Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

PIgeek
Raven
Raven

13 Dec 2016, 4:34 pm

hi, i have not an official diagnosis and i am not sure if that is good or not. how did you get your, if you have? i think i may be asperger and since i was little (now i am 15) my parents know i am different, i do strange things sometimes and i have almost no friends, i have some obsessions like technology and learn PI. is a diagnosis important for you? especially at school? do you think 15 is too late (and so it must be anything alse)?
thanks and sorry about my grammar :)

and the white knight is talking backwards
and the red queen is off with her head
remember what the dormouse said
feed your head, feed your head"

White rabbit -
Jefferson Airplane

Lavender33
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Dec 2016, 12:45 am

Hello!
I was just officially diagnosed about a month ago. I started to suspect I was autistic a few months before that, and I'm thirteen now. So no, I don't think fifteen is too late. In fact, there are many people who were just diagnosed at 45 or 27! It's never too late.

I have not been brave enough to tell anyone yet. My school doesn't know yet, although I am debating telling the school because of an awful situation that could be fixed, but so far, no, nothing's much different.

The way I got my diagnosis is by doing a lot of research, getting to the point where I was nearly certain I had Asperger's, then telling my mom, who then contacted the people, and I was brought in for testing.

By the way... the testing is weird. Not in a particularly bad way, just... weird. Friendly heads-up.

If your parents already know that you think you have Asperger's, then you're set. If they don't, tell them. You need them to know so you can get a diagnosis.

PIgeek
Raven
Raven

14 Dec 2016, 1:06 am

hello, my mom think i am and my father don't know, however both them think i have a mild (very mild) form so a diagnosis might be just a laber and not a help... but what do you mean when you say "weird"? i have already a diagnosis of ADHD and it is a questionnaire. i suppose they are very different. thanks for your answer :)

and the white knight is talking backwards
and the red queen is off with her head
remember what the dormouse said
feed your head, feed your head"

White rabbit -
Jefferson Airplane

Lavender33
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Dec 2016, 3:03 am

It's not too bad or anything. Just not what you'd expect... probably.

I don't think I'm supposed to say any more than that, actually. Sorry.

DancingCorpse
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2016, 11:58 pm

After falling out of the bottom of the world when struggling to stay afloat in life had taken its toll, I did a lot of hard therapy and discovered I was mentally unwell then I had a period of reflection and further digging armed with the knowledge I had painfully and reluctantly acquired from my psychological excavating and I decided there was another layer that may hold the key to all else so pursued a few possibilities, turned out autism was the shadow, which had been my first and heaviest guess.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2016, 2:34 am

i was diagnosed at age 4 because....

actually, i don't know why...

maybe my parents wanted answers for their sons spastic-ness. they'd then deny the diagnosis for the better part of a decade.

whatever the case, i didn't find out until 8 years later

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

selflessness
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Dec 2016, 3:39 am

An official diagnosis is a big deal. You need it to apply for disability benefits in case your autism prevents you from working/finding a job or if you can't take care of yourself as well as everyone else. It's not cheap, but you should get diagnosed asap unless you are 100% positive that you'll be fine without any help.

xile123
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Dec 2016, 5:24 am

ive suspected something is wrong with me my whole life but i didn't suspect autism until around 19 years old and then confirmed it at 23.

Feanor
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Dec 2016, 3:18 pm

I've suspected for a few months now, but don't feel rushed into getting a professional diagnosis. If you have this, then you do whether or not someone else says so, and you always have had it and you always will. Besides- not that an official diagnosis is a bad thing at all- but if you are considering going into some careers like the armed forces or a few other professions, they can be varyingly strict about this. I think the military, until recently, banned people with diagnosed AS from serving (I could be wrong). Of course, if you're not interested in that, then it's a bit irrelevant.

Mind that once this is on your medical records, it can't be removed, so if you have a problem with that, and you're functioning well enough in society already, then you may decide you don't want to get diagnosed. However, once again, take your time with considering this- and maybe compile a list of reasons why you suspect you have aspergers (just to have, or to give your GP).
Answering your other questions, yes, I suppose I might like a diagnosis but the issue is that my traits (and I suspect AS itself) is so common in my family that my parents don't see it as a abnormality- rather, it's more of a not wholly-unexpected personality type somehow passed down the generations XD. Don't worry if your parents aren't with you on diagnosis, you can always get diagnosed as an adult, anyway :D .
About the problems at school- you can always talk to a teacher you trust (well, if there are any- fair enough if you don't) or develop strategies to work around them. PM me if you want to talk about it some more.

StarlitFire
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Dec 2016, 3:30 pm

As many others have said, it depends on what you plan to do with your life. I don't have that luxury to decide whether I should get a diagnosis, unfortunately, as I was diagnosed at the age of three.

I've always known that there's something wrong with me (or at least as long as I can remember) and it wasn't until I was ten when my father officially discussed with me, though.

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2017, 8:16 pm

I was officially diagnosed with autism, but therapists and parents treat it as asperger. My dad took me out to dinner and then we went to a bookstore. At the bookstore he got a book on autism and taught me a bit about, then told me I had it.

Sofisol612
Raven
Raven

23 Mar 2017, 3:47 pm

I was diagnosed by a psychologist when I was 4, but I don't think it was official:as far as I know, there is no document that proves it. My parents kept my diagnosis from me all my life, but they watched a few movies about autism with me, and when I was about 12 my mom gave me that book called "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime" after she read it and told me that its main character reminded her of me. When I read it I could relate to him in many ways, yet for some reason it never occurred to me that I might be an aspie. I only found out on January this year, at the age of 21, when I asked my mother, out of mere curiosity, whether my first psychologist had diagnosed me with anything in the 8 years of therapy I had done with her. She reluctantly agreed that she had diagnosed me with a "Pervasive Developmental Disorder". I didn't know what it was, so I googled it and made some research, and now I know.

I don't think I need any special service, so I have no reason to pursue a formal diagnosis or tell anyone but my siblings and my new psychologist about it, but that is a decision everyone should make for him/herself. 15 is not too late, though the earlier we know the better.

Autism Quotient: 30
Aspie quiz: 123/200 aspie; 75/200 NT
RAADS: 135

GhostMind
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Apr 2017, 11:43 am

I was told by my therapist and parents that I had Aspergers last year. However, my parents have known for a very long time before that, even when I was 4. A few of my teachers know, since my parents told them, and classes have been pretty nice.

Corny
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2017, 11:21 am

Well I don't have Asperger. I have what people call Classic Autism. But I assume I can still type on here so I'm going too. I was first diagnosed when I was 2 and again to see if I still had it at 15. And I still do.

wilt20000
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 May 2017, 10:22 pm

I've been aware that I probably, most likely, very well do have Asperger Syndrome for roughly four months now. It has yet to be officially diagnosed, but after much research, (mostly books) and talking with a psychologist for a couple years it seems inevitable that I have Aspergers. I always thought I was different as a kid, but I just sorta figured that I'd be like everybody else when I grew up. Unfortunately that never happened, and it took forever to find out what my issue is. It's definitely a bizarre feeling knowing that I straight up know that I'm different than thinking I'm just a little different and I'll get past my problems like a "normal" person. If that makes any sense. Just a life changing perspective y'know.

Redxk
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2017, 9:55 pm

At age 32 (2010). My psychiatrist had been through all the meds with me and really didn't know what else to do with me when my wife straight-up asked if he thought I had AS. He was honest and said he was older and not well acquainted with ASDs, but he referred me to someone who was. If only they all could be as honest.

Oops! I didn't realize that this is the Adolescent Forum.