Deadly violence at white nationalist demonstration

Page 1 of 12 [ 190 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 2:19 pm

Eight injured after car plows into group of protesters at white nationalists' rally in Charlottesville

Quote:
Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe declared a state of emergency as bloody brawls between white nationalists and counter-protesters broke out at a major far-right rally in Charlottesville, Va., on Saturday.

At least eight injuries had already been reported before a vehicle hit a group of protesters on Saturday afternoon, prompting street medics to rush to the aid of several bloodied victims. State police described the incident as a “three-vehicle crash” and said they were investigating. The graphic footage was captured by witnesses on social media.

The day’s chaos first began as far-right groups gathered in the morning for one of their largest demonstrations in at least a decade, with some carrying Nazi and Confederate flags. Groups on the left and the right squared off with sticks and began throwing rocks and other projectiles as testy encounters turned into full street brawls involving dozens of people.

Officials soon declared the “Unite the Right” event an unlawful assembly and began making arrests, sending far-right leaders like white nationalist Richard Spencer fleeing as top Democratic and Republican officials — including President Trump — issued statements denouncing the event.
After criticism for his silence, Trump tweets against 'hate,' but doesn't mention KKK violence

“We ALL must be united & condemn all that hate stands for,” Trump said in a tweet. “There is no place for this kind of violence in America. Let’s come together as one!”

"The hate and bigotry witnessed in #Charlottesville does not reflect American values,” tweeted Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.). “I wholeheartedly oppose their actions.”

“The white nationalist demonstration in #Charlottesville is a reprehensible display of racism and hatred that has no place in our society,” tweeted U.S. Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.).

Far-right leaders were angered by the turn of events, particularly by local leaders’ decision to shut down the rally and use police to clear away attendees.

“Up until now, I’ve never had a feeling that my own government is cracking down on me,” a shirtless and damp-looking Spencer said in a livestream video after he escaped the scene, saying that anti-fascists had attacked him with pepper spray and that he was kicked by police officers holding shields.

In a tweet to his allies, Spencer added: “My recommendation: Disperse. Get out of Charlottesville city limits.”

In morning news footage, white nationalists in helmets, who were holding plastic shields, and anti-racism protesters carrying red banners could be seen skirmishing with each other on a city street, with someone spraying what appeared to be a crowd-control substance at the counter-protesters. Virginia state police said pepper spray was being released by crowd members.

Attendees and journalists at the scene had said that police were not intervening to break up many of the fights, which were shared on social media.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 12 Aug 2017, 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 4:17 pm

As of this writing, The Associated Press is reporting one dead and nineteen injured.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 4:57 pm

Why am I not surprised Richard Spencer was the first to run? And what happened to his shirt?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 5:42 pm

The death toll is now three

Your president couldn't bring himself to use the words "white supremacists" when describing the perpetrators but he blamed all sides including invoking Barak Obama?

Quite disgusting

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 5:47 pm

cyberdad wrote:

Your president couldn't bring himself to use the words "white supremacists" when describing the perpetrators but he blamed all sides including invoking Barak Obama?

Quite disgusting

I somehow doubt this would be happening without Trump's election. He rode in on their votes, and now they expect something in return.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 5:48 pm

Yes he has stoked these fires and he knows it...

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 5:50 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Yes he has stoked these fires and he knows it...

The thing with Trump is, he does or says something without even thinking there might be consequences.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 6:20 pm

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. (AP) —

Quote:
The Latest on the white nationalist rally being held in Charlottesville (all times local):

6:35 p.m.

Officials say the deaths of two people in a helicopter crash near Charlottesville, Virginia, have been linked to a violent white nationalist rally earlier in the day.

It was not immediately clear how the crash was connected to the rally. Corinne Geller, a Virginia State Police spokeswoman, says the pilot and a passenger were killed in the crash Saturday afternoon.

The crash happened just a few hours after a car plowed into a crowd of people peacefully protesting against the white nationalist rally. One person was killed and at least two dozen were hurt.

Charlottesville is in the cross hairs because the city council voted to take down a statue of Robert E. Lee. Last night there was a torch parade that also resulted in violence. We have a thread on WP about a second civil war. It seems in certain circles the first one never ended. Rightly, in my opinion, we ask the left to accept the results of the 2016 election it is right to ask people to accept what Robert. E. Lee accepted in 1865. If people do not like what the city of Charlottesville did they can replace the mayor and city council. Fat chance people will step back and use the electoral process, this is 2017, dream on ASPartOfMe.

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 12 Aug 2017, 6:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 6:30 pm

deluded...they not only live in the past but cling to the worst aspects of the slavery era

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 6:56 pm

I think I know how this fight started. Someone insulted their anime waifus.

That's the easiest way to make a Trumper angry.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 7:13 pm

I'm still waiting for deplorables to defend the murder of the counter-protester, or at least rationalize it.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 7:34 pm

DarthMetaKnight wrote:

What are you getting at? I don't see any links between anime and Trump supporters. Some Trumper may be anime fan, but they probably are a minority among Trumper, like in the rest of the population. Seem to me, from what I have seen on the Internet, that anime fan tend more to be liberal or libertarian; peoples that don't vote for someone like Trump.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 7:37 pm

Yeah just heard about this.

Pretty f***d up.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 7:43 pm

cyberdad wrote:

Quite disgusting

The article calls them "white nationalists" are you suggesting the article is wrong ?

The article says Trump said: “This has been going on for a long time in our country — not Donald Trump, not Barack Obama — it’s been going on for a long, long time. It has no place in America.”

So he doesn't blame Obama.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 7:44 pm

Tollorin wrote:
DarthMetaKnight wrote:

What are you getting at? I don't see any links between anime and Trump supporters. Some Trumper may be anime fan, but they probably are a minority among Trumper, like in the rest of the population. Seem to me, from what I have seen on the Internet, that anime fan tend more to be liberal or libertarian; peoples that don't vote for someone like Trump.

Its been a meme ever since Rick Wilson made this comment.

http://otakuusamagazine.com/LatestNews/News1/Donald-Trump-Supporters-Masturbate-to-Anime-says-R-7349.aspx

“the screamers and the crazy people on the alt-right as they call it, who love Donald Trump, who have plenty of Hitler iconography in their twitter icons, who think Donald Trump is the greatest thing. Oh, it’s something. But the fact of the matter is most of them are childless single men who masturbate to anime.”
- Rick Wilson

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 7:48 pm

As for violent protestors of any political persuasion, I'm against them and their protests.
Especially when they kill people.

I believe in people's right to free speech, free expression, and free assembly ...
regardless of whether or not I agree with the politics or the message ...
as long as it remains peaceful.