15-year-old collapses after too much World of Warcraft

Page 1 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2008, 2:15 am

i could never play a game for 20hrs straight, no matter what it was. i would get bored after an hour or two.

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2008, 2:17 am

ive head storoes of non stop game competitions where people that went to hour 50 died

violet_yoshi
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2008, 9:40 am

I'm rather surprised, to not see any overreaching blame towards the video game industry, as is typical of such articles.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2008, 10:11 am

violet_yoshi wrote:
I'm rather surprised, to not see any overreaching blame towards the video game industry, as is typical of such articles.

The kids and the video-game industry are both to blame. These games are deliberately designed to be addictive & mind-destroying. Will the gaming industry plead innoncence? Will the gamers flat out deny? Where will the buck stop on this particular issue?

violet_yoshi
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2008, 10:25 am

slowmutant wrote:
violet_yoshi wrote:

The kids and the video-game industry are both to blame. These games are deliberately designed to be addictive & mind-destroying. Will the gaming industry plead innoncence? Will the gamers flat out deny? Where will the buck stop on this particular issue?

When people take responsiblity for their own behaviors, and stop blaming objects for their lack of restraint.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2008, 10:43 am

violet_yoshi wrote:
slowmutant wrote:
violet_yoshi wrote:

When people take responsiblity for their own behaviors, and stop blaming objects for their lack of restraint.

Fair enough, but these video-games are not mere objects.

violet_yoshi
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2008, 12:22 pm

slowmutant wrote:
violet_yoshi wrote:
slowmutant wrote:
violet_yoshi wrote:

So you're going to attribute magical properties to that which is no more than wires and metal parts?

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2008, 12:40 pm

WoW isn't even that - it's code. Some of the code is housed in your computer; more is housed in a distant server farm. It's maaaagic!

Chibi_Neko
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2008, 1:32 pm

slowmutant wrote:

What about the parents? Don't you think parents should monitor how much time their kids spend playing video games?

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2008, 1:36 pm

slowmutant wrote:
violet_yoshi wrote:

Something becomes addictive if it is good and enjoyable to the person doing it. It certainly is not designed to be "mind-destroying" at all. Nor is it the desire of any game designer to kill or incapacitate the user the user. Why would it be? A dead user is a non-paying user, at the most mercenary level, and at all other levels game designers are not some form of harsh monster. Millions of people DONT die through gaming every day. I game a lot, and I have a job, children, a home, family etc, and I am certainly not dead or dying. In fact I game with my partner, and several of my friends. Its quite a social experience.

Kirska
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2008, 3:49 pm

Spokane_Girl wrote:
Is it really that addicting? I sure am never playing one and won't let my kids get any unless he or she buys it him/herself without me around. I just won't let him or her play it on our computer unless he or she has his/her own.

lol.

if you only knew.

I have been trying to quit for 3 years. Usually I manage to break away for about a month then I get drawn back in. When you add up all of the time I've spent on my characters, I believe it adds up to something like 80 days spent online in the game.

violet_yoshi
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2008, 5:24 pm

I still don't see how it's the game company's fault that people can't pull themselves away from a game. Perhaps it is the social element in the gaming that people are addicted to, not the gaming itself. You rarely hear about these issues in regards to 1 player games. Maybe people should understand claiming that MMORPGs are addictive, is the same as saying a NTs need to constantly be social is an addiction. Of course since NTs out number people who play MMORPGs, and or are addicted to them, gaming's considered an addiction, while NTs merrily go along believing that being overly social is no less of an addiction.

04 Dec 2008, 6:09 pm

Kirska wrote:
Spokane_Girl wrote:
Is it really that addicting? I sure am never playing one and won't let my kids get any unless he or she buys it him/herself without me around. I just won't let him or her play it on our computer unless he or she has his/her own.

lol.

if you only knew.

I have been trying to quit for 3 years. Usually I manage to break away for about a month then I get drawn back in. When you add up all of the time I've spent on my characters, I believe it adds up to something like 80 days spent online in the game.

People could at least limit their hours playing the game lets say three hours or one. My bf plays an online game and no way does he play it all day. He plays it for a few hours and then he is done. He doesn't neglect his responsibilities. He only plays it if he has time. He might be playing it even more less when we have a kid.

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2008, 11:16 pm

Games are this year's Judas Priest.

I remember when listening to Metallica made you a satan-worshipping child-molester. It so does not, and never did.

Previous to my time, listening to the Rolling Stones had a similar effect. Before them, Buddy Holly.

It goes like this.. Your child died playing warcraft. YOU ARE s**t AT PARENTING. NOTHING MORE. No doubt in 1294, parents were worrying that their children were all into crusading or some similar event.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2008, 8:07 am

violet_yoshi wrote:
slowmutant wrote:
violet_yoshi wrote:
slowmutant wrote:
violet_yoshi wrote:

So you're going to attribute magical properties to that which is no more than wires and metal parts?

No more than I'd attribuite magical qualities to crystal methamphetamine, which is nothing but household chemicals jumbled together.

Smackerlacker
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Dec 2008, 11:40 am

I just have one question, what were this kids parents doing while he was up all night playing games? And as for games being designed to be addictive... Duh? If it wasn't rewarding people wouldn't play. The same goes for any other game. Poker anyone? Nobody complains when some guy blows his whole paycheck on video poker. How is World of Warcraft any different?