Deadly violence at white nationalist demonstration

Page 2 of 12 [ 190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 10:26 am

Woman Killed in Charlottesville Was ‘Murdered While Protesting Hate’

Quote:
The young woman killed when James Alex Fields, Jr. drove a Dodge Challenger into a group of anti-racist protesters yesterday in Charlottesville, has been identified as 32-year-old Heather Heyer, of Virginia.

The crash left Heyer lying on the pavement alongside another victim, the Daily News reports. It’s not clear if she died at the scene or not.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 10:37 am

I wish I could say I was shocked by this, but it's the USA in a nutshell. With the accent on "nut" i.e. crazy person.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 12:13 pm

Raptor wrote:
With Charlottesville being somewhat progressive this comes as a surprise.

Yeah, but it seems that most progressives are only progressive when whatever is something that they're FOR----IOW, since they were AGAINST the statue remaining, nobody else could be FOR it.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 12:38 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
Raptor wrote:

Yeah, but it seems that most progressives are only progressive when whatever is something that they're FOR----IOW, since they were AGAINST the statue remaining, nobody else could be FOR it.

Keeping any statue up isn't worth a human life, and that's exactly what happened.
I don't recall anyone saying someone couldn't be for keeping the statues up, but the rest of us still have the right to call them out for it.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 1:05 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
Raptor wrote:

Yes, if you're for what they're against your a hater.
They also changed the name of Lee Park (the site of the statue) to Emancipation Park which is total BS. War monuments are actually protected by Virginia law but the snowflakes are finding ways around it.

What's next, Destroying UVA since it was founded by slave owner, then for good measure burn down Monticello? Maybe removing Lee's name from Washington and Lee University in Lexington. Oh wait, Washington owned slaves so his name has to be struck, too.
There's almost no limit to how far this insanity could go.

karathraceandherspecialdestiny
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 2:31 pm

Raptor wrote:
Campin_Cat wrote:
Raptor wrote:

They also changed the name of Lee Park (the site of the statue) to Emancipation Park which is total BS. War monuments are actually protected by Virginia law but the snowflakes are finding ways around it.

What's next, Destroying UVA since it was founded by slave owner, then for good measure burn down Monticello? Maybe removing Lee's name from Washington and Lee University in Lexington. Oh wait, Washington owned slaves so his name has to be struck, too.

Yeah, before you know it someone could be mowing people down with a car for saying being a Nazi is wrong and not wanting Nazis rallying in their town. The insanity sure can go far.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 3:52 pm

Raptor wrote:
Campin_Cat wrote:
Raptor wrote:

Yep, EXACTLY!! I especially agree with what you said about changing the park's name----nothing like propagating "White Guilt", at every turn; and, with what you said about goodness only knows how far this will go. I mean, the First Amendment is about Free Speech for ALL----NOT Free Speech, if we agree with you.

One of things that I found really interesting in the OP article, was where it said: "
Attendees and journalists at the scene had said that police were not intervening to break up many of the fights, which were shared on social media.". I find that really interesting, and am wondering if it was because the cops agreed with the "FOR Lee Monument" people.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 4:28 pm

Lee was a confederate, or in plain terms: a traitor to his country. Want proof: the confederate flag is not the U.S. flag, the only flag he swore to represent when he graduated West Point. There should be no monuments to traitors, and here we are 150 years later and there's so many traitor statues down south you'd think they'd actually won the war.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 5:01 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
nothing like propagating "White Guilt", at every turn;

The vast majority of those angry white men protesting the removal of Lee's statue had ancestors who arrived in America long after the civil war. Their apparent objections are based on a false sense of investment in a historic event that actually has nothing to do with them or their ancestors. If anything it's cultural appropriation but acceptable because they can masquerade as descendants of those who fought in the civil war

We have similar racists in Australia who invoke the Eureka stockade where miners protesting against the government issue of mining licenses to Chinese went on a riot against police killing a number of innocent people. The Eureka stockade became our Australian version of the US civil war and infact explains the sourthern cross on the Australian flag. Of course 99% of the angry white men who blazen the southern cross tattoos on their bodies are descended from what we call $2 poms or poor English migrants who arrived by boat to Australia in the 1950s and 1960s, the Eureka stockade took place in 1854. Again cultural appropriation used to bash minority groups in 2017

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 5:03 pm

Raptor wrote:
Campin_Cat wrote:
Raptor wrote:

If Heather Heyer was killed by a muslim we know where your cross hairs (To borrow the language of Sarah Palin) would be aimed...funny nothing to say about the innocent victim?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 5:23 pm

Heather Hayer was killed by a Nazi.

Alleged driver of car that plowed into Charlottesville crowd was a Nazi sympathizer, former teacher says

Quote:
The alleged driver, James Alex Fields Jr., a 20-year-old who travelled to Virginia from Ohio, had espoused extremist ideals at least since high school, according to Derek Weimer, a history teacher.

Weimer said that he taught Fields during his junior and senior years at Randall K. Cooper High School in Kentucky. In a class called “America’s Modern Wars,” Weimer recalled that Fields wrote a deeply researched paper about the Nazi military during World War II.

“It was obvious that he had this fascination with Nazism and a big idolatry of Adolf Hitler,” Weimer said. “He had white supremacist views. He really believed in that stuff.”

Fields’s research project into the Nazi military was well written, Weimer said, but it appeared to be a “big lovefest for the German military and the Waffen-SS.”

As a teacher, Weimer said he highlighted historical facts, not just opinion, in an unsuccessful attempt to steer Fields away from his infatuation with the Nazis.

“This was something that was growing in him,” Weimer said. “I admit I failed. I tried my best.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 5:26 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Campin_Cat wrote:
nothing like propagating "White Guilt", at every turn;

The vast majority of those angry white men protesting the removal of Lee's statue had ancestors who arrived in America long after the civil war. Their apparent objections are based on a false sense of investment in a historic event that actually has nothing to do with them or their ancestors. If anything it's cultural appropriation but acceptable because they can masquerade as descendants of those who fought in the civil war

We have similar racists in Australia who invoke the Eureka stockade where miners protesting against the government issue of mining licenses to Chinese went on a riot against police killing a number of innocent people. The Eureka stockade became our Australian version of the US civil war and infact explains the sourthern cross on the Australian flag. Of course 99% of the angry white men who blazen the southern cross tattoos on their bodies are descended from what we call $2 poms or poor English migrants who arrived by boat to Australia in the 1950s and 1960s, the Eureka stockade took place in 1854. Again cultural appropriation used to bash minority groups in 2017

Oh, but "cultural appropriation" is okay, for BLACKS? It would be cultural appropriation for them, as well, IMO, because NO black person, alive today, was alive during the slave era, we're discussing.

Voxish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Aug 2017, 5:41 pm

The clown in chief needs to make a proper condemnation of the animals claiming to be patriots...you know they guys who voted for him.

BBC: Radio 4

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 6:57 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
Oh, but "cultural appropriation" is okay, for BLACKS? It would be cultural appropriation for them, as well, IMO, because NO black person, alive today, was alive during the slave era, we're discussing.[/b][/color]

The significant difference are i) almost all Africans are descended from slaves and ii) they live with the legacy of slavery in terms of racial discrimination and iii) are forced into a classification (being called black) by their former slave owners

The angry white men marching in support General Lee's statue are i) are likely not descended from confederate soldiers who served under Lee and ii) they are the beneficiaries of white privilege and invoke historical events that they and their ancestors had nothing to do with (heck! a white foreigner can get off a plane in 2017 drive down to Charlottsville Virginia and put on denim overalls and one of those nazi helmets the protesters were wearing, drape themselves with a dixie flag and they'll be called a patriot). Being an "American patriot" much like being a "true blue Aussie" mean nothing nowadays other than skin color

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 7:00 pm

Voxish wrote:
The clown in chief needs to make a proper condemnation of the animals claiming to be patriots...you know they guys who voted for him.

Well, now..... How would you like it, if an American called your U.K's Prime Minister, "The Clown in Chief"?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 7:54 pm

This "white guilt," and "discrimination against whites" talk has gone from ridiculously pathetic to actually violently homicidal. We white men are on the top of the world; there is zero discrimination against us. And if you feel you have nothing to feel guilty about, then talk about white guilt shouldn't bother you. The simple fact of the matter is, the people who talk about the victimization of the white man has revealed themselves to be not those seeking to address wrongs, but are violent racist thugs who want to turn the clock back on civil rights. Do people who parrot that line of bullsh*t really want to be equated with that trash?