Why are Christian leaders siding with Trump?

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 1:48 pm

I don't think that all Christians are like this, but quite a few Christian leaders (especially American protestants) have been rather crazy lately.

I've noticed that American protestants generally love the Old Testament more than Jews do.

Lesson Learned: The people who say "New Atheism is over." are wrong.

Lots of people think that the "New Atheism" movement ended after Thunderf00t got booted from Freethought Blogs. In reality, it's not over. We still have a ton of work to do. Could we put aside all of this MRA drama until after the Trump presidency is over? That would be great.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 1:55 pm

DarthMetaKnight wrote:
I've noticed that American protestants generally love the Old Testament more than Jews do.
As an American Protestant I wonder about that one too. Maybe or maybe not about the exact same specifics you do, can't determine that since I don't know which specifics you do. There is reason that material in it still matters but most of it was by for and about the Hebrews/Israelites/Jews, not us gentiles.

As for those quite a few Christian leaders they must be ones which I pay no attention to and/or don't even know they exist.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2017, 2:10 pm

Playing in Google to see some about which leaders say what found this. And I have a question about it - why isn't the church doing that itself instead of pushing it off on the government to do?

Quote:
In June, a diverse group of Christian leaders gathered at the National Press Club on behalf of the Circle of Protection to protest potential budget cuts targeting the poor. Representing the full range of Christian traditions, the speakers spoke with prophetic urgency about Jesus' call to care for the poor, the sick, the elderly — the very people the administration's budget would hurt the most.

https://sojo.net/articles/series/christ ... udget-cuts

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2017, 7:05 pm

of these modern day Pharisees, I am reminded of Jesus' comment about those in his day, "they strain at gnats but swallow camels."

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2017, 7:16 pm

auntblabby wrote:
of these modern day Pharisees, I am reminded of Jesus' comment about those in his day, "they strain at gnats but swallow camels."

I'm glad that some Christians are like this.

If Jacques Ellul were alive today, he would be saying the same thing.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2017, 8:11 pm

DarthMetaKnight wrote:

I don't think that all Christians are like this, but quite a few Christian leaders (especially American protestants) have been rather crazy lately.

Lesson Learned: The people who say "New Atheism is over." are wrong.

Lots of people think that the "New Atheism" movement ended after Thunderf00t got booted from Freethought Blogs. In reality, it's not over. We still have a ton of work to do. Could we put aside all of this MRA drama until after the Trump presidency is over? That would be great.

Most jews are secular but religious jews have varying levels of adherence to the OT, often more so than christians. Many christians consider the laws in the OT optional and really only focus on Adam and Eve, the 10 commandments, and the part that they think says being gay is a sin (in reality it just condemns cross dressing and sex between men, rape and inhospitality).

One reason even the most religious jews don't follow the OT exactly is because to do so would require reinstatement of the religious establishments that were in place before the diaspora, for example, a temple at which animal sacrifices could be made, religious courts with judicial authority in the land to exercise capitol punishment, and priests (kohanim/cohens). The kohanim (priestly class) is a special class in judaism, who are said to be the patrilineal descendants of Aaron, and ordained by God. Though this is an inherited status, it an be lost permanently in a variety of ways and cannot be re-established. It's said that a few known valid kohanim lines still exist among certain hassidic/haredi sects but no one is so sure as to have them perform in their full capacity as priests.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2017, 9:57 pm

This is just peachy
Of course Trump is such a virtuous man whom you can trust your "christian" daughters with
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 31891.html

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2017, 9:59 pm

cyberdad wrote:
This is just peachy
Of course Trump is such a virtuous man whom you can trust your "christian" daughters with
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 31891.html

not their own daughters but others' daughters may well be fair game in their minds, out of sight and out of mind.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2017, 10:15 pm

How about a less anti-Christian explanation? I grabbed this at random, he's not someone I follow.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2017, 11:27 pm

what exactly is a "right wing christian"?

Surely if Jesus came back he's not going to join the republican party, he'll be helping poor Mexican migrants find a home, have a beer with blacks in the hood, counsel downtrodden gays and be a good samaritan with muslim refugees

the hypocrisy burns

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2017, 12:03 am

the man in the video, was- in a mealy-mouthed and roundabout way- admitting that RWCs chose the orangehaired menace precisely to obtain political power to lord it over the rest of us who offend them because we are not like them.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2017, 3:17 am

auntblabby wrote:
the man in the video, was- in a mealy-mouthed and roundabout way- admitting that RWCs chose the orangehaired menace precisely to obtain political power to lord it over the rest of us who offend them because we are not like them.

Which translates to making an alliance with the devil

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2017, 4:58 am

They are hypocrites. Since so many have been caught in sex scandels maybe they see a little bit of themselves in him.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2017, 6:58 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
They are hypocrites. Since so many have been caught in sex scandels maybe they see a little bit of themselves in him.

In that case they must have really liked Clinton.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2017, 1:45 am

EzraS wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

In that case they must have really liked Clinton.

they saw Clinton as a class-traitor because he threw a few crumbs at the 99%. this modern breed of religious right winger worships not god, but MAMMON.

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2017, 4:13 am

Issues like abortion, teaching prayer in school, drugs, same sex marriage I guess. Some Christian groups like Catholics and Mormons have held out against Trump.