Just NVLD 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Just Aspergers/HFA 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
Other 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 6

brandonb1312
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Jul 2015, 5:39 pm

So I'm kinda confused as to if I have Non Verbal Learning Disabilities and/or aspergers/hfa or not. I haven't done any official testing (but have been professionally diagnosed with ocd) and probably won't be able to get in for a month or two, but I have always felt like a alien trying to adapt to a different species. So I'm just gonna type about my behaviors and stuff and you guys tell me what you think.
While I don't remember/know much from being a young child I apparently talked to my parents/family alot, but when i started preschool I barely talked at all, so much so the teacher actually had me do pre school twice. I have hand flapped when I get excited since I was a kid and still do now at 15 years old. I also find myself rubbing the keys on my keyboard when I feel excited. As I got into my teen years I began to realize something was off. In class I always had a hard time with math, especially geometry. But often I struggled in other classes with science probably being the 2nd hardest for me. I had a hard time understand or processing the bigger concepts and ideas. Information tends to go through one ear and out the other, usually not because I wasn't paying attention, but I just can't understand the details fast enough. I struggle with handwriting and drawing/ coloring. Social Studies is probably my best non reading class (until we start using maps or do geography) because usually all you have to do is memorize information, and not understand a huge concept or idea. I couldn't see/understand things that everyone else in the class got so easily. I also struggle with motor skills. I didn't learn how to tie my shoes or ride a bike until late. I have a ridiculously hard time with tying things, sports, etc and often come across as lazy or rude when I really just don't understand how to do it. When the teacher puts a new seating chart on the board I can't figure out were to sit because I can't transfer the chart to actual reality if that makes sense. Despite all of that I am a extremely fast reader. I even won a contest for reading the most words in 3rd grade. But even so recalling information from the stories is sometimes hard but I definitely get through it.
So that is a general explanation of my academic problems now lets talk about the socialization. Making friends has always been a challenge for me and I am only recently starting to understand why. First I definelty have social anxiety, I worry about little things I said hoping I didn't accidentally offend or upset someone. I am also just generally afraid of being judged. I have a hard time coming up with things to talk about. I prefer to be around more than one friend because that way they can come up with topics and I can just join in. I typically don't like talking about myself or things I enjoy, like when I go to the movies and someone asks about the movie I get anxiety and don't really know why. Despite that I often really want to talk about something I'm into or doing but am afraid to. But I am not always shy though. Once I get comfortable I can be loud and annoying. Some classes I am considered the class clown and others I am the quiet shy kid. After conversations I have with people I often think of all the things I could have said. Often I talk to myself pretending I am in a certain social situation. Sometimes I don't get sarcasm or take things literally but I can be very funny and joke around with people. I generally can recognize when someone is mad or sad, but often I have a hard time understanding why there feeling what there feeling and don't feel empathy. Thats not to say I'm never empathetic. If I can relate or for whatever reason it may be I can feel very sad for people. My honesty often makes people mad or offends/annoys them though that is rarely the intention. I sometimes struggle to know the socially appropriate response, like if someone asks me if they think something is good or bad it can be hard for me to verbalize how I feel, good or bad. Or if they laugh or smile even a little I might start uncertainly laughing. When I put my hands in my pockets I immediately wonder if its awkward to do that or not or if I sometimes won't know what I'm supposed to do with my hands. Eye contact makes me very uncomfortable. Often I don't know if I'm supposed to just stare at them or look around a little. I am generally considered awkward. I really only have 3 friends I talk too after school. I spend most of my time alone in my room. Isolation is a problem for me. It makes me comfortable as I often find social situations draining and they make me uncomfortable. If there's something I want to know more about I can obsessively research it for hours like I have been doing with aspergers and nvld. A weird interest I have is album sales. Ill often continuously look at rap album Wikipedia pages looking at the sales (I also look at album information like reviews and concepts on Wikipedia but sales are one little thing I have always found interesting.) I will also watch interviews and various videos with/about various artists. I also watch videos about news and gaming news (though gaming has been boring me a little lately). I love hip hop. When I listen to it I flap my hands and sometimes get my xbox controller and mash the buttons with it in my right hand. I do this when I am excited never when I am nervous. I am over sensitive to lights, noise and being touched. Sometimes when things are loud or there is multiple noises that are loud I will feel weird when everyone else is fine. Also when I am going to bed the low light on my alarm clock or any other tiny lights makes it impossible for me to sleep without covering my face. When people touch me I get jumpy, like I feel like I'm being tickled even if they just put there hand on my leg or something.
I also suspect I might have mild to moderate adhd as I often will get a idea in my mind and forget it quickly and a recurring problem for me is walking into a room to do something and forget what I came in there to do. I also can quickly get bored of videos or games and stuff like that if I'm not super interested. Also in class paying attention to a lesson can be difficult.
I have been to a psychiatrist for anxiety and depression. My depression is better but the anxiety is only mildly better.
So I start googling about aspergers and nvld and I'm 99.9% sure I have nvld. But apparently stimming is not a sign of nvld and many people have aspergers and nvld so I began to think I fit the criteria for both of them. But I am not sure if my social problems are severe enough to be considered for aspergers/hfa.
So what do you guys think? All opinions are welcome.

You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2015, 8:57 am

sorry that one vote was from me and made by accident, but did you have a speech delay and do you have any special interests?
The stimming could theoreticly (?) be caused by your ocd (not sure though but I think it could)
If you had a speech delay then as/hfa if not probably nvld

brandonb1312
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 Jul 2015, 12:55 am

teksla wrote:
sorry that one vote was from me and made by accident, but did you have a speech delay and do you have any special interests?
The stimming could theoreticly (?) be caused by your ocd (not sure though but I think it could)
If you had a speech delay then as/hfa if not probably nvld

I do not believe the stimming is OCD related as when I do it I get a feeling like it's helping to stimulate my excited emotion not like my few ocd compulsions i have were it's just resisting the idea to do something I think of in my head. When I was young I was obsessed with space. When I was a little older I became obsessive with conspiracy theories in particular area 51 and aliens. Now I am obsessed with hip hop music. I will look a wikipedia pages of albums and itunes charts and I listen to hip hop constantly. I have also become obsessed with aspergers simply because I could possible have it. I constantly look up stuff about it. I do have other interests like current events, gaming, and conspiracy theories still interest me but there not really that obsessive or they only temporarily get me re obsessed with them. As far as a speech delay I believe I started talking at a normal age but I actually had to do pre k twice because the first year I would barely talk to anyone. I talked to my parents a lot at that time but when I got to pre k I was silent. So I don't know what that tells you but yeah :lol:

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2015, 5:33 am

Based on your stimming and obsessions I'd say aspergers. It could possibly be nvld but I think aspergers would be more likely

brandonb1312
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 Jul 2015, 5:42 am

teksla wrote:
Based on your stimming and obsessions I'd say aspergers. It could possibly be nvld but I think aspergers would be more likely

Yeah but based on what I have seen with people with aspergers I don't feel like i'm socially impaired as bad as people with aspergers. If I do have aspergers I believe it would have to be coexisting with nvld as my mathmatics and visual spacial skills are pretty bad.
I recently typed out a long thing explaining why I feel like my social skills aren't impared enough do you mind if I copy and paste it and send it to you? (not pm necessarily it's just pretty long)

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2015, 6:17 am

Based on the fact that no one here is qualified to make a diagnosis, I think that what you have is the need to consult an appropriately-trained professional.

brandonb1312
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 Jul 2015, 6:21 am

Fnord wrote:
Based on the fact that no one here is qualified to make a diagnosis, I think that what you have is the need to consult an appropriately-trained professional.

i understand that and know i am not going to get a concrete answer on the internet. But asking the objective opinions of others who would know more about this condition than the average person can help me rule out or lean towards certain conditions.