Anonymous Declares War on U.S. Government

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2012, 7:57 pm

The hacktivist collective, Anonymous, has declared war on the United States government urging all Americans to join in this war. The lamestream media has not been reporting any of this. Is it time that we secure our computers so that we are not collateral damage?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAaCZWQndqA[/youtube]

Those of us who work on computers may see a job opportunity or two from this :-)

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2012, 8:09 pm

interesting

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2012, 1:09 am

I'm going to wait and see on this one. Messages claiming to be from Anonymous are nothing new

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2012, 1:33 am

What needs to be worried about with Anonymous are EMPs. Do they have the technology to cripple the power grid? They could.

Declension
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2012, 2:02 am

This is going to be the most one-sided battle since the Charge of the Light Brigade.

The most powerful organisation in the history of the world versus pretentious teenagers with DDoS scripts! Place yer bets, folks!

Sokar
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Feb 2012, 2:57 am

While the sentiment might be accurate, to an extent, I call hoax on this one. This video doesn't follow the pattern of other Anonymous videos, "Operation V" is incredibly uninspired and juvenile (and no, Anonymous isn't a bunch of script kiddies), and the quote at the end "We are Legion, We are American" is, to my knowledge, completely wrong.

Anyone can post a video and claim it is a message from Anonymous, and that is perhaps the most important thing you need to know. I haven't followed too closely, so it might already be happening for all I know, but it surprises me that the "enemies of Anonymous" haven't engaged in a campaign of sophisticated hoaxes designed to undermine their support by "staying on message" but gradually introducing more and more calls for violence. The strength of Anonymous is their anonymity, but that is also their Achilles Heel. An enterprising FBI agent could easily make a series of videos culminating in a call for a modern-day Gunpowder Plot, bombing the US Congress. Such a call would, if they could get away with it, legally justify declaring Anonymous a terrorist organisation and, at the same time, turn a lot of supporters against them.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2012, 2:59 am

At least one part of the media is already reporting on it.

Glenn Beck, suggests that billionaires on the far left may be financing part of the effort.

http://www.glennbeck.com/2012/02/28/anonymous-declares-war/

Some evidence that the National Security Agency is really concerned about potential destructive efforts by the organization, although "anonymous", responded that the government was fear mongering.

Interstingly, publishe before the latest threat was issued.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2400493,00.aspw.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2400493,00.asp

The Beauty of the word "anonymous"; anyone can be accused, but it is difficult to hold anyone responsible, and it is also difficult to prove anyone innocent as well.

The effort might not of been well thought out. It's not likely going to result in any additional freedoms or liberties on the internet, for folks in the US. It could provide an opposite result, if deemed necessary by the government.

The latest video, no matter what the source is, pushes the envelope; the folks behind the effort likely don't have a full idea of the resources the government has to deal with cyberthreats. This may warrant an eventual response, that isn't a good one for the folks responsible, and others as well, that might not be directly involved with the effort.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2012, 3:02 am

Declension wrote:
This is going to be the most one-sided battle since the Charge of the Light Brigade.

The most powerful organisation in the history of the world versus pretentious teenagers with DDoS scripts! Place yer bets, folks!

I disagree with the notion that the U.S government alone is the most powerful organization in the history of the world.

Declension
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2012, 3:07 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
I disagree with the notion that the U.S government alone is the most powerful organization in the history of the world.

What are the other candidates?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2012, 3:12 am

Declension wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

What are the other candidates?

Well first off does the U.S government work alone? Don't think so, what about the people who pay them to say what the people want while focusing more on power and money then actually running a f*cking nation. So for the time being yes that mess is quite powerful but its only going to last so long the way things are going in my opinion.

And other then that i just find claims like (insert noun) is the most (insert adjective)in the history of the world, typically are a little bit exaggerated or impossible to prove with 100% accuracy.

Declension
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2012, 3:18 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Well first off does the U.S government work alone? Don't think so, what about the people who pay them to say what the people want while focusing more on power and money then actually running a f*cking nation.

It's true that high-ranking members of the U.S. government have "understandings" with certain corporations. However, it is actually the government who has the power, and not the corporations. The corporations are seeking to influence the most powerful organisation in the history of the world. That's what you'd expect! If I was the most powerful person in the world, wouldn't you want to influence me?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2012, 3:23 am

Declension wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Well first off does the U.S government work alone? Don't think so, what about the people who pay them to say what the people want while focusing more on power and money then actually running a f*cking nation.

It's true that high-ranking members of the U.S. government have "understandings" with certain corporations. However, it is actually the government who has the power, and not the corporations. The corporations are seeking to influence the most powerful organisation in the history of the world. That's what you'd expect! If I was the most powerful person in the world, wouldn't you want to influence me?

I would not be so sure it is the government with majority of power, because they depend on these corporations to keep their power and influence.....its become quite a twisted, dirty game indeed.

Also if that was the case, how the hell would i influence you?.......I hardly have any money and isn't that what they use to 'influence' the government? I am pretty sure the most powerful person in the world would not be intrested in 500 dollars when they probably have $5,000,000,000,000,000 ect. already.

Declension
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2012, 3:29 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
I would not be so sure it is the government with majority of power, because they depend on these corporations to keep their power and influence.....its become quite a twisted, dirty game indeed.

At the end of the day, the U.S. government has 8,000 nuclear warheads. Corporations have zero nuclear warheads. (Although maybe the Artist Formerly Known as Academi, formerly known as Xe, formerly known as Blackwater, will get some soon! :? )

Last edited by Declension on 29 Feb 2012, 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sokar

29 Feb 2012, 3:31 am

Declension wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

That's a sadly naive way of looking at the way the US "democracy" works.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2012, 3:49 am

After seeing this thread I did a google search for the topic and Glenn Beck's site came up near the top; that was almost all I needed to know that this message is probably a hoax, that Beck takes it seriously, since nobody else does. Some of the content of the video sounds very un-anonymous like; possibly contrived to provide talking points for right wing media pundits... like Beck

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2012, 5:15 am

Sokar wrote:
While the sentiment might be accurate, to an extent, I call hoax on this one. This video doesn't follow the pattern of other Anonymous videos, "Operation V" is incredibly uninspired and juvenile (and no, Anonymous isn't a bunch of script kiddies), and the quote at the end "We are Legion, We are American" is, to my knowledge, completely wrong.

Anyone can post a video and claim it is a message from Anonymous, and that is perhaps the most important thing you need to know. I haven't followed too closely, so it might already be happening for all I know, but it surprises me that the "enemies of Anonymous" haven't engaged in a campaign of sophisticated hoaxes designed to undermine their support by "staying on message" but gradually introducing more and more calls for violence. The strength of Anonymous is their anonymity, but that is also their Achilles Heel. An enterprising FBI agent could easily make a series of videos culminating in a call for a modern-day Gunpowder Plot, bombing the US Congress. Such a call would, if they could get away with it, legally justify declaring Anonymous a terrorist organisation and, at the same time, turn a lot of supporters against them.

The individual that is probably benefitting most from the effort, so far, is Glenn Beck.

He has continued a series of coverage of "anonymous", that is perfect for his normal theme of conspiracy theories, to keep a segment of the population watching.

It is likely that more people, in the general public, know more about anonymous through glenn beck, than any other source at this point in time. Anonymous has already responded by comment against Glenn Beck's coverage, that they didn't agree with his coverage on anonymous, from a previous show dating back to last year.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/chrismenning/anonymous-open-letter-to-glenn-beck

Beck has several million die hard followers, with several more million die hard friends that the followers can spread the news to.

And he is shaping the organization, in whatever way he sees fit. Nothing they can really do about it, because they are "anonymous", and Glenn Beck is a multi-millionaire.

The call to arms thing, was perfect for the Glenn Beck show, matching previous hard right wing rhetoric, concern of government imprisoning citizens, etc., of the last few years, along with talk of Paul Revere, revolution, etc, from Beck. Never a specific declaration of war, though. Whomever did this latest version, created a production that falls right into his lap.

If whomever did this was seeking an attention thrill, they worked it, where it would fit in perfectly with the Glenn Beck show, to get that attention.

It is impossible to form a real grass roots movement, with the process the group is using. No matter whom did this, "an anarchist group declaring war on the US government", is what people are going to remember about "anonymous" with a "mask" for some time to come.

And, the government will take action, because there are too many lone wolf nuts out there with arms, that are waiting for a signal from the "powers that be", to motivate an action that could result in harm to innocent citizens.

People will probably copycat this stuff for some time now, to get attention; they may end up with attention they don't want.

Meanwhile, Glenn Beck, gets a little bit richer.

We have freedom of speech in the country. One cannot hide behind a mask, and expect a message to gain consistent support, nor even expect to be able to provide a consistent message, with this method.

Google, Wiki, the Tea Party, and the occupy wall street groups have made solid statements to voice their dissent on government initiatives. Those names though have solid support, and specific definitions of what they support, within their niches, throughout the country.

Anonymous is now associated with Glenn Beck, who as we know, has solid support as well, in his particular niche across the country. It's a bit ironic. Two Hundred plus people responded to the anonymous video on you tube. Millions got their exposure off of the Glenn Beck show, along with the chalkboard prop, as well.

The FBI couldn't have done a better job to discredit the movement, than Glenn Beck. And/or whomever made the last video.