Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 11:48 am

https://www.thelocal.de/20170717/6000-strong-neo-nazi-music-festival-sparks-call-for-ban-on-far-right-gigs

Uh oh.

Hopefully, the people of Germany won't let history repeat itself.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 5:14 pm

I doubt the Germans are going to fall for that crap a second time.
I think the question here is, why? The why has to do with just where in Germany the music festival was held. It's in the state of Thuringia, formerly a part of the old East Germany, and still suffering under economic depression compared to the rest of Germany. That, and after spending decades under the authoritarian rule of the communist party, right after the Nazis, there hasn't been a long period of time for democratic acculturation for many former East Germans.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 5:45 pm

Shouldn't the attendees at the concert be monitored as potential terrorists?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 5:52 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Shouldn't the attendees at the concert be monitored as potential terrorists?

You would think. And I wouldn't be surprised if German intelligence is.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 6:29 pm

I read some of these characters are "Odinists" trying to imitate pre-christian pagan rites attending far right festivals including consumption of mushrooms...I would be worried if I was a parent of these "little darlings" as it might involve human sacrifice

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 7:16 pm

cyberdad wrote:
I read some of these characters are "Odinists" trying to imitate pre-christian pagan rites attending far right festivals including consumption of mushrooms...I would be worried if I was a parent of these "little darlings" as it might involve human sacrifice

Yep, the All-Father demands human blood! :twisted:

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 7:27 pm

...My idea of Thor is rather based on the Marvel Comics' Mighty Thor vetsion...which I suppose was rather nicened up!! !! !! !! !! ! :P
Just as, to get DC in here, our idea of the Amazon's is rather based on Wonder Woman"s portrayal :mrgreen: :wink: 8) :P! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

"Kraichgauer"]

cyberdad wrote:

Yep, the All-Father demands human blood! :twisted:[/quote]

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 7:30 pm

cyberdad wrote:

Well may Odin frown upon them.... It's idiots like that which make people think displaying nordic symbols makes you a neo-nazi. Isn't it enough that the nazis hijacked the swastika and turned it into a symbol of hate...now they want to tarnish runic and nordic symbols to?

And hopefully with such a negative, hate filled event they'll all have bad mushroom trips.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 9:58 pm

Quote:
Far-Right Music Festival In Germany

So what?? :shrug:

A tiger can't hide his stripes forever and that German guilt thingy has to be getting old by now. I'm not for banning music or harassing people for listening to it. That sort of intolerance and authoritarianism is more in line with what I know as modern liberalism.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2017, 10:06 pm

Raptor wrote:
I'm not for banning music or harassing people for listening to it. That sort of intolerance and authoritarianism is more in line with what I know as modern liberalism.

But I guess for you it's ok these "free spirits" can be intolerant and harass minorities living in the area where the concert is held

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 10:16 am

cyberdad wrote:
Raptor wrote:
I'm not for banning music or harassing people for listening to it. That sort of intolerance and authoritarianism is more in line with what I know as modern liberalism.

But I guess for you it's ok these "free spirits" can be intolerant and harass minorities living in the area where the concert is held

They can be as intolerant as they want as long as they don't become unlawful. Music is music and is not a crime in itself.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 11:41 am

Raptor wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Raptor wrote:

They can be as intolerant as they want as long as they don't become unlawful. Music is music and is not a crime in itself.

cyberdad has no business making judgements on music. He's like the Bible Belt morons who think all heavy metal music is Satanic except that he only saw one white supremacist band and then makes this strange conclusion that all rock music is white supremacist despite how there are bands from all walks of rock music with different ethnicities as well as the fact it's played in countries all over the world. White supremacist bands are in the extreme minority.

Keladry
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 1:20 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
I doubt the Germans are going to fall for that crap a second time.
I think the question here is, why? The why has to do with just where in Germany the music festival was held. It's in the state of Thuringia, formerly a part of the old East Germany, and still suffering under economic depression compared to the rest of Germany. That, and after spending decades under the authoritarian rule of the communist party, right after the Nazis, there hasn't been a long period of time for democratic acculturation for many former East Germans.

Agreed completely. I wouldn't worry about the music festival in Germany. While there are still some neo-nazis/far-right groups in the former east and you will occasionally hear about their rallys, Germany takes a very hard line against anything pro-nazi and/or glorifying of the third right. The constitutional rights guaranteeing free speech stop at anything having to do with that, and the average German will challenge it and will NOT stand for it. Even in the East, a lot of times there has been a far-right demonstration, there are many more counter-protesters than demonstrators.

Personally, the far-right movements occurring in the US right now are MUCH more worrying - the US does not have those stop-gaps, or the history to warn against it. The US also has a very strong culture of nationalism and blinding pride in country that Germans purposefully try to avoid today because of the role that it played in early/mid-20ths century history in their country. I'm not worried about Germany, more so the US.

Voxish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Aug 2017, 5:39 pm

As repugnant as these people are (and they really are) Germany is a democracy and with that goes free speech and expression (er...well to a point that is) There was much wringing of hands and protests when the leader of the British National Party was invited to to be a panel guest at the well respected BBC Question Time political debate show. There were protests outside to try stop him talking and he had death threats (all the things which racists traditionally engage in) The BBC did not back down and the show went on. What an excellent decision that was. He demonstrated in front of millions of people what a shallow, bigoted, political minnow he was, honestly it was awful. In the space of 50 minutes he destroyed whatever chance he may of had of winning a single seat. When the election happened there BNP were utterly destroyed....they never recovered :D Good 8)

BBC: Radio 4

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2017, 9:46 pm

Voxish wrote:
As repugnant as these people are (and they really are) Germany is a democracy and with that goes free speech and expression (er...well to a point that is) There was much wringing of hands and protests when the leader of the British National Party was invited to to be a panel guest at the well respected BBC Question Time political debate show. There were protests outside to try stop him talking and he had death threats (all the things which racists traditionally engage in) The BBC did not back down and the show went on. What an excellent decision that was. He demonstrated in front of millions of people what a shallow, bigoted, political minnow he was, honestly it was awful. In the space of 50 minutes he destroyed whatever chance he may of had of winning a single seat. When the election happened there BNP were utterly destroyed....they never recovered :D Good 8)

A good news story, brings a tear to my eye