"Did Fracking Cause a 4.0 Magnitude Earthquake...?"

Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

aspiegirl2
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2012, 3:33 am

The title just makes me laugh lol (thanks Battlestar Galactica!). In all seriousness, I don't know much about the real fracking, except that it's used to make cracks in rocks for oil drilling (definition, from Wikipedia, which got it from some other source that I don't know: Fracking: Hydraulic fracturing (called "frac jobs" or "frac'ing" or "fracking" in the industry) is a process that results in the creation of fractures in rocks, the goal of which is to increase the output of a well). Here's the article if you'd like to read more into it: Did Fracking Cause a 4.0 Magnitude Earthquake in Eastern Ohio on Saturday?

I'm 24 years old and live in WA State. I was diagnosed with Asperger's at 9. I received a BS in Psychology in 2011 and I intend to help people with Autistic Spectrum Disorders, either through research, application, or both. On the ?Pursuit of Aspieness?.

Keeno
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2012, 8:53 am

Fracking hell.

Simmian7
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2012, 12:05 pm

a 4.0 earthquake in Ohio? i don't think so. i think one state over...Michigan...i would've felt it...or the aftershocks.

heck...when there was one in Illinois i felt it!

It's like someone's calling out to me. Writing it all down...it's like I'm calling back to them.
(quote from August Rush; but used as a reference to my writing)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
My ASD AQ score is 42
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
#DemandCartoonDiversity

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2012, 12:11 pm

4.0 in Ohio

Quote:
McDONALD, Ohio (AP) — Officials said Saturday they believe the latest earthquake activity in northeast Ohio is related to the injection of wastewater into the ground near a fault line, creating enough pressure to cause seismic activity.

The brine wastewater comes from drilling operations that use the so-called fracking process to extract gas from underground shale. But Ohio Department of Natural Resources Director Jim Zehringer said during a news teleconference that fracking is not causing the quakes.

MMM HMMM

some atheist to stick: "You're like me!"

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2012, 2:08 pm

I suppose an earthquake could happen if nuclear charges are used instead of dynamite.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2012, 6:40 pm

Not just 'No', but frack no!

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2012, 6:58 pm

You need bigger, natural fractures in rocks to generate an earthquake of that size. There are faults all over North America. They are normally dormant except for the west coast and a couple other spots, but any one of them can generate an earthquake if the movement of other faults puts enough pressure on them.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

techn0teen
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2012, 8:38 pm

While fracking has been directly linked to increased seismic activity, I am not sure in this case. Usually, they set off smaller earthquakes around 2.0-3.0s. I wouldn't trust the media too much in general. But there is a reason fracking has been banned in certain countries like France.

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2012, 5:09 pm

Geologists say Ohio quakes directly tied to fracking

Quote:
Recent earthquakes in Ohio and Oklahoma have been directly linked to deep wells used to dispose of liquid wastes for hydraulic fracturing or "fracking" of natural gas, according to geological experts.

Fracking is not a good idea.

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2012, 5:18 pm

Bombshell Report Links Water Contamination To Fracking For The First Time

Quote:
In a first, federal environment officials today scientifically linked underground water pollution with hydraulic fracturing, concluding that contaminants found in central Wyoming were likely caused by the gas drilling process.

Fracking is only good for the people whose pockets it lines.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2012, 10:10 am

I don't know about a magnitude 4.0 earthquake in Ohio...

...but from the Monongahela Valley, Frac Central, there are plenty of other things to hate about it.

Like that certain companies have a nasty habit of dumping used frac water in local streams. Like that there are few protections for surface owners, royalties are a joke, and forced pooling ought to be a crime (but isn't, according to the PA courts).

Like the fact that most of the drillers are out-of-state companies that bring in out-of-state workers and take the profits, guess where, out of state. This is referred to as a "colonial economy." We have seen this before, in the same place, in recent history. It left a hell of a mess. Google "Appalachian labor wars," "West Virginia mine wars," et cetera.

It's enough to cause a meltdown.

JWC
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2012, 10:14 am

snapcap wrote:

Quote:
In a first, federal environment officials today scientifically linked underground water pollution with hydraulic fracturing, concluding that contaminants found in central Wyoming were likely caused by the gas drilling process.

And the people who don't freeze to death because they can depend on natural gas heat in their homes.

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2012, 11:25 am

JWC wrote:
snapcap wrote:

Quote:

And the people who don't freeze to death because they can depend on natural gas heat in their homes.

Because they wouldn't get it any other way?

JWC
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2012, 11:28 am

snapcap wrote:
JWC wrote:
snapcap wrote:

Quote:

Why should they have to?

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2012, 12:14 pm

JWC wrote:
snapcap wrote:
JWC wrote:
snapcap wrote:

Quote:

Why should they have to?

Have to what?

JWC
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2012, 12:17 pm

snapcap wrote:
JWC wrote:
snapcap wrote:
JWC wrote:
snapcap wrote:

Quote:

Why should they have to?

Have to what?

Get it another way.