Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2016, 5:14 pm

Chicago Tribune - Trump's racially tinged attacks on judge alarm legal experts

Quote:
U.S. District Judge Gonzalo Curiel, who is handling two class-action lawsuits against Trump University in San Diego, has emerged as a central target for Trump and his supporters in recent weeks. The enmity only escalated after Curiel ordered the release of embarrassing internal documents detailing predatory marketing practices at the for-profit educational venture; that case is set to go to trial after the November election.

Quote:
"I think it has to do with perhaps the fact that I'm very, very strong on the border," Trump said then. "Now, he is Hispanic, I believe. He is a very hostile judge to me."

I think this is going to get nastier as it progresses.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

03 Jun 2016, 11:38 pm

Already talked about extensively in Trump University thread

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2016, 9:36 am

I know ... that thread covers a lot of material. With this thread I was hoping to focus in on some issues:

1) Trump has threatened to take retributive action against Curiel, should he win the election. (See op link)
2) Trump has accused Curiel of bias based on his ethnicity. This has huge implications. If Curiel, an American of Hispanic heritage, is unable to fairly hear cases against bigots like Trump, then a female judge can't hear cases against men because she might be biased. A black judge can't hear against cases whites because he will be biased. Etc.
3) Curiel released documents relating to the Trump University case which has been terrible for Trump's image. If Trump does get elected and this case is going on it will be unfortunate as having a president who is defending a scam in court would be embarrassing for the U.S.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2016, 10:11 am

The Chicago Tribune is a biased paper from Judge Curiel's hometown

It's not about his ethnicity, it's his views and conduct. He is a member of La Raza which supports open borders and encourages illegal immigration, with his 'mistake' of releasing sensitive documents it should show you that Trump was completely right in questioning this judges professionalism in what is merely civil case/

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2016, 10:24 am

Jacoby wrote:
The Chicago Tribune is a biased paper from Judge Curiel's hometown

It's not about his ethnicity, it's his views and conduct. He is a member of La Raza which supports open borders and encourages illegal immigration, with his 'mistake' of releasing sensitive documents it should show you that Trump was completely right in questioning this judges professionalism in what is merely civil case/

From the article:

Quote:
Katrina Pierson, a spokeswoman for Trump, has expanded on the accusations of bias, wrongly suggesting Curiel is part of a group organizing protests at Trump rallies around California. Curiel is a member of the San Diego La Raza Lawyers Association, a professional group that she appeared to confuse with the National Council of La Raza, an advocacy group.

larazalawyers.net

www.nclr.org

This is a sad attempt to smear Curiel. Trump fights dirty.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2016, 10:34 am

La Raza has many affiliated groups, does Curiel believe in open borders and illegal immigration? Judgeship is a inherently political position and is often a stepping stone to high elected office.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2016, 10:48 am

Quote:
Deborah L. Rhode, a professor at Stanford Law School and the founding director of the university’s Center on Ethics, said that calls for Judge Curiel to step down from a case because of his Mexican roots were akin to saying that Thurgood Marshall, the first black Supreme Court justice, should never have been able to decide civil rights cases.

New York Times

The above article describes Curiel's history and work in law. I don't find anything to indicate that he wants to annex Mexico.

Trump just doesn't like his behaviour in the University case being exposed, he's trying to distract attention from his actions by lashing out in a tantrum.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2016, 10:54 am

The judge lashed out at Trump by releasing sensitive documents that he should not of, not very professional. Trump has no such responsibility. Where did I say he wanted to annex Mexico? Does he believe in open borders and illegal immigration? Mass amnesty?

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2016, 10:57 am

Jacoby wrote:
The judge lashed out at Trump by releasing sensitive documents that he should not of, not very professional. Trump has no such responsibility.

Maybe not, but it's Trump's actions that matter as he's running for POTUS. That he ran a scammy flim-flam operation is his own fault.

Quote:
Where did I say he wanted to annex Mexico? Does he believe in open borders and illegal immigration? Mass amnesty?

I don't know, does he?

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2016, 11:05 am

Lets see them substantiate anything. Everybody that wanted refunds and thought they were in over their head got them, the people who stayed to the end and failed at real estate either because they are stupid, the market collapsed, or they never had the capital to do it begin with is not Trump's fault. Nothing fraudulent about it, they can whine about University being in the name at one time but it was never represented as an accredited university, do you think all the Subway workers should sue for their graduation from Subway University meaning nothing? Trump can settle any time he wants as always.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2016, 11:58 am

Jacoby wrote:
Trump can settle any time he wants as always.

Regardless of the nature of the University, the bigger issue is Trump's reaction to the release of the documents. He takes it personally and threatens the judge. If the released documents are of no importance, why is so angry? I think this is a temperament issue. Trump knows the University deal makes him look cheap and in his anger at the revelation of this, he raises the issue of bias. But challenging the judiciary is not the best first move to make.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2016, 12:07 pm

androbot01 wrote:
Jacoby wrote:
Trump can settle any time he wants as always.

Regardless of the nature of the University, the bigger issue is Trump's reaction to the release of the documents. He takes it personally and threatens the judge. If the released documents are of no importance, why is so angry? I think this is a temperament issue. Trump knows the University deal makes him look cheap and in his anger at the revelation of this, he raises the issue of bias. But challenging the judiciary is not the best first move to make.

Now the bigger issue is his reaction?

The judge said releasing the documents was a 'mistake', do you honestly believe that? Also it's just one side of a story, these are how powered litigants out from political blood and nothing more and they've found a judge that will play ball with them. Lets see them prove it to a jury.

Also since we have this 'nothing to hide' mantra then why doesn't Hillary request that they DoJ release the FIVE draft indictments they made against her for Whitewater? She says she's a open book but is completely trying to stonewall an open FBI criminal investigation into her and he staff, she's the criminal and has a LONG rap sheet.

wowiexist
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2016, 12:17 pm

Obviously not everybody who wanted refunds got them, or there would be no need for the lawsuit.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2016, 12:31 pm

wowiexist wrote:
Obviously not everybody who wanted refunds got them, or there would be no need for the lawsuit.

Trump isn't responsible for bailing out failures, the people that were in over their head or weren't going to be able to use the information were offered refunds right away. It was seminar that people people paid for out of their own pockets I think, it was not a school in any sense except for a having a clever name for awhile for marketing purposes.

You can't go to a restaurant, eat the food, box the left overs, then ask for a refund. The original litigant was allowed to bail on the case for being such a bad plaintiff.

The reason there is a lawsuit is because there are some very powerful people that want to hurt Donald Trump any way they can and complicit media which is desperate to spin anything against him.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2016, 12:51 pm

Jacoby wrote:
...Also since we have this 'nothing to hide' mantra...

Do we? I think they both have lots to hide.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2016, 1:38 pm

androbot01 wrote:
Jacoby wrote:
...Also since we have this 'nothing to hide' mantra...

Do we? I think they both have lots to hide.

If this is the worst they have on Trump, not so bad.

The Clinton's have a literal graveyard in their closet