes in their lives they can't control. She's witnessed this in a number of boys.

I don't really know if I believe her (I know a couple of Aspie boys who play with my daughter who are passive although they get occasionally aggressive toward their parents but not other people) but now I have to live in uncertainty when this little terror returns and escapes the notice of his minders, gets angry again and puts my child at risk.

Sorry - but this experience has certainly changed my view of how autism manifests in (some) boys and how they externalize anxiety through aggression. It's quite plausible now how they could (if not checked) become serial killers

Again I question the narrative of the harmless Aspie boy

Boys in general are more aggressive because of testosterone levels.
I was actually pretty passive as a little boy.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 2:01 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Boys in general are more aggressive because of testosterone levels.
I was actually pretty passive as a little boy.

It makes sense...testosterone + compulsive/aggresive behavior to alleviate anxiety

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 2:13 am

Tawaki wrote:
This man was adopted.
Had s**t time in school and expelled.
Mental health issues.
Not a whole lot of positive things going on in his life.
Dad dies.
Mom dies.

Probably figured his life is trashed, and why not take down a few mofos that made your life a living hell?

Now I'll get noticed. Now I'll get mentioned in social media. If I can't be famous, I'll be infamous. People will never forget who I am.

Honestly, he's no different from a suicide bomber. Your beef is with the universe, and if you're going to die, take some other people with you.

i appreciate the perspective.

yeah, i think the exposure and infamy is what drives a lot of people to commit violence, and why i'd like to see a change in the way we report similar tragedies from here on out. focus more on the victims. otherwise you get people like my own sister, who already have mental issues and idolize shooters and serial killers putting the rest of us on high alert, thinking..."just what does she plan to do?"

kid had a rough life to be sure, but the way i see it once you kill someone because of it, all sympathy vanishes.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 2:15 am

calling him a kid and he's only one year younger then me. what am i doing? :drunken:

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

eikonabridge
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 5:39 am

B19 wrote:
Please be willing to learn, not scapegoat.

It is quite ironic that most aspie people themselves are unwilling to learn and only want to scapegoat. They themselves consider autism as a disorder. They attribute all their problems to autism. The moment they do that, they are already scapegoating.

Autism is not a disorder. Autism is just how your brain is wired.

Sea turtles are fully independent from the day they break out of their egg shells. But we can't raise human babies the way we raise sea turtles.

Similarly, autistic children belong to a different (sub)species of humans. You can't raise autistic children the way you raise neurotypical children.

That's all. But it will take people another 40 years to learn the truth, in my estimate. Ha ha. People are just very slow at learning. See, it took the Church 350 years to finally apologize to Galileo. That's how slow it can be.

I think it is highly hypocritical to ask neurotypical people to learn and not to scapegoat, when aspies themselves don't even practice what they preach.

Sea turtles would not know how to raise human babies. Heck, even most aspie parents have no clue how to raise aspie babies, because they have NEVER seen an aspie baby raised correctly. Our society is infested with neurotypical-only approaches.

Perfectly fine babies are hence driven into insane adults by our mentally ill society. And the culprits never take responsibility and never need to go to jail.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 5:51 am

A disorder is created according to the current framework of the biomedical model based on subjective perception of what is considered not normal/functional

Those who make the aforementioned considerations are not surprisingly NT

eikonabridge
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 12:33 pm

eikonabridge wrote:
Autism is not a disorder. Autism is just how your brain is wired.

I struggled with finding an analogy for people to understand this point better. I think I have found one.

Autism and neurotypicality are like two different operating systems. You may excel at writing Windows application programs, but your programming skills may not carry over to a different operating system, like Linux. Your programs in Linux might be defective simply because you are not familiar with the Linux environment: you don't know the right tools, you don't know the right libraries, packages and routines.

You can't blame Linux system for being a defective operating system. The defect is in the application programmer, not in the operating system.

I surely know autistic adults with sensory/rigidity issues, intellectual disability, anxiety problems, irritability, ADHD, verbal and social shortcomings, etc. Some wear diapers. These people themselves, or their parents and teachers, would blame it all on autism. This is like blaming the operating system for the failures of the application programmers.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 1:36 pm

B19 wrote:
There is one glaring and disturbing fact that gets lost in the rush to blame autism: all the school shootings in the USA have been perpetrated by males.

Perhaps the observation that "men are motivated by status" is relevant.

A young, have-nothing male can get status with a school shooting.

karathraceandherspecialdestiny
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 2:00 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
B19 wrote:
There is one glaring and disturbing fact that gets lost in the rush to blame autism: all the school shootings in the USA have been perpetrated by males.

This makes so little sense to me, because right now the world is solidly focused on what a little scumbag the shooter is. How does that translate to status in his mind, to motivate him to do it in the first place? Did he not understand beforehand that people would respond to his actions with repudiation and revulsion? I find that hard to believe, unless he is maybe severely cognitively challenged to the extent that he has no idea at 19 years old that violent actions and murder bring condemnation from the public and do not confer social status.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 2:07 pm

karathraceandherspecialdestiny wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
B19 wrote:

This makes so little sense to me, because right now the world is solidly focused on what a little scumbag the shooter is. How does that translate to status in his mind, to motivate him to do it in the first place? Did he not understand beforehand that people would respond to his actions with repudiation and revulsion? I find that hard to believe, unless he is maybe severely cognitively challenged to the extent that he has no idea at 19 years old that violent actions and murder bring condemnation from the public and do not confer social status.

He bragged on youtube that he would become a "professional school shooter".

He wasn't going to be nobody anymore.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 2:37 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
B19 wrote:

Psychopaths live for the moment, and have no sense of the consequences of their actions. I don't see a non-psychopathic young male - autistic or not - having that mindset.

karathraceandherspecialdestiny
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 2:46 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
B19 wrote:

He must severely stupid then, because that's about the dumbest and most short-sited BS I've ever heard. Being infamous does not convey social status--status comes from being known and liked/respected, infamy comes from being known and despised.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2018, 8:07 am

Statement about the Parkland school shooting from Autism Speaks

Quote:
Autism Speaks extends its deepest condolences to the community of Parkland, Florida, after last week’s deadly shooting rampage. As investigators search for motives, media reports indicated that the gunman had been diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder. But an autism diagnosis does not explain this horrific act of violence. We know that speculation and misinformation about autism and other neurodevelopmental disabilities have hurtful and lasting consequences.

Many people with autism also have secondary health issues and, in some, that secondary condition can be a mental health condition. However, research shows that people on the autism spectrum do not have higher rates of criminal behavior than the general public. In fact, teens and adults with autism are more likely than average to be the victims of crime. Autism affects each person differently, and misconceptions can increase prejudice toward the vast majority who are peaceful and productive members of society. Together, we can increase understanding and acceptance of each person’s unique story – the challenges, interests, abilities and aspirations. This is a time to mourn with the Parkland community and to remember that words matter when discussing this heartbreaking loss of life and shattered sense of security.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2018, 9:03 am

Unlike Adam Lanza and Elliot Roger, this guy is going on trial and I have a feeling in this case the public will view autism being used as any kind of defense as BS.