Entire Dallas Cowboys team takes knee before National Anthem

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2017, 11:04 am

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/ear ... 50676c3a82

And yes, including owner Jerry Jones. They kneeled for about 4 seconds.

And then all players, coaches, and team personnel stood on the sidelines during the National Anthem.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2017, 11:16 am

I wonder if the kneeling was shown on tv or not.

That's a solution. Do it beforehand, and don't show it on tv.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2017, 11:27 am

Yes, it was shown on TV.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2017, 11:32 am

They may have finally earned their self-bestowed title of America's Team

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2017, 11:41 am

And, America's all about freedom. So, I do support the right of athletes to take a knee during the Anthem.

In fact, they're reminding us that we have problems to address and work to do in order to more nearly meet our aspirations. So, in that sense, these good athletes are caring about the broader community and are being patriotic.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2017, 12:03 pm

AardvarkGoodSwimmer wrote:
And, America's all about freedom. So, I do support the right of athletes to take a knee during the Anthem.

In fact, they're reminding us that we have problems to address and work to do in order to more nearly meet our aspirations. So, in that sense, these good athletes are caring about the broader community and are being patriotic.

You're OK with a disgruntled football player like Kaepernick getting a few seconds of air time to promote "white nationalism" ?

It's all about freedom, right ?

Maybe the player makes the "white power" salute like Kaepernick does with his black power salute.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2017, 12:06 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:

You're OK with a disgruntled football player like Kaepernick getting a few seconds of air time to promote "white nationalism" ?

Maybe the player makes the "white power" salute like Kaepernick does with his black power salute.

Zero historical context.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2017, 12:09 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:

Zero historical context.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer said this is based on "freedom".

This has nothing to do with "context" (whatever that means).

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2017, 12:14 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:

Zero historical context.

Headdesk. Freedom for black people in the US has everything to do with context. Power in the US has a historical context that relates to this. If you don't understand the meaning of a word, look it up.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2017, 12:16 pm

Colin Kaepernick wasn't promoting white nationalism.

He took a knee during the Anthem to draw attention that we weren't making enough progress on respecting the rights of African-Americans just like we respect the rights of anyone else.

In particular, Colin didn't think we were making real progress on police reform.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2017, 12:18 pm

LNH is trying to sell a false equivalence between white power and black power, and asking what we'd say if a player gave a white power salute. It would be funny, I'll admit.

Let me spell it out, since it's the same argument as for using the specific phrase "Black lives matter." LNH and that crew all want to say, "How can you call America racist? Look at all the times we've stopped abusing black people! There are too many to count!" They don't realize they're asking themselves if they've stopped beating their wife, and answered that they've stopped again and again.

Black people have less power, for a variety of historical reasons. Lots of blame falls on white power movements. Fact. Black lives appear to matter less, in that black people get killed relatively more often, more quickly, and with fewer consequences.

Last edited by jrjones9933 on 26 Sep 2017, 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2017, 12:19 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:

Zero historical context.

Headdesk. Freedom for black people in the US has everything to do with context. Power in the US has a historical context that relates to this. If you don't understand the meaning of a word, look it up.

Now your putting words into AardvarkGoodSwimmer's mouth.

You portray him as a racist.

He didn't say that he only supports "black people to have freedom".

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2017, 12:21 pm

Colin Kaepernick wasn't promoting white nationalism.

He took a knee during the Anthem to draw attention that we weren't making enough progress on respecting the rights of African-Americans just like we respect the rights of anyone else.

In particular, Colin didn't think we were making real progress on police reform.

You said players should have freedom to protest.

So, the next player might be a white nationalist who does that kind of protest.

I would assume you support that player to have the freedom to do that.

Maybe the player makes the "white power" salute like Kaepernick does with his "black power" salute.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2017, 12:27 pm

I absolutely support players having that freedom. Freedom has nothing to do with how the team responds. The players and management understand the difference between black power and white power, even if you pretend not to.

The black power CK et al want consists mainly of the power not to get killed so easily by cops. Seems fairly tame. I wonder what kind of white power people could possibly want? Based on the evidence, white people have that power already, and the power to risk less by killing black people than black people risk by killing them. No one should be killing anybody, but it happens and we should deal with it without regard to race. Death penalty statistics paint a very different picture, if you look at the race of the victim.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2017, 12:40 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
I absolutely support players having that freedom. Freedom has nothing to do with how the team responds. The players and management understand the difference between black power and white power, even if you pretend not to.

The black power CK et al want consists mainly of the power not to get killed so easily by cops. Seems fairly tame. I wonder what kind of white power people could possibly want? Based on the evidence, white people have that power already, and the power to risk less by killing black people than black people risk by killing them. No one should be killing anybody, but it happens and we should deal with it without regard to race. Death penalty statistics paint a very different picture, if you look at the race of the victim.

Kaepernick was a disgruntled player that wanted to be traded.

The next disgruntled player might simply want the same.

The next disgruntled player might invent some offensive political protest to make people angry.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2017, 12:41 pm

Just for the record, Colin Kaepernick is a biracial guy.