Should Facebook be banned?
Yes 16%  16%  [ 7 ]
No 84%  84%  [ 36 ]
Total votes : 43

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2011, 6:35 pm

Facebook is just a communication mechanism - a means to an end. It can be used for good or ill. It's just a tool. The intentions of those that use the tool are more important than the tool itself.

LiberalJustice
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2011, 1:24 pm

johansen wrote:
those who give up freedom for security deserve neither.

This.

Adopted mother to a cat named Charlotte, and grandmother to 3 kittens.

techn0teen
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2011, 6:58 pm

In countries with very similar freedom of speech and freedom of press laws, I am shocked about the proposal of a ban of facebook. That's some totalitarian thinking. And 14% of people agree? We are screwed. Our civil liberties are being eroded away based on fear tactics.

For every bad thing that facebook, is being used for it does many other good things. I have used it for peaceful protest, charity events, and public meetings on discussing the current issues that need to be dealt with.

Here is an idea: Facebook has policies against groups, people, and events that are destructive in nature. And because the riots were on public domain and were available for all to see, law enforcement could have prevented it by either A) reporting it to facebook or B) ordering additional officers on duty knowing what was about to take place.

Why would we need to ban facebook to prevent violence? You can easily use facebook as a tool for preventing violence! Use some common sense people. Sheep have more of it.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

15 Aug 2011, 1:23 pm

techn0teen wrote:
In countries with very similar freedom of speech and freedom of press laws, I am shocked about the proposal of a ban of facebook. That's some totalitarian thinking. And 14% of people agree? We are screwed. Our civil liberties are being eroded away based on fear tactics.

For every bad thing that facebook, is being used for it does many other good things. I have used it for peaceful protest, charity events, and public meetings on discussing the current issues that need to be dealt with.

Here is an idea: Facebook has policies against groups, people, and events that are destructive in nature. And because the riots were on public domain and were available for all to see, law enforcement could have prevented it by either A) reporting it to facebook or B) ordering additional officers on duty knowing what was about to take place.

Why would we need to ban facebook to prevent violence? You can easily use facebook as a tool for preventing violence! Use some common sense people. Sheep have more of it.

ya I was really suprised that 14 percent agreed to banning facebook myself, yet none of those 14 percent had the nerve to post their opinion

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2011, 1:52 pm

No, Facebook should not be banned.

To organize riots and civil disobeidience,
folks will just use other social networking sites
like Twitter and Linked In to do so.

It would seem a bit hypocritical
to ban a means of communication
just to keep security in our communities.

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2011, 2:42 pm

Facebook arose after the worldwide reduction of nuclear weapons. Therefore, nuclear weapons are the only reasonable deterrent against Facebook.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

15 Aug 2011, 3:44 pm

shrox wrote:
Facebook arose after the worldwide reduction of nuclear weapons. Therefore, nuclear weapons are the only reasonable deterrent against Facebook.

good way to point out the faulty logic...but how do you nuke a website???

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2011, 6:16 pm

jojobean wrote:

An EMP, electromagnetic pulse. Set right over the server, you can make one from a Coke bottle and some dry ice.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2011, 9:17 pm

shrox wrote:
jojobean wrote:

An EMP, electromagnetic pulse. Set right over the server, you can make one from a Coke bottle and some dry ice.

crazy that can be done with dry ice...weird. I never thought dry ice could interfere with websites. although I could see how it could freeze wires though.

lets not give these anti-facebookers any ideas though.

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2011, 10:07 pm

jojobean wrote:
shrox wrote:
jojobean wrote:

crazy that can be done with dry ice...weird. I never thought dry ice could interfere with websites. although I could see how it could freeze wires though.

lets not give these anti-facebookers any ideas though.

Oh, it has nothing to with freezing! It uses rapidly expanding gases to make an electromagnetic pulse...I've said too much already!

Want4Rain
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Aug 2011, 11:17 am

There's a place for people who think FB should be banned or regulated by the government - China.