Sandy Weill Says Big Banks Should Be Split Up!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2012, 12:13 pm

CLICK TO SOURCE

Quote:
"What we should probably do is go and split up investment banking from banking, have banks be deposit takers, have banks make commercial loans and real estate loans, have banks do something that's not going to risk the taxpayer dollars, that's not too big to fail," Weill told CNBC. "If they want to hedge what they're doing with their investments, let them do it in a way that's going to be mark-to-market so they're never going to be hit."

They should be broken up, said Weill, "so that the taxpayer will never be at risk, the depositors won't be at risk, the leverage of the banks will be something reasonable..."

Bloomberg explains why this is a big deal:

"Weill helped engineer the 1998 merger of Travelers Group Inc. and Citicorp, a deal that required repeal of the Depression-era Glass-Steagall law that forced deposit-taking companies backed by government insurance to be separate from investment banks. The New York-based company became the biggest lender in the world before almost failing and taking a $45 billion taxpayer bailout in 2008."

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2012, 3:27 pm

It is worthy of note that these are precisely the kinds of walls that exist in the Canadian and German banking systems, and that did not exist in the American and British banking systems.

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2012, 8:48 pm

Iceland jailed the fraudulent bankers and their economy recovered nicely

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2012, 9:14 pm

I belong to a credit union.

Oldout
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2012, 10:52 am

I find it interesting that Republicans are petrified of big government, but fail to see the dangers of too big to fail banks. It's almost as if the past five years never happened.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2012, 7:37 pm

Oldout wrote:
I find it interesting that Republicans are petrified of big government, but fail to see the dangers of too big to fail banks. It's almost as if the past five years never happened.

The government has covered their sorry a**es which is exactly what the counted on.

ruveyn

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2012, 8:32 pm

shrox wrote:
I belong to a credit union.

Me to, because my wife and I finally got too sick of Bank of America's wickedness and iniquity.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

japan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Aug 2012, 6:48 pm

Obama had a chance to regulate over the counter swap contracts and reinstate glass-steagall; his party had bigger majorities in congress than either party has had since carter. He's closer with america's financial elite than any other president in history. He's totally corrupt and incompetent.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2012, 2:45 pm

japan wrote:
. . . his party had bigger majorities in congress than either party has had since carter. . .

The problem is the internal Senate rule on filibusters (which I don't think is anywhere listed in our U.S. Constitution) and the Republican party overuse of threat of filibuster and actual filibuster.

More I think about it, I am against filibusters (Jimmy Stewart in "Mr. Smith Goes To Washington" notwithstanding!).

So as it now stands, 60 or 61 Senators out of 100 is a bare, bare majority.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2012, 2:59 pm

Following is an editorial from the New York Times from about a month ago, kind of on the other side.

Quote:
OP-ED
“Regulate, Don’t Split Up, Huge Banks”
By STEVEN RATTNER
Published: July 31, 2012

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/01/opini ... ction.html [click upper right to skip ad]

“ . . . So the bank merger frenzy that Mr. Weill set off in the late 1990s was not the proximate cause of the financial crisis. Nor was the concentration of our banking system, which is less centralized than those in Britain, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Switzerland and many other countries.

“What brought our financial system to its knees was old-fashioned poor management that expanded the banks’ portfolios and activities too aggressively without sufficiently robust risk controls, enabled by lax (or nonexistent) oversight by regulators. Many of those excesses were concentrated in the housing sector, where a now legendary bubble formed without regulators or industry leaders recognizing it. . . ”

Now, perhaps the NY Times invites a variety of editorials, on a variety of points of view, okay, sure, to some extent.

But also, me personally, I think they are probably more pro-establishment, rather than liberal.