U.S man arrested for seizure inducing tweet..

Page 2 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

MushroomPrincess
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Mar 2017, 12:36 am

Jacoby wrote:
How can you even prove any of these images are what caused the seizure? Is it possible something else caused it?

It doesn't matter what caused the seizure. The important thing here is intent. Assault with a weapon is still a crime even if you miss.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2017, 2:23 am

Raptor wrote:
Dickish as the act was, arresting someone and possibly sending them up the river for 10 years for posting something on the internet sets a dangerous precedence.

Not if they can prove it was sent with mal intent, which, due to the man's own statements, they can.

Personally I would like to see those who harass, stalk, threaten, and in this case, assault via the internet prosecuted more often. Sending threatening messages via the internet is no different than sending threatening letters through the mail, or making threatening phone calls. There isn't much difference between someone sending unsolicited photos of their genitals, and someone exposing their genitals in person...except a woman would likely feel more threatened in person because of the possibility of rape, but the charge is lewd or lascivious behavior, and there is no reason that should not apply when one sends an unsolicited photo of their genitals online.

Sure it's difficult to actually physically assault someone online, but this guy found a way and should be prosecuted for it.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2017, 2:29 am

Jacoby wrote:
How can they determine that it was this person's image that caused the seizure specifically if there were other people doing the same?

Assault with a deadly weapon is an absolutely ridiculous charge

Not really because any thing that can be used as a weapon in a manner that can result in death meets the legal requirements for deadly weapon. If you intentionally flung peanut butter at someone you knew had a severe peanut butter allergy that could result in death, then you have used that peanut butter as a deadly weapon.

As for how they can determine that it was that person's image that caused the seizure, I imagine that will be discussed in court but I can think of a variety of ways personally.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2017, 2:31 am

Raptor wrote:
beneficii wrote:
I would say that sending an email to someone meant to induce a seizure, with the stated hope that the victin dies is a crime, at least a form of battery or assault.

Not about this particular case but about where it stops in terms of what we're going to call a prosecutable crime from here on. Someone on WP once accused me of triggering a grand mal seizure in them by something I posted that disagreed with them. It was an exaggeration, of course, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see a parallel...
The word "injury" gets misused.

Quote:
The "snowflake" comments here completely miss the point.

That was my comment.
Aint it a dandy? :D

Did you post it with the intent of triggering a grand mal seizure, or with the knowledge that doing so could cause them to have a grand mal seizure, and if so, did you send it to them specifically while knowing that?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2017, 9:19 pm

Raptor wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Amaltheia wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Yeah whatev...
Call me a obstructor of justice and a bully enabler and let's move on.

I don't want to call you anything.
I thought we were discussing the legal merits of the case.
I think it's valid. You obviously think otherwise — though I'm not sure why.

Amaltheia

I am offended by how insensitive to Raptor you are being!

Raptor obviously knows that he has lost the debate, and obviously realizes that he is 100 percent wrong!

But you refuse to "move on" ,and expect him to keep on engaging in normal conversation about the subject!

Can't you SEE that if we dont respect his wishes to "move on" that would force poor little Raptor to publicly admit the truth: that he is wrong! And admitting to that would damage Raptor's psyche so much that.. who knows?....he might even get a seizure! Thats because Raptor is WP's delicate special little snowflake, and needs to be constantly sheltered from normal conversation!

Jeeze!

The Rap is NEVER wrong. :shameonyou:

Tip of the day: Trolling is supposed to have a stinging effect and induce outrage from the intended victim, not amusement like this attempt has had on the intended target. :P

How did you arrive at the conclusion that I was trying to "troll"? And who is this "target" of my trolling?

You obviously painted yourself into a corner, and I was trying to protect your delicate self from inevitable ass kicking. Why else would you plead for everyone else to "move on"?

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2017, 9:43 pm

Chronos wrote:
Raptor wrote:
beneficii wrote:
I would say that sending an email to someone meant to induce a seizure, with the stated hope that the victin dies is a crime, at least a form of battery or assault.

Not about this particular case but about where it stops in terms of what we're going to call a prosecutable crime from here on. Someone on WP once accused me of triggering a grand mal seizure in them by something I posted that disagreed with them. It was an exaggeration, of course, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see a parallel...
The word "injury" gets misused.

Quote:
The "snowflake" comments here completely miss the point.

That was my comment.
Aint it a dandy? :D

Did you post it with the intent of triggering a grand mal seizure, or with the knowledge that doing so could cause them to have a grand mal seizure, and if so, did you send it to them specifically while knowing that?

With me, a hardhearted and evil conservative, there's no telling. We live to do harm, ya know...

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2017, 9:46 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Raptor wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Amaltheia wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Yeah whatev...

Amaltheia

Raptor obviously knows that he has lost the debate, and obviously realizes that he is 100 percent wrong!

But you refuse to "move on" ,and expect him to keep on engaging in normal conversation about the subject!

Can't you SEE that if we dont respect his wishes to "move on" that would force poor little Raptor to publicly admit the truth: that he is wrong! And admitting to that would damage Raptor's psyche so much that.. who knows?....he might even get a seizure! Thats because Raptor is WP's delicate special little snowflake, and needs to be constantly sheltered from normal conversation!

Jeeze!

The Rap is NEVER wrong. :shameonyou:

Tip of the day: Trolling is supposed to have a stinging effect and induce outrage from the intended victim, not amusement like this attempt has had on the intended target. :P

How did you arrive at the conclusion that I was trying to "troll"? And who is this "target" of my trolling?

You obviously painted yourself into a corner, and I was trying to protect your delicate self from inevitable ass kicking. Why else would you plead for everyone else to "move on"?

Wow!
You tried to protect a little snowflake like me for a cyber-asswhoopin'!
How noble of you.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 12:27 am

BaalChatzaf wrote:
Not everyone who sees a flashing light has a seizure.

It's something common for those with epilepsy, though. The lady who was my wife's Maid of Honor at our wedding has epilepsy, and she has had seizures induced by strobe lights.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 12:31 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Amaltheia wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Yeah whatev...

Amaltheia

Jeeze!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ! !! !! !

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2017, 1:39 am

Chronos wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Dickish as the act was, arresting someone and possibly sending them up the river for 10 years for posting something on the internet sets a dangerous precedence.

Not if they can prove it was sent with mal intent, which, due to the man's own statements, they can.

Personally I would like to see those who harass, stalk, threaten, and in this case, assault via the internet prosecuted more often. Sending threatening messages via the internet is no different than sending threatening letters through the mail, or making threatening phone calls. There isn't much difference between someone sending unsolicited photos of their genitals, and someone exposing their genitals in person...except a woman would likely feel more threatened in person because of the possibility of rape, but the charge is lewd or lascivious behavior, and there is no reason that should not apply when one sends an unsolicited photo of their genitals online.

Sure it's difficult to actually physically assault someone online, but this guy found a way and should be prosecuted for it.

Exactly the guy admits he intended to cause the seizure and hoped it caused the death of the victim, I don't see how it's different than having physically went and tracked down the victim to expose him to seizure inducing stimuli.

Also recently I got my debit card virtually stolen by some hacker on a game I play...sure I still physically had the card but they had hacked my account and got my debit information so for all intents and purposes it was stolen. I got my money back and a new card...but yeah trying to say this shouldn't be seen as a crime is like saying it shouldn't be a crime to steal from someone if you do it over the Internet.

I suppose the authorities should also ignore it if someone threatens a mass shooting or something like that as well...because to do anything would just be catering to 'special snowflakes' offended about things on the Internet according to some it would seem anyways.