15-year-old collapses after too much World of Warcraft

Page 2 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Smackerlacker
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Dec 2008, 11:40 am

I just have one question, what were this kids parents doing while he was up all night playing games? And as for games being designed to be addictive... Duh? If it wasn't rewarding people wouldn't play. The same goes for any other game. Poker anyone? Nobody complains when some guy blows his whole paycheck on video poker. How is World of Warcraft any different?

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2008, 11:49 am

WoW and Video Poker may not be the same thing exactly, but the net effects of each are virtually identical.

15 Dec 2008, 1:35 pm

Because kids can't gamble but they can play computer games. When an adult blows his whole check on gambling, it's his/her responsibility because he/she is an adult. When a child gets addicted to the internet, it's a big deal because he or she is just a child and it's the grown ups responsibility to direct them in life.

Also the internet addiction is a new disorder that is being recognized while gambling addiction is not.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2008, 1:55 pm

Spokane_Girl wrote:
Because kids can't gamble but they can play computer games. When an adult blows his whole check on gambling, it's his/her responsibility because he/she is an adult. When a child gets addicted to the internet, it's a big deal because he or she is just a child and it's the grown ups responsibility to direct them in life.

Also the internet addiction is a new disorder that is being recognized while gambling addiction is not.

But they both exist.

The child is not helpless to resist things like Internet addiction and sometimes it really isn't the parents' fault. Kids are often determined to get themselves into trouble.

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2008, 5:29 pm

another WoW miracle!

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2008, 6:29 pm

20 hours? As stated by someone else - lightweight.

I spent an entire weekend playing one game straight. Beginning to end + mission pack too. Only break I had was toilet, and food. I think I stopped to go to work though. I was trying it out and played for a bit, and came back and went for it.

kitsunetsuki
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Dec 2008, 9:37 am

One thing people don't realize is about one in a hundred people have epilepsy, and of those maybe five percent are photosensitive. Playing a game for 20 hours and being tired could always expose an underlying condition. That is why one person can play for twenty hours and have no problem and someone else can't. The thing that concerns me is whether the parents will just say "oh he was tired we have nothing more to worry about" and not get him screened.

I'm light sensitive play world of warcraft but take regular breaks during play to avoid seizures while playing.

sbcmetroguy
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2008, 12:15 pm

Spokane_Girl wrote:
Oh god. People neglect their responsibilities because they are too preoccupied over an online game. :roll:

Is it really that addicting? I sure am never playing one and won't let my kids get any unless he or she buys it him/herself without me around. I just won't let him or her play it on our computer unless he or she has his/her own.

To some people, it is. I find myself today wanting badly to resurrect my account after having canceled it twice in the past year. Not everyone can put it aside after a couple of hours like your boyfriend.

Just like autism vs. neurotypical, our brains are all wired differently! People on these forums should know this better than anyone.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

17 Dec 2008, 1:17 am

i hate video games. how can anyone be this memorized by them to pass out from playing too much? :lol:

gemstone123
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2008, 12:12 pm

Why didn't he eat properly. I mean I've got hooked on games but I always take break and eat. :lol: You can't really blame the game for it. Besides I know people who play for days and are fine. 8)

Tim_UK
Toucan
Toucan

19 Dec 2008, 4:55 am

Leeroy Jenkins!! !

LadyKathleen
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Jan 2009, 1:00 pm

i play video games but i could not get into wow(no offense) but something like that happening is nothing new. i knew someone who didnt go to work or school just played video games. another person got into academic probation at school. they have degree programs for game programing, development and design, if you like to play them so much why not make them?

Lev_is_me
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Feb 2009, 8:16 pm

I've heard too many similar stories to ever want to play that particular game. :?

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2009, 3:17 am

Not a bad way to go

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2009, 3:31 pm

Lev_is_me wrote:
I've heard too many similar stories to ever want to play that particular game. :?

just dont play over 10 hours!