Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2012, 12:35 pm

Quote:

Daryl Hannah freed following arrest in pipeline protest
Entertainment Weekly, Associated Press,
Oct 7, 2012.

http://news-briefs.ew.com/2012/10/07/da ... e-protest/

" . . . Hannah and 78-year-old Eleanor Fairchild were arrested after blocking heavy equipment in an attempt to halt construction of the Keystone XL pipeline through Fairchild’s land. Fairchild was released on a personal recognizance bond.

"Hannah has long opposed TransCanada’s construction of the $7 billion pipeline, which is designed to transport heavy tar-sands crude oil from Alberta, Canada, to Texas’ Gulf Coast refineries. . . "

Civil disobedience is serious business. I hope Daryl has both legal backup and emotional support.

And remember, Daryl is most probably one of us! :D

In a previous article, she said she's Aspie.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2012, 1:06 pm

I don't like Keystone Pipeline any more than anyone else, but standing in front of or interfering with heavy equipment with the intention of blocking its use is just plain stupid.

It's a good way to get yourself killed or permanently maimed.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2012, 2:51 pm

We need the oil. I don't have a problem with the project.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2012, 3:22 pm

That oil will be going on the international market as all oil does. It's not like we're going to get a "first dibs" or a special discount on it.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2012, 5:49 pm

eric76 wrote:
I don't like Keystone Pipeline any more than anyone else, but standing in front of or interfering with heavy equipment with the intention of blocking its use is just plain stupid.

It's a good way to get yourself killed or permanently maimed.

I kind of agree. Civil disobedience is serious, scary business. Among other things, you are counting on the equipment operator being a decent individual in a decent mindset. And not someone who takes it personally.

Of course, one nonviolent tactic is to serve lemonade and cookies (really!) to the workers, at the same time you are suing the company. Just make it very clear, including to yourself, that you do not hold it against the individual workers. But I'm not sure I'd have either the Zen centerness or the Christian forgiveness to do this! :jester:

Last edited by AardvarkGoodSwimmer on 10 Oct 2012, 9:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2012, 5:51 pm

The beginning of this video, it does seem dangerous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKqs7Fc45XM

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKqs7Fc45XM[/youtube]

This video also includes Eleanor Fairchild talking.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2012, 6:06 pm

I guess eminent domain is necessary for highways, pipelines, and a number of other features of modern life.

But . . . it's all how you do it. And in this case, it seems like it wasn't done very well, or very respectfully.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=en ... WzB18&NR=1

and also, as Eleanor is quoted in the above news story:

Quote:

‘ . . . Fairchild complained to the newspaper about the “pushy, bullying” tactics used by TransCanada to take her land by eminent domain. She said she never signed a land agreement with the company.

‘“I don’t think there is an even playing field for the landowners and the pipeline company,” she told the Telegraph. “Most people can’t fight these big companies so they take what they want.”

‘When given the opportunity to go home and avoid arrest, Fairchild said she did not want to abandon her friend, Hannah.

‘“I am not a pro at protesting, but I think it makes more of a statement to be arrested,” she told the newspaper. “They need to know landowners like me are being trampled.”’

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2012, 12:54 am

AardvarkGoodSwimmer wrote:
Quote:

Oct 7, 2012.

" . . . Hannah and 78-year-old Eleanor Fairchild were arrested after blocking heavy equipment in an attempt to halt construction of the Keystone XL pipeline through Fairchild’s land. Fairchild was released on a personal recognizance bond.

"Hannah has long opposed TransCanada’s construction of the $7 billion pipeline, which is designed to transport heavy tar-sands crude oil from Alberta, Canada, to Texas’ Gulf Coast refineries. . . "

Civil disobedience is serious business. I hope Daryl has both legal backup and emotional support.

She certainly is. She had been diagnosed as a child with what they used to term "borderline autism."

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2012, 1:36 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
AardvarkGoodSwimmer wrote:
Quote:

Oct 7, 2012.

She certainly is. She had been diagnosed as a child with what they used to term "borderline autism."

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

I read at IMDB that she was diagnosed as a child because she was shy. I took that as a misdiagnoses so it made me skeptical if they diagnosed her for that reason. Even if they did, it turned out they were correct and what a coincidence. Just imagine being diagnosed with autism over a bogus reason and the diagnoses turned out to be correct.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.